Who built these cars in the 60's and 70's? - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 1:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Dan

Who built these cars in the 60's and 70's?

I was checking out some posts and had a day dream...
Really not sure if it matters to put in this forum but plenty of people looking
at it regularly.

Maybe TC could start a Sticky somewhere or a forum for the folks that
really did build these cars new back in the 60's and 70's. [Factory Workers]
Could be alot of info those workers might share if they had a dedicated place to share the wealth of info and story's they have. Members here I would think could jog some memories and have plenty of questions. Might even get some new members that have been lurking?
davewho1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 1:35 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage
Re: Who built these cars in the 60's and 70's?

I didn't work in any factories that actually built the cars but I was a Toolmaker for a company that made a lot of fasteners that were used in these cars. We made bolts, nuts, washers, brake and fuel line clips, along with clips that held the window mouldings and side moldings on. The company was Anchor Fasteners out of Waterbury Ct. If you remove any of the items I mentioned and you see a Anchor on them that's where they came from.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 2:21 AM
Senior Tech Team

You may not find many on this or most other car related sites. The 1970 model year is now 50 years old, figure a 20 years for the younger line worker and you have 70+ years of age, at the lower end of the age scale. Personally Iíd want to hear from guys racing and modifying them as much, maybe more. It would be interesting to hear from anyone from engineering or design who might be able to elaborate on the choices GM made and why.

Steve R
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 2:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

I think they're all probably sitting in God's waiting room, wondering whatever happened to Vitalis, and waiting for a diaper change by now. No offense Dean.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 7:38 AM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

I talked to a few a local car shows. I only live 50 miles from the Baltimore assembly plant. The few I talked to where in there 70ís but still sharp. One started in the summer of 65 installing battery trays. The other started in 65 too as a quality control. Both where great to talk to.

Hank I go a some of your work in my car
HKalin likes this.

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 8:06 AM
Dale

I have a friend in his later 70's in town that is retired from the Atlanta plant. He told lots of story's of working on the line in 1970 Also have 2 close neighbors in their middle 70's retired from the same plant.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 10:07 AM
Senior Tech Team
gary

My father was a wood pattern maker at Chevrolet Tonawanda engine plant.
6T9 Chevelle likes this.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 10:12 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
I didn't work in any factories that actually built the cars but I was a Toolmaker for a company that made a lot of fasteners that were used in these cars. We made bolts, nuts, washers, brake and fuel line clips, along with clips that held the window mouldings and side moldings on. The company was Anchor Fasteners out of Waterbury Ct. If you remove any of the items I mentioned and you see a Anchor on them that's where they came from.
I always save your fasteners, clean them up on my wire wheel and use them over. They are better then the new stuff!!
427L88 and 64tempestwagon like this.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 10:52 AM
Senior Tech Team

Only story I have is knew a bunch of people that worked at the Van Nuys Camaro plant
They were all in/out of GM paid rehab, drugs were rampant, they could care less about cars lol.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 11:04 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKN BCK View Post
I was checking out some posts and had a day dream...
Really not sure if it matters to put in this forum but plenty of people looking
at it regularly.

Maybe TC could start a Sticky somewhere or a forum for the folks that
really did build these cars new back in the 60's and 70's. [Factory Workers]
Could be alot of info those workers might share if they had a dedicated place to share the wealth of info and story's they have. Members here I would think could jog some memories and have plenty of questions. Might even get some new members that have been lurking?
Not very many still around plus of all the people I know/knew that worked at KCMO Leads plant, KCKS BOP plant or at the Claycoma Ford plant, none are Chevelle enthusiasts so I doubt that they will ever come here.

I met a gentleman at a Chevelle cruise-in to an assisted living home a while back but he was a fork lift driver and didn't remember much.
Steve R likes this.

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 11:16 AM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Not very many still around plus of all the people I know/knew that worked at KCMO Leads plant, KCKS BOP plant or at the Claycoma Ford plant, none are Chevelle enthusiasts so I doubt that they will ever come here.

I met a gentleman at a Chevelle cruise-in to an assisted living home a while back but he was a fork lift driver and didn't remember much.
when I met the quality control person from Baltimore he quickly looked at my car made a nice comment told me that I had my tail light panel painted correctly (blacked out) told me that is how it was done and then walked way. I tried to ask him more questions but he shrugged it off and walked away. seems they don't care anymore

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 11:30 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

I was at an all GM car show back in around 88,89 or so when a guy was looking at my cowl tag and said to me "I painted this car" I said HU?
He said he could tell by the cowl tag that he was the one that painted it.
I never even thought to ask him more about it.

post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 11:47 AM
Gold Member

As individuals, those folks do not have comprehensive knowledge of the car building process. Each person had a narrow range of tasks. You might liken it having a job that involved doing things that are shown on only one page of the assembly manual book. An example could be installing a brake caliper and putting the hose into the bracket on the frame and tightening a couple of screws. That's it for him. Next car, please.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 12:01 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
As individuals, those folks do not have comprehensive knowledge of the car building process. Each person had a narrow range of tasks. You might liken it having a job that involved doing things that are shown on only one page of the assembly manual book. An example could be installing a brake caliper and putting the hose into the bracket on the frame and tightening a couple of screws. That's it for him. Next car, please.
That's right.
One of my friends only did the smoothing of the roof to quarter sail panel joint and about all he remembers is cars that were going to have vinyl roofs did not have to be near as smooth.
He doesn't remember much of anything about the rest of the assembly line.

When the Leeds assembly plant shut down, they gave the workers the opportunity of several different school classes for free and he chose body and fender school, then he started his own body shop.

post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 12:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
like the guy I talked too who's only job was the battery tray. one tray, and four bolts, then next

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in