personal pet peeve... - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 1:54 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
personal pet peeve...

Okay, so I understand the nature of the "hobby" for some...

My '75+ year old neighbor got a knock on his door yesterday. Guy wanted to buy the classic car in his driveway (usually in storage, but home for a few weeks).

Not a particularly desirable car; 1957 Chrysler Windsor station wagon. "poly" V8 (no Hemi), very nice original car, true survivor. Not perfect, but very nice, "one-family" owned...

Neighbor had considered selling, but not seriously... He told the guy $8k, the guy tried to negotiate, but the neighbor held firm... Guy agreed (pretty sure there was a hand shake)… Guy left to get cash (no deposit given?)… Guy returned a few hours later, and proceeded to haggle the price down further... Sure, I guess buyer-beware, and my neighbor has a pretty good idea of the value... Didn't need to sell, but was paying $120/month storage fees. He reluctantly agreed, and signed over the car. Car is supposed to be picked up later this week, so still at my neighbors house...

This afternoon (already), the car is advertised on Craigslist and facebook (photos are in my neighbors driveway), asking $14k...

The kicker, "selling due to health"... f'in sheister…
Clint44, Steve R, HKalin and 3 others like this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 2:54 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: personal pet peeve...

That BS. I have nothing against flipping, just the dishonesty of some flippers. The deal was done, the new owner can do what he wishes, but at least take it away first, then put some work into it before placing it up for sale. Also, don’t lie when negotiating.

Someone did that with my moms 24,000 mile 1984 Honda Accord. A guy knocked on the door asked if it was for sale, they said yes and agreed on a price, $2,000. When he came to pick it up he gave my mom a sob story about his wife’s purse being stolen and asked if they would reduce the price to $1,200 because they were financially strapped. My mom said they could hold the car until he had the amount originally upon. When my dad came out with the paperwork, he turns to him, in front of my mom, and gives the same sob story. My dad knocks $200 off of the price. It was listed on eBay within a week, bidding reached $5,000+ within 24 hours. The ad was full of lies, including he was selling it for his grandmother that could no longer drive. He also never returned the blue California personalized license plates, which he said he would, they were of the zip code of where my mom was born. I still watch the sellers account on eBay, two to three times a year, he lists a 1970’s-80’s low mileage car, that was purchased new by a family member, but has either passed away or no longer drives. There is a silver lining, a few months ago the current owner of my moms Honda called from Atlanta to ask about the history of the car. It eventually found its way into the hands of someone who liked it as much as my mom did.

Steve R
Clint44, HKalin and badrad like this.

Last edited by Steve R; Sep 17th, 19 at 3:16 AM. Reason: X
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 3:06 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1
Angry Re: personal pet peeve...

Scumbags.

I don't know how these bastards sleep at night, but when one is a sociopath minus a conscience I guess it's not a problem.
Clint44, 71350SS, HKalin and 2 others like this.

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 3:54 AM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
Okay, so I understand the nature of the "hobby" for some...

This afternoon (already), the car is advertised on Craigslist and facebook (photos are in my neighbors driveway), asking $14k...

The kicker, "selling due to health"... f'in sheister…
You should post an ad on craigslist yourself about the bull**** the guy is using to try to sell the car. Expose the moron. Take a picture of you beside the car and tell the story for people to see the truth.

Here it is. We should let the guy have it!
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto...980266298.html
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 8:51 AM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

when I sold my 71 c10 truck a few years ago I had a guy come and whine and tell me it's a father and son project etc. I told him my bottom dollar and he kept offering lower. I finally started raising the price everytime he offered less. He finally left after a hour and called back 15 minutes later says he'll take it the next day.
I made it perfectly clear the agreed price was the price. If he tried to offer a penny less the price would go UP 50 bucks for every offer he made.
He came and got the truck the next day and it was on craigslist the day after without a price. I got what I wanted for it so it didnt upset me, but he had a pontiac on the same ad, and someone posted about the guy wrestling the seller on it and was a flipper. jim
busterwivell likes this.

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 9:43 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

As Richard Rawlings, whom I don't care for says, the money is made on the buy side. Compound that with the ‘show me the money’ world and ‘money talks, bull**** walks’. These people just thinking they are being enterprising. The lesson is every purchase should be made based upon making money on it, which infers a discount from what a potential owner would pay. We are all going to suffer from these attitudes.

Mencken: “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 9:48 AM
Tech Team
Casey

Garage

If in the driveway at the old owners home... wondering if the car was still insured and if not Oooops did I do that?
Sorry shoulda coulda moved it!
TerryAT and Tophog like this.

1968 Malibu sport coupe to go with
my Barbie wife of the same year!
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 9:51 AM
Tech Team
Casey

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAT View Post
You should post an ad on craigslist yourself about the bull**** the guy is using to try to sell the car. Expose the moron. Take a picture of you beside the car and tell the story for people to see the truth.

Here it is. We should let the guy have it!
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto...980266298.html
Seller took away his contact info ... Ha wondering why...

1968 Malibu sport coupe to go with
my Barbie wife of the same year!
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 10:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jesse

Garage
I had a nice little 84 Z28 on craigslist. Guy calls/messages me umpteen times for a solid week. I sent him a video and a ton of pictures. He showed up and offers me $300 less than we'd agreed upon. I told him to have a nice trip home and walked in the house. He drove like two hours. Now I won't take any offers unless it's in person .
Steve R, langss, davewho1 and 1 others like this.

Jesse
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 10:52 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Casey View Post
Seller took away his contact info ... Ha wondering why...
I see;
Quote:
Call 484-919-0655 please no text
----

I guess some flippers try to sell before they buy.
a friend had a 70 Chevelle in his garage that he bought from a guy who had started restoration, replacing fenders, quarters and such.

An area dealer came to look at it and they backed it out and took pictures.

A couple of days later another friend called him and said "you sold that Chevelle I was interested in?"

It was listed on CL with all the pictures and they hadn't even bought it.

My friend called the dealer and gave them heck and told them to take the ad down and the friend that had said he wanted it wound up buying it.
LeoP and davewho1 like this.

post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 11:33 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6426yy View Post
Now I won't take any offers unless it's in person .
This is central to my negotiating tactic. People ask variations of "what's the least you will take?" My answer is I won't negotiate it until you have seen it. How do they know it's not worth what you're asking? Other than that, everyone just wants to pay less. I don't have any patience for it. If I'm wrong, I will work the market until it does sell rather than rely on the first one with a modicum of cash.
Chevycollecter likes this.

Mencken: “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 12:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Dont you love when they offer less and say "Cash, today"? How else did you think you were going to get it? Your looks!???
Chevycollecter likes this.
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 12:51 PM
Senior Tech Team
Joe

Garage

I saw that car on craigslist yesterday. That is a pretty sh!tty way of doing business... BTW... I'm a car dealer..

That is a really nice wagon. I would've paid the $8,000... and probably resold it a few months down the road after cruising it around.
Steve R likes this.

'67 ElCamino - Pro touring
and a few Pontiacs..
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 1:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

I don't know guys, I take a bit more of a pragmatic view in this case and others.

1.) Your neighbor is 75 years old and knows what he's doing: He's got years of life experience behind him and should be well versed on how to handle his own finances. Selling an asset to a stranger who has zero credit or relationship with him. Signing over the title without payment? (you didn't state he was paid cash at the second meeting). Allowed himself to be manipulated after an agreed to sell? Car is still not picked up? (Storage fee should be part of the deal and yes, Insurance?)

2.) With all due respect Tony: How do you know all of these insights to the deal? Where you present during the meetings? Why didn't you advise your neighbor regarding his own best interest?

3.) Who gives a flyin' rats keister what the lawful recipient does with his paid-for asset? He's the one with the problem regarding his own integrity, he's the one who has to live with that.

Why is anyone interested in what this guy does with his car, geez , what are we living in China now?
Not2Fast likes this.

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 1:51 PM
Gold Member

Probably most sellers who get an unexpected buy offer have not kept up with the current value of the car in their driveway. So they take whatever offer that seems OK. The buyer has likely planned the transaction in advance. So, if you have a car in your driveway that could be a potential sale item, check Craigslist and Ebay completed auctions from time to time to keep current. (Disclaimer: I did not do any research when I sold a car a few days ago. I took what seemed like a fair offer at the time.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in