oddly option cars - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 7:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Keith

oddly option cars

was talking to someone about 66-67 gauges could be ordered with any V8 car or truck and was not a SS only option. and it got me thinking has anyone ever sen a 66-67 base 300 with a V8 with factory gauges or any other odd option. or any other year car that was ordered in a strange way.

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 8:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Re: oddly option cars

Damn near every car I ordered was considered an odd ball by the new car salesman. Like bucket seats and column shift auto. Air conditioning and no tinted windows. Four speed station wagon. Turbo charged Corvair, four speed with special order 3.89 rear axle. And on and on.....
keithb likes this.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 7:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

6 cylinder/powerglide with 12-bolt posi. Bought a '67 El Camino, factory equipped that way, many years ago. It was shown on the window sticker that was still in the glove compartment.
davewho1 and 69Chvll like this.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 5:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

I knew a guy that bought a 1977 Plymouth Volare wagon with a bench seat and 4 speed (or maybe 3??) on the floor. If I know him, it had to be the cheapest way to buy the car. I remember getting in a being like "Huh?"
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 6:33 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Dad bought a new '94 Aerostar passenger van with a 5-speed manual. At the dealer they they had never heard of such a thing.

Back in the day when Chevelles were new there was great liberty in options. A '68 Chevelle 300 with max horsepower & a/c and nothing else. Gilbert Prope owned such car with C60, L79, M13. Blackwalls, manual steering & brakes, no radio, black rubber floor mats. No tint.

It's funny how the most powerful & squirrely cars had manual steering in order to minimize parasitic losses. Lose control in one of those babies and its over. Many could handle it though, it's a lost art.

As for the 66/67 gauges, they were Malibu Sport Coupe & convertible plus SS396 & El Camino Custom. 66 you could get them without a tach on six-cylinder cars, V8s came with full gauges & knee-knocker tach. 67 was V8-only & a switch to the blinker tach. Factory tach by itself was offered on all models, series & body styles as long as they are V8.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC Gold #120

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 6:37 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Quote:
Originally Posted by augy View Post
6 cylinder/powerglide with 12-bolt posi. Bought a '67 El Camino, factory equipped that way, many years ago. It was shown on the window sticker that was still in the glove compartment.
Was it a 3.55 ratio per chance?

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 7:54 PM
Gold Member

Dansk: That floor shifter in the Volare was probably the A833 overdrive trans which came out in 1976. Great good thing for fuel economy.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 8:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

The first Chevelle I ever owned was a 66 SuperSport, it was Marina blue with a black vinyl top and white interior that had bucket seats and console.A 360 HP 396 4speed car.I could never understand the black top and white interior? to me it just didn't look right.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 8:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
Dansk: That floor shifter in the Volare was probably the A833 overdrive trans which came out in 1976. Great good thing for fuel economy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansk View Post
I knew a guy that bought a 1977 Plymouth Volare wagon with a bench seat and 4 speed (or maybe 3??) on the floor. If I know him, it had to be the cheapest way to buy the car. I remember getting in a being like "Huh?"
Wasn't there something about those cars all being ordered by a public service type gas company? or the phone company? in Canada? or something? ordering a whole bunch of those station wagons all equipped the same way ? and I think they were all painted the same color too (yellow?)

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 1:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage

My 68 GTO was a 3 option car. AM radio, remote mirror, radial 205R tires. Came from a small town (population 2500) dealership. 350 HP 400 and a Dearborn 3 spd on the floor. Dad added a Stewart Warner tach and no other gauges.

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 1:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill Wente

Quote:
Augy, You gotta tell us again about your Sport Sedan!
BB68 likes this.

A few '67s and a '66
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 1:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Joe

Garage

Saw a '70 Monte Carlo one time. It was a 350 2bbl.. 3 speed manual on the column.. no radio (had the woodgrain delete plate).. and cloth interior with a vinyl top.. It was dark green on saddle.
71350SS likes this.

'67 ElCamino - Pro touring
and a few Pontiacs..
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 1:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill Wente

In '68 a guy rolls into the cruisers parking lot with a spanking new Dodge Coronet R/T, bright red with a bright blue interior. Somebody screwed up, he had waited months to get it, so he accepted it.

A few '67s and a '66
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 1:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

My FAKE 1970 SS 454 Sta. Wgn. started life as a 1971 NOMAD S.Wgn. The Nomads were the bottom of the Sta. Wgn. line/up. Rubber flooring no carpet,,, Solid ( and very cheap) plastic door panels. Manual rear window, The rear wheel well covers were painted black, The better Wgns had a vinyl & carpet covering, Cargo area was a thin rubber matt.
Very little or no, exterior " Bright trim ". Just a very plain Jane and very cheap low life Sta. Wgn.
Why did I drag it out of the junk yard? ( It was hit in the front, Not bad)
It had Factory C-60-A/C and Power Disc Brakes & Tinted glass. The makens of a perfect Hot Rod. Thats what I built, A FAKE / FRAUD 1970 SS 454 Sta. Wgn.
Bob

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 2:49 PM
Tech Team
James

Quote:

I found a 66 Malibu for sale with these options in my area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in