New Car Fever - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 1:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dustin

New Car Fever

So long story short my wife and I both work at the same location so we carpool everyday in our 2012 Dodge Durango Citadel. It's a very nicely optioned car with blind spot monitoring, adapter cruise control, and backup sensors/cameras. Our car is in dodge for some repairs (lifetime warranty on it). The repairs should have taken about 2 days to complete but due to delay after delay the car has been there for 1 week and will probably be there untill Wednesday at the earliest. In the mean time we've been driving my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 truck. I was wondering around the showroom the other day while they were looking some stuff up and they had a brand new Ram 1500 on the show room floor and it's a very very nice truck. It has made me miss our durango's features and I wish my truck had quite a few of them. There is not really anything wrong with my truck it's a quad cab long bed truck with 61,000 miles on it. It's got a couple minor wear and tear things on it I need to fix but it's in pretty good shape. The shocking thing is the window sticker prices on new trucks seem to be crazy high.

So here is my question how do you all combat new car fever? Both of are cars are paid for so it's awfully nice having no car payment but that truck was so nice.

1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Triumph TR6
1972 Chevelle - 396, 4 Speed
1992 Acura Integra
2002 Yamaha R1
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
2012 Dodge Durango Citadel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 1:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
steve

Re: New Car Fever

go look in your house's savings/checking plans. If you really can afford it go for it you live once...
HKalin likes this.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 1:34 PM
rkd
Team Member
Ron

Keep stoking the fire.

I am trying to work up to a new Mustang...
HKalin likes this.

66 Malibu Coupe, home rebuilt 350. Took me 39 years to get her!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 1:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

I don't get that fever any more. When I decide to leave my property, I have to make my mind up what to drive..........
my 66 Chevelle, 4 speed..........not if I'm parking in the Dr office parking lot.........it's too shiny and nice
my 56 210.........it's a total hoot, faded paint, lots of nice stuff like power windows, cruise control, 700R4....and I can park it anywhere
my 71 pickup...........just a work truck, some primer, lowered, BBC/700R4......if I need to pick something up or drop something off
I get lots of thumbs up with any of the 3
My wife drives an '01 Tahoe with 291,000 miles on it, and she doesn't want a new one.
I can't remember the last time I was on a dealer's lot or in a showroom.

66 Malibu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 1:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
terry

i always looked at the payment amount. My enthusiasm goes way down when that first payment is due...
Steve R and TerryAT like this.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 1:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Your Drs prescription:
Take a look at one or 2 year depreciation. That should be some good medicine for you.
Id never buy new again. Get a low mile ,couple yrs old "new" car. Still with warranty in my opinion, a better choice.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 2:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

New car fever is usually followed by new payment book nausea. Just think of it like knocking up a woman. Yeah, you are all excited with the anticipation of it going in, and you're not thinking straight because the blood is rushing away from your brain, but afterwards it goes back there, and then you start to realize you got a snot nosed brat that eats away at your soul, and you are stuck with a broad who after a few weeks ain't strange any more. She's no different than the one you traded in.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 2:17 PM
Tech Team
Casey

Garage

The huge door ding did it for me after we got the new truck! It wasn't big enough to claim on insurance but I could see it every time I got in the truck!

Have to agree with Terry on this one and take the 2 year old slightly used truck with lots left on the warranty!. You'll be glad you did.

Casey

1968 Malibu sport coupe to go with
my Barbie wife of the same year!
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 2:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

I usually take a nap, when I wake up the feeling has passed.
Clint44, TerryAT and Tophog like this.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 2:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Ask my wife about new car fever. When we used to go out for a drive she would ask me what dealer we were headed for today. With the internet it's a little easier can just check their inventory online and not hit every dealer in the state. Instead of getting into the conversation that you don't need a new car, around 2001 I started buying cars on my own and listened to the music when I got home.
davewho1 likes this.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 4:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dustin

To me it seems like used trucks are still so highly priced that it makes new almost worth it. Does everyone else feel this way or is it just me?

Also if they're offering 0% financing it makes it a little more attractive.

I probably won't buy one but I tend to keep cars for a while. My 2004 Ram I bought in 2008. Our 2012 Durango we bought in 2014 and just crossed 100,000 miles on it with a lifetime warranty so as long as they don't try to start voiding stuff on me we have no plan to get rid of it.

1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Triumph TR6
1992 Acura Integra
2002 Yamaha R1
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 4:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegguy View Post
To me it seems like used trucks are still so highly priced that it makes new almost worth it. Does everyone else feel this way or is it just me?

Also if they're offering 0% financing it makes it a little more attractive.

I probably won't buy one but I tend to keep cars for a while. My 2004 Ram I bought in 2008. Our 2012 Durango we bought in 2014 and just crossed 100,000 miles on it with a lifetime warranty so as long as they don't try to start voiding stuff on me we have no plan to get rid of it.
All of the used trucks out there seem to have a ton of miles on them and are crazy priced. When I go to buy a truck it will probably be new because of what you said. The other thing about HD and SD trucks is they are often times rode very hard, at least with new you are starting from a clean slate.

Two 72 Chevelle Malibus, both 350 2bbls one Placer Gold, one Midnight Bronze

Other cars:
2005 Pontiac Vibe
2005 Ford Excursion
2000 Dodge Durango
2003 Mercedes E320
2-2018 Ford Fusions
2013 Ford Fusion
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 6:50 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

I haven't bought a new car for years, they deprecate to soon.

The last few "new to me" vehicles I've bought were almost like new but depreciated a few years.

I watch for cars from relatives or people I know that are getting new ones and selling their old ones or thinking of trading them in, then i know the vehicle's history.

The last one I bought from the wife's hair dresser friend when her husband passed away but it's got a little over 100,000 miles on it now so I'm keeping my eyes and ears open.
TerryAT likes this.

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 6:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

I find all the newer technology in cars an annoying distraction. Body lines have been raised, a, b, and c pillars have been made thicker so you canít figginí see out of them in the name of safety, so they install cameras and clearance sensors that beep at you. Heating and cooling coming from the dash is just fine for me. I donít need it in the seats or steering wheel. And on and on.

Keeping it simple makes me content with an older vehicle.

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 7:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dustin

I don't know maybe part of the attraction is I've never owned a brand new vehicle and the wife and I have pretty decent jobs

1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Triumph TR6
1992 Acura Integra
2002 Yamaha R1
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in