Interest in a new club. - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

View Poll Results: What is your interest area for a new Chevelle Club?
Printed periodical 30 35.29%
Online periodical 39 45.88%
Forum 70 82.35%
Archive of technical resources 64 75.29%
Help hotline 17 20.00%
National event 53 62.35%
Club discounts 41 48.24%
Advertising opportunities 5 5.88%
Participating in a leadership group 9 10.59%
Documentation or authentication services 32 37.65%
Add your own ideas 10 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

123Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 91 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 19, 7:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Daniel

Re: Interest in a new club.

Seems like it has slowed down quite a bit, I joined quite a while ago, now on the back side of my 30's.

I was searching through old posts yesterday because I knew that I documented a bunch of my process here over the years.

I go in/out of doing lots of stuff on my car every few years. Getting ready now to do some paint/interior work so will likely frequent those forums a bit more than usual!

1970 Chevelle - Best time at the WCCG 12.749 @ 108.606, 2.011 60' on street tires!

427 BBC, 215 heads, 2.19/1.88 valves with some port work, 60212 Lunati Hyd Roller, 3310 Holley 750, Performer RPM intake, TH350 with shift kit, 3.55 gears 12 bolt posi, Pypes 3 inch kit, it's alive... again!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 91 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 19, 8:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

It's not just slow here.... it's pretty much slow on any forum I frequent. And it's like that in the real world too. I'm a board member of a local gun club - and we can't get the membership to come out to events. AT ALL! It just seems that nobody has time for anything.

Now.... why not simply use this forum as the means to organize events? That's what we do on the SSR Fanatic site. It may have worked too well as quite a few folks actually thought it was a club site. Then the software was upgraded and the whining started.

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
post #48 of 91 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 9:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

There was activity in regional forums years ago that lead to many long lasting friendships and get togethers that remain to this day, as sites like these are designed to do. With permission from Al back then, the NW section thrived until shut down by Dean to promote activity in other forums as they where declining and he didn't approve of the multiple topics being discussed in one forum. In the end, that just lead to several dozens of members here leaving and starting another site. Not a bad thing over time I guess, but was a big blow to many then. Why not allow more activity in several regions as long as the content comes from and pertains to their region?

Mike
1966 SS Chevelle LQ4-4L80E
1965 SS Malibu Pro-street 489-glide (Best 10.49 @ 130)
post #49 of 91 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 10:30 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66SSFan View Post
There was activity in regional forums years ago that lead to many long lasting friendships and get togethers that remain to this day, as sites like these are designed to do. With permission from Al back then, the NW section thrived until shut down by Dean to promote activity in other forums as they where declining and he didn't approve of the multiple topics being discussed in one forum. In the end, that just lead to several dozens of members here leaving and starting another site. Not a bad thing over time I guess, but was a big blow to many then. Why not allow more activity in several regions as long as the content comes from and pertains to their region?
It was Dean's fault??
66SSFan likes this.

Mike

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AACA Senior Grand National
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #50 of 91 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 11:37 AM
Gold Member

That NW section puzzled me. Why was it necessary for a regional forum? Were they so special that they needed their own forum so that they would not be contaminated by mixing in with the rest of us?
It seems to me that having a site without regional distinctions is a pretty good way to bring people together from all over the continent.
Dean and boyd66k20 like this.
post #51 of 91 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 2:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member

Garage

If there were official regional affiliations, I don't see why there could not be an area in the forum that would be specific to the region - especially social events. However, IMO it should not cover topics that are of interest to all. For example, if you have a restoration forum, then those questions should be handled in that forum rather than in the regional sub-forum. I don't know why regional club members would want to limit the reach of their questions of interest to all to the regional forum.
Dean likes this.

Mencken: ďThe whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.Ē
post #52 of 91 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 3:23 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Pretty much Off topic here but as Paul Harvey said here's THE REST OF THE STORY

The concept of the regional forum that Al started was totally misunderstood and it became not only a division of members here but they felt that we needed there own separate forums so we wound up with a bunch of stuff that was duplicated in the wrong place.

I hated to see this forum start to be divided by separate groups and hated having topics posted in the wrong forum.

I felt that it was the beginning of an us against them sorta thing and I said lets keep the topics in their proper forums.

The regional thing was to be a place to get together and discuss meetings ETC, not a place to discuss topics that already had forums for.

Naturally, when a topic thread was started about something such as restoration, engine, body shop, electrical or whatever, other members not in that region would reply in the thread, so it became NOT a regional form.

Someone resented my suggestion to keep topics in our regular forums and got angry.

That's all.
Alan F, von, 71350SS and 3 others like this.

post #53 of 91 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 3:46 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Why don't you start a regional Chevelle club in your area Alan?

Starting the Mid-America Chevelle Club was one of the best things I ever did (well close anyway )

We have had almost 500 people join and because of our club I have met MANY GREAT people who share the same interest and became good friends.
There have only been two, yes two out of all of those folks that I know of who were jerks.

Mark Meekins was a great help with me starting the club back in 1987 and sent me names and information of a whole bunch of people close by that were NCOA members.
davewho1 likes this.

Last edited by Dean; Sep 11th, 19 at 4:15 PM.
post #54 of 91 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 4:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Pretty much Off topic here but as Paul Harvey said here's THE REST OF THE STORY

The concept of the regional forum that Al started was totally misunderstood and it became not only a division of members here but they felt that we needed there own separate forums so we wound up with a bunch of stuff that was duplicated in the wrong place.

I hated to see this forum start to be divided by separate groups and hated having topics posted in the wrong forum.

I felt that it was the beginning of an us against them sorta thing and I said lets keep the topics in their proper forums.

The regional thing was to be a place to get together and discuss meetings ETC, not a place to discuss topics that already had forums for.

Naturally, when a topic thread was started about something such as restoration, engine, body shop, electrical or whatever, other members not in that region would reply in the thread, so it became NOT a regional form.

Someone resented my suggestion to keep topics in our regular forums and got angry.

That's all.
That's not entirely accurate, but its not as important now I suppose. The point is, having a regional forum promotes overall site activity and helping people local to each other connect. NW was shut down after Al sold, he was very much in favor of it. If the OP is looking for alternative ways to keep like minded Chevelle enthusiasts involved, having a reginal forums works, weather some here understand that or not. If this site wishes to grow, perhaps the OP could start something new and have a link from here. More people will find their way to this site through searching and find their way to local clubs and get togethers. It's difficult for some to promote what works in a positive manner even if they don't understand why or "get it" and instead put their efforts into ending a good thing because that's what makes sense to them. It worked for hundreds then and now.

Mike
1966 SS Chevelle LQ4-4L80E
1965 SS Malibu Pro-street 489-glide (Best 10.49 @ 130)
post #55 of 91 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 5:19 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
That's not entirely accurate, but its not as important now I suppose. The point is, having a regional forum promotes overall site activity and helping people local to each other connect. NW was shut down after Al sold, he was very much in favor of it. If the OP is looking for alternative ways to keep like minded Chevelle enthusiasts involved, having a reginal forums works, weather some here understand that or not. If this site wishes to grow, perhaps the OP could start something new and have a link from here. More people will find their way to this site through searching and find their way to local clubs and get togethers. It's difficult for some to promote what works in a positive manner even if they don't understand why or "get it" and instead put their efforts into ending a good thing because that's what makes sense to them. It worked for hundreds then and now.
Right, its not important now BUT is is accurate.

BTW I had nothing to do with removing it, (I didn't even realize it's gone) all I did was told them we didn't need duplicate forum topics and they got mad.

post #56 of 91 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 6:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Ownership:

Al = love of chevelles and of the hobby.

New owners = love of money , no care about the hobby.

What would happen to the site if we start boycotting the advertisers here? I bet the sites would get sold off quick as the owners would have no way to cover costs.
71350SS, BB68, 66SSFan and 1 others like this.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #57 of 91 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 7:11 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
Ownership:

Al = love of chevelles and of the hobby.

New owners = love of money , no care about the hobby.

What would happen to the site if we start boycotting the advertisers here
? I bet the sites would get sold off quick as the owners would have no way to cover costs.
I already do that.
Pete 67, 71350SS, fishhead and 1 others like this.

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

post #58 of 91 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 8:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

Hereís what I see as the trend...

Many of you show interest in this, but how far does the interest really go? How many of you , and be honest here, are willing to step up to the plate and go through the measures to make a national club successful? Iím willing to bet itís no one. Everyone wants to be part of something, but no one wants to do the work required to make it a success. You will have to take charge and surround yourself with a group of like minded people that are willing to take on the same tasks and do them in their spare time for free. You will have to be a manager, a leader, and be able to corral people when the attention span dwindles or they become tired of doing the things required to run a national type club.

If you want to run a national show, thatís a whole other animal on to itís own. As someone that organizes a regional Chevelle Show, it is getting much more difficult each year to gain sponsors, deal with venues, and get a team together to actually show up and do the things they promised. More often than not, the same tasks end up falling on the same people for years on end to which they get tired of doing then slowly drop out leaving you scrambling to find replacements.

I am finding myself in the position where I may have to take over our Chevelle club to keep it going as the current president is stepping down and no one has volunteered to take the spot. Itís only going to get more difficult with everyone aging. So really sit and think about the reality of this. I don see it happening because I just donít see anyone thatís willing to put the time in to make a national club work.

Chuck approached me in 2011 about taking over ACES. At the time, I was not in a position to be able to do it for personal reasons. Iím still not in a position to do it due to the time that needs to be invested because i am now self employed in addition to having a 7-330 job.
Dean, von, ACES1 and 5 others like this.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

Best ET: [email protected] MPH

post #59 of 91 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 9:08 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

As a number have already mentioned, the issue lies not with the number of people who want to show up to a meeting or event and eat the cookies, but with the people who have to make the cookies. It gets old pretty fast when you have to organize many things with very little help and the same people are called on again and again to pitch in. It is a lot of WORK and TIME. Kind of like having a 2nd job but not getting paid for it.

I was one of the founders and president for the first five years for our local club. I organized the meetings, ran the meetings, published the newsletter and managed the website entirely on my own. I only lasted two more years as a member after that because I was just burned out on the whole process. The club has done well after I left so good for them.
Dean and ACES1 like this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #60 of 91 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 9:56 AM
Team Member
Bill

I do not feel a new club is warranted and haven't been a member long enough to see a decline. I do see too many posts not related to Chevelles which often bumps new posts off the first or active screens before they can be answered. I do find this site way to restrictive for a post that is created by the user. For example why the time limit for an edit? Why can't the creator delete his post if wanted? Limited search timing such as too often and last I find the uploading pics extremely cumbersome with pictures not oriented correctly after upload. With all that said I do enjoy this club nor do I have any inclination to move on. I do like the hotline idea to be added and I would be happy to volunteer supporting that feature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in