Coming soon to your classic car collection - "sustainabilty" tax - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 6:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Coming soon to your classic car collection - "sustainabilty" tax

Shelby County Tennessee mayor wants owners of more than two cars to pay $145 extra a year for each car, with the proceeds going to support the money losing public transportation system.

https://wreg.com/2019/09/04/shelby-c...hree-vehicles/

I'm not posting to talk about this specific effort, but just to put it out there as a warning that Shelby County probably will not be the only jurisdiction to try this.
71350SS likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 6:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage
Re: Coming soon to your classic car collection - "sustainabilty" tax

The metro area I live in is "nuts" about Light Rail Transit. They spent 1 Billion dollars to build a line from downtown St. Paul to downtown Minneapolis. That 1 billion does not include operations costs and the fact that they doubled the size of the department of "bus cops" due to the expected level of crime on the new line. Nor did it include buying a former rail road depot to serve as a transit hub (at $250,000,000.00 which does not even include the cost of renovations to the depot). The line was meant to supplement an existing bus line. Light Rail running along side busses -- what the he!! kind of idea is that! Ridership never reached the "projected" levels and now transit operations is cutting back on the number of trains on the route and will no longer be a 24/7/365 operation.

The big deal in the news papers was the fact that since the line no longer will run 24/7/365, all the homeless folks how "live" on the trains will have to find different places to sleep.

1.25 Billion dollars wasted -- I bet they could have done something about homelessness with 1.25 Billion dollars.
shovelrick and 68Chevele like this.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 6:57 PM
Gold Member

Has anyone pointed out to these guys that no matter how many cars a person owns, they can drive only one at a time? The number of vehicles owned is not relevant to air pollution or anything else. The owner is already paying in more taxes on vehicles that are rarely used.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 7:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

We are experiencing a similar nonsense here in the Province of Quebec (Can) There is a "fee" charged on every vehicle registered to finance the public transit system. What I find is a real nonsense is the fact that since I'm not using the public transit system, why should I have to pay for it??? It's the users who benefit from it who should pay, not the ones who are not using it no? Does that make sense??

Claude.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 7:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jimmyradford

It's basically a personal property tax like VA has. You get charged every year for owning anything useful.

TC Member # 4431
'16 GMC Denali XL- 6.2L's are sweet
'07.5 Chevrolet 2500HD-6.6 D-Max
'07.5 Chevrolet Suburban
'67 Chevrolet Biscayne- SS427 L-36/TH400/10 bolt (Hers)
'67 Hell Camino-BB 427/TH400/4.10 (His)

"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-Orsen Wells

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and they're generally more useful.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 7:35 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
The metro area I live in is "nuts" about Light Rail Transit. They spent 1 Billion dollars to build a line from downtown St. Paul to downtown Minneapolis. That 1 billion does not include operations costs and the fact that they doubled the size of the department of "bus cops" due to the expected level of crime on the new line. Nor did it include buying a former rail road depot to serve as a transit hub (at $250,000,000.00 which does not even include the cost of renovations to the depot). The line was meant to supplement an existing bus line. Light Rail running along side busses -- what the he!! kind of idea is that! Ridership never reached the "projected" levels and now transit operations is cutting back on the number of trains on the route and will no longer be a 24/7/365 operation.

The big deal in the news papers was the fact that since the line no longer will run 24/7/365, all the homeless folks how "live" on the trains will have to find different places to sleep.

1.25 Billion dollars wasted -- I bet they could have done something about homelessness with 1.25 Billion dollars.
I know what happened on the Blue line and why it's not going in right now in the north metro of Mpls. Hennepin CO. and the idiots block BNSF and CP Rial a few years ago when they tried to but land and add a curve in the tracks to get more oil train in the freight yards at BNSF. Well one of our fine commissioners thought it would be smart to buy the land out from underneath the railroads and put a stop to it, guess what? now BNSF says no f-ing was to sharing their tacks with the project. That's what they get for pissing in the railroads wheaties.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 4:32 PM
Tech Team
grr

And here is the weasel clause

The $10 million in revenue will then be used to fund MATA each year. Harris says this proposal would generate millions for MATA's crumbling infrastructure and fight poverty.

The 'Fight Poverty' phrase is that never ending political sewer your money keeps falling into without any return for it. It also means they can raise it each and every year.

Just my .02.....grr

grr
Build Thread

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 5:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
Has anyone pointed out to these guys that no matter how many cars a person owns, they can drive only one at a time? The number of vehicles owned is not relevant to air pollution or anything else. The owner is already paying in more taxes on vehicles that are rarely used.
Tell that to my insurance company.

Two 72 Chevelle Malibus, both 350 2bbls one Placer Gold, one Midnight Bronze

Other cars:
2005 Pontiac Vibe
2005 Ford Excursion
2000 Dodge Durango
2003 Mercedes E320
2-2018 Ford Fusions
2013 Ford Fusion
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 9:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

It's "for the children.....".

bikeron likes this.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 10:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
Shelby County Tennessee mayor wants owners of more than two cars to pay $145 extra a year for each car, with the proceeds going to support the money losing public transportation system.
Nashville is also a "blue city" run by democrats. It's on the edge of financial trouble and we just voted down a 9 BILLION dollar light rail system. It would have ruined us financially and these morons were trying to get the people to do it.

A tax on multiple car owners would pass because we are a small minority.

The only way out from under their thumb is to move out of Davidson county.
Clint44 likes this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 10:39 PM
Senior Tech Team

Nevada, newly installed Democratic State government, tried for 5 years to get this done, finally, we now have to post our mileage, so we can be charged for road use, miles we drive, to pay more Common Core Curriculum worthless teachers higher salaries. They make 85K per year now.
Steve R likes this.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 10:40 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastforyou View Post
It's the users who benefit from it who should pay, not the ones who are not using it no? Does that make sense??

Claude.
this is my thought on schools.i have no kids and my wifes kids have been out of school for over 10 yrs yet the new 9 million dollar school bond raised my property taxes almost 600 bucks a year.why should i have to pay for a school i'm not using??and another beotch is that in the bond vote any adult in the school district can vote,yet its the property tax payers that foot the bill.my wife is retired and i'm close.i said we should sell the house hop in the motorhome license it in south dakota and travel the country.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 19, 6:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Location: No more land of OZ for me am back in the corn fields of Iowa!

Kansas City did a light rail a few years, they pushed it through. Promised to bring in money to the downtown area, its now being subsidized.

I do gonna ask, what the hell happened to the state of Minnesota?

Currently working on How to videos and replacement sheetmetal panels

1970 chevelle getting Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
1970 chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
1949 and 1972 chevy trucks
Pictures of my work

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 19, 7:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevt_chevelle View Post

I do gonna ask, what the hell happened to the state of Minnesota?

You mean beside all the leftists in Minneapolis/St Paul, or you wondering about the invasion?
TerryAT likes this.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 19, 8:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

well, he's already pissed off the Shelby County clerk.

https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2019/...-fund-transit/

Plus there is developing opposition to it even among people who support subsidizing the bus system. The unfairness seems to have struck a chord.

Plus, Shelby County residents already pay a $50 fee for education that was added in 1987 and was supposed to be temporary.

Anyway, I posted this on the Team Chevelle FB page when it came out and they deleted it and blocked me. I guess they should change their name to "Team Butthurt". lol
joeyv69ragtop and spinshop like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in