Used pickup prices - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 19, 2:08 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Jerry

Used pickup prices

What are prices like in the USA on used pickups? Here in Alberta they are nuts, if you can even find a decent one. Just about all the good used pickups are being bought up and shipped down south to you fellas. I wish our dang dollar would get closer to par with your buck.

Jerry
65 Beaumont
L96 6 Liter
Straub hyd. roller
Tremec 5 speed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 19, 2:25 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac
Re: Used pickup prices

when we were shopping for a truck, for a truck couple years old, it made more sense to pay a few thousand more and get a brand new truck. used prices for a high mileage truck didnt make sense. jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 19, 2:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Don't know about truck prices lately, bought my 71 C30 Longhorn in 1996 and I'm still driving it. 402/700R4, Ps PB, A/C.......paid 1500.00for it back then.
71350SS and LeoP like this.

66 Malibu

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 19, 2:57 PM
Senior Tech Team

It's just as crazy here in the states. My buddy works for a dealer & has access to the dealer auctions. Every week for the past few months we've been trying to find a fair deal. Regardless of age or miles, nothing in decent shape is selling for less than 10 grand. I'm talking about 15 year trucks with 250,000 miles. If it's a diesel, add another 5 grand on to the price.

Seems like once a week he sees something we think we can get for less than $7500, & he'll send me a few pics via text. A few hours go by & ask what the truck went for. The answer is always something like $12,500. And these are auction prices. So dealers are putting these trucks on the lot for $18-$20k when they are 15 years old & have almost 300,000 miles. Nuts!
GSMCGSMC likes this.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

Last edited by Pete 67; Sep 6th, 19 at 3:20 PM.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 19, 3:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

There are decent deals out there private party. Dealers are really proud of the $h1t... Considering what the new trucks are going for makes them look like a bargain.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 19, 3:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
when we were shopping for a truck, for a truck couple years old, it made more sense to pay a few thousand more and get a brand new truck. used prices for a high mileage truck didnt make sense. jim
+1 for this.... I figured I only needed a truck for 2yrs at best, 3yrs at the most. So I looked for a lease...mind you any make, any model....OUCH....The best leases were in other states.... but in California, it was actually going to be as much if not more than just outright buying, so I bit the bullet and bought one. Its a good truck, but the AFM/DOD thing was the end of me ever buying any GM product again.
Jerry Briggs likes this.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 19, 3:44 PM
Senior Tech Team

What year truck are you looking for? Iíd come to California and shop private parties, most arenít used as work trucks and they never rust. Make a vacation out of the trip, then drive your new purchase home.

Steve R
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 19, 4:56 PM
Tech Team
Alex

My brother in law works at a used car lot that puts Chevy 2500HDs with over 200k miles for $23-24k and they sell. I have been wanting to get out of my 2005 2500 because its just too heavy to hunt out of. Took it over to them to do a possible trade and they low balled the crap out of me. Truck I have found about 4 years old run about $30k fully loaded with under 50k miles. These smaller lots want the same price for trucks with 80-100k miles on them.
Pete 67 likes this.

1969 Chevelle SS --- 468 FTI Level 4 TH400 AFR 290cc's
1997 S10 SS ---LQ9/4l65e
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 19, 5:34 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Thereís no such thing as a low mileage late model truck around here. 50,000 miles a year is normal. If you find a good truck itís expensive. But new ones are also very expensive.

Guy I work with just ordered a new diesel Denali 2500. Sticker is $75,000. His last truck is 11 years old with a paltry 350,000 miles. He wants $18,000 for it.

Mencken: ďThe whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.Ē
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 19, 6:19 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevymec View Post
My brother in law works at a used car lot that puts Chevy 2500HDs with over 200k miles for $23-24k and they sell. I have been wanting to get out of my 2005 2500 because its just too heavy to hunt out of. Took it over to them to do a possible trade and they low balled the crap out of me. Truck I have found about 4 years old run about $30k fully loaded with under 50k miles. These smaller lots want the same price for trucks with 80-100k miles on them.
This is the exact scenario I'm describing out here in the southwest. And if it's a Duramax with an Allison tranny, they want closer to $30 grand!
Chevymec likes this.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 19, 8:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
JOHN

About a year ago I bought a 97 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 truck with 60000 miles and new tires , fully loaded , one owner , extended cab for $7000 cash . This truck was serviced every 3000 miles by a mechanic friend of mine since new . It pulls a trailer with cars and trucks very well and it now has 70000 miles on it .
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 19, 9:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

We;ve bought a couple of trucks now that have been shipped down from Canada to New York. The dealers buy a one year old truck up htere, bring it here and swap the spedo over to mph nad sell it for a good price. I'm thinking that the Canadians must be able to buy them new cheaper than we can?
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 19, 10:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Y'all are about a year too late, I traded my 02 1500 HD last August and got 5K for it on trade, new truck was 28K out the door, it's all I need. 5.3 6 speed auto, 3.42 axle,2wd, SiriusXM, remote start, double cab. My trade had about 150K miles on it, I bought it new.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 19, 10:02 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete 67 View Post
This is the exact scenario I'm describing out here in the southwest. And if it's a Duramax with an Allison tranny, they want closer to $30 grand!
So you're saying I should pick up that 2004 crew cab I looked at the other day with 231k for $15000? Drive it out there and double my money.

Jeff

`You can't beat City Hall, but you can piss on the steps."
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 19, 11:09 PM
Tech Team
Richard

Garage

Interesting to read this thread as I was unaware of the high prices being asked for used pickups. Mine is a 1996 4X4 Silverado extended cab with 69K miles so I think I had better do a little more research before parting with it.
LeoP and blue_69_malibu like this.

1970 SS LS6 original drive train - one owner
Astro Blue - Ivory bench - M22 - 4:10

Last edited by KCMO454; Sep 6th, 19 at 11:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in