Team Chevelle banner

New Car Fever

2K views 41 replies 31 participants last post by  70montee 
#1 ·
So long story short my wife and I both work at the same location so we carpool everyday in our 2012 Dodge Durango Citadel. It's a very nicely optioned car with blind spot monitoring, adapter cruise control, and backup sensors/cameras. Our car is in dodge for some repairs (lifetime warranty on it). The repairs should have taken about 2 days to complete but due to delay after delay the car has been there for 1 week and will probably be there untill Wednesday at the earliest. In the mean time we've been driving my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 truck. I was wondering around the showroom the other day while they were looking some stuff up and they had a brand new Ram 1500 on the show room floor and it's a very very nice truck. It has made me miss our durango's features and I wish my truck had quite a few of them. There is not really anything wrong with my truck it's a quad cab long bed truck with 61,000 miles on it. It's got a couple minor wear and tear things on it I need to fix but it's in pretty good shape. The shocking thing is the window sticker prices on new trucks seem to be crazy high.

So here is my question how do you all combat new car fever? Both of are cars are paid for so it's awfully nice having no car payment but that truck was so nice.

#4 ·
I don't get that fever any more. When I decide to leave my property, I have to make my mind up what to drive..........
my 66 Chevelle, 4 speed..........not if I'm parking in the Dr office parking lot.........it's too shiny and nice
my 56 210.........it's a total hoot, faded paint, lots of nice stuff like power windows, cruise control, 700R4....and I can park it anywhere
my 71 pickup...........just a work truck, some primer, lowered, BBC/700R4......if I need to pick something up or drop something off
I get lots of thumbs up with any of the 3
My wife drives an '01 Tahoe with 291,000 miles on it, and she doesn't want a new one.
I can't remember the last time I was on a dealer's lot or in a showroom.

#28 ·
No new car fever for us .... We bought a new Murano in 2013... The first
new car since 1988 .... It took us 3 days back and forth to the dealer sorting
thru the lies and the attempted hiding of rebates, to finally buy it at $10,535 below MRSP ...
this was a horrible experience we’ll never put ourselves thru again .....

Reactions: jeff swisher
#7 ·
New car fever is usually followed by new payment book nausea. Just think of it like knocking up a woman. Yeah, you are all excited with the anticipation of it going in, and you're not thinking straight because the blood is rushing away from your brain, but afterwards it goes back there, and then you start to realize you got a snot nosed brat that eats away at your soul, and you are stuck with a broad who after a few weeks ain't strange any more. She's no different than the one you traded in.

#8 ·
The huge door ding did it for me after we got the new truck! It wasn't big enough to claim on insurance but I could see it every time I got in the truck!

Have to agree with Terry on this one and take the 2 year old slightly used truck with lots left on the warranty!. You'll be glad you did.

Casey

#10 ·
Ask my wife about new car fever. When we used to go out for a drive she would ask me what dealer we were headed for today. With the internet it's a little easier can just check their inventory online and not hit every dealer in the state. Instead of getting into the conversation that you don't need a new car, around 2001 I started buying cars on my own and listened to the music when I got home.

Reactions: davewho1
#11 ·
To me it seems like used trucks are still so highly priced that it makes new almost worth it. Does everyone else feel this way or is it just me?

Also if they're offering 0% financing it makes it a little more attractive.

I probably won't buy one but I tend to keep cars for a while. My 2004 Ram I bought in 2008. Our 2012 Durango we bought in 2014 and just crossed 100,000 miles on it with a lifetime warranty so as long as they don't try to start voiding stuff on me we have no plan to get rid of it.

#12 ·
All of the used trucks out there seem to have a ton of miles on them and are crazy priced. When I go to buy a truck it will probably be new because of what you said. The other thing about HD and SD trucks is they are often times rode very hard, at least with new you are starting from a clean slate.

#13 ·
I haven't bought a new car for years, they deprecate to soon.

The last few "new to me" vehicles I've bought were almost like new but depreciated a few years.

I watch for cars from relatives or people I know that are getting new ones and selling their old ones or thinking of trading them in, then i know the vehicle's history.

The last one I bought from the wife's hair dresser friend when her husband passed away but it's got a little over 100,000 miles on it now so I'm keeping my eyes and ears open.

#14 ·
I find all the newer technology in cars an annoying distraction. Body lines have been raised, a, b, and c pillars have been made thicker so you can’t figgin’ see out of them in the name of safety, so they install cameras and clearance sensors that beep at you. Heating and cooling coming from the dash is just fine for me. I don’t need it in the seats or steering wheel. And on and on.

Keeping it simple makes me content with an older vehicle.

Devin

#15 ·
I don't know maybe part of the attraction is I've never owned a brand new vehicle and the wife and I have pretty decent jobs

#16 ·
Ive got the 19 ram new style,excellent truck.2018 outlander v6, 2016 mustang gt .I buy a new machine when the powertrain warranty runs out.In my area 5 years most vehicle are getting rusty and are trouble.Trouble is expensive nowadays ,Ive got a new home and own it,daughters finished university and no dept.Im 51 so im not gonna worry about much if i can help it.If you can afford new buy it,i never seen a brinks truck chasing the hearst to the cemetery .Life is short.

#24 ·
I understand the fever. I’m not a huge fan of all of the gadgets in new cars, though. I believe they make us worse drivers. We rely too much on them and stop paying attention to our surroundings. In my pickup (2015 Sierra SLE 1500) there are fewer gadgets. No blind spot monitoring, no “smart” cruise control, etc. It has a backup cam that I rarely look at. I’m so used to using my mirrors and looking over my shoulder because that’s how I was taught 25 years ago. I really like the Bluetooth connection, iPod hookup, heated seats, etc. Those are creature comforts, though.

#25 ·
The way I see it If your house is paid off and you have Zero credit card debt and money just piling up then get what you want.

My house is paid off took me 25 months and I have no debt only pay utilities.
I bought another house paid that one off in 5 years and made it a rental. Then saved more money and bought my 6th house recently with all cash.
I like to know I do not need to work for the man.

I have no desire to buy a new car.
I do buy old cars though when the opportunity knocks.
I got my first truck in 1987 it is a 1947 Dodge and I drive it today and also drive my 57 chevy 210 4 door.
In August I went to Texoma lake pulling my 20 foot pontoon behind the 57 210 with my AC on.

Less than 4000 bucks in my old vehicles and i enjoy them and they will be worth more anytime I decide to sell them which is when I die.

New cars make me angry.
Money loser.
Get a ding in the door from some fool on something that you work hard on sends me up the wall.

I just want to crack some dudes skull for disrespecting my ride.
I can't have something really nice. makes me too angry when it gets disrespected.

I will drive my old reliable stuff. The 57 chevy got 11.5 MPG pulling the 20 foot pontoon and that is with a 1969 350" with a 750 cfm carburetor. TH 350 trans, Ford 9" with 3.70 gears and 235-75-15 mud and snow good year wranglers.

My sons 2014 Chevy truck with 5.3 gets that same 11.5 mpg pulling my little 15 foot bayliner.
Junk in my book.

#26 ·
Chevy helped me out a LOT by making their new trucks really ugly.

My desire to buy a new one is completely gone.

#27 ·
Both of are cars are paid for so it's awfully nice having no car payment but that truck was so nice.
I thought the pool was next on the list?

#38 ·
Damn I guess I post to many of these.....:( for the time being we decided pool was way over inflated (70K base price) but point well taken.....

Reactions: 69SHEVL
#29 ·
I got sick of driving wore out high mileage trucks. Last year for my 50th birthday I went out and bought a brand new 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT. Paid cash and have no regrets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.