My conclusion - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 19, 6:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Re: My conclusion

I have the same feelings at times of the younger generations not being that interested in our cars. My hope is that, like me and I'm sure plenty others of you, that our kids or grandkids are taken out for rides in these cars by their Dad, Grandpa, Uncle, Great Uncle or any of the equivalent females in our lives that love these cars and as they get older, they start to look back at those great times and acquire the same passion, fire or whatever you wanna call it, for our cars also. My great Uncle and Aunt gave me my SS, which he drove for almost 30 years and gave me and all my cousins rides in it for many reasons, including trips to the woods to shoot his Colt .45 and other various handguns from his collection. I have many great memories in that car and I hope that the same thing will happen to many other future generations with all our cars.
HKalin, boyd66k20 and Rosinbluth like this.

Yeah, we're runnin' a little bit hot tonight,
I can barely see the road from the heat comin' off,
You know what I'm sayin',
Ahh, you reach down, put it between my legs 'n
ease the seat back,
She's runnin', I'm flyin',
Right behind in the rear view mirror now,
Got the fearin', power steerin',
Pistons poppin', ain't no stoppin' now,
PANAMA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 19, 7:57 PM
Tech Team
Chris

OP, I'm with you on that, I want to see these things drive and hear the rumble. Probably why I prefer going drag racing to car shows. I hope I've corrupted my kids enough that they'll be into cars when they can drive. My 9 year old is already asking about learning to race, probably going to get him into go-kart racing. My 4 year old always wants to ride in "daddy's blue car" when we go somewhere. If it's true that the "old guys" are the only ones interested in these cars, prices should go down as demand decreases and I'll be able to score some nice cars for my kids for a good price when the time comes. But I doubt it, haven't seen any "cheap" street rods or tri-5 Chevy's for sale. And those guys are really old!

1969 Beaumont
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1977 Bronco
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The rest are boring responsible adult vehicles not worth mentioning.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 7:18 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Life is good. Don't worry about your age. THere is always someone who will want your SS. Just don't leave it unlocked/unattended.
HKalin and davewho1 like this.

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 9:47 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dan

There is an ass for every seat...young or old.
Younger folks dont have the cash when trying to pay for a home
and start a family, pay for a DD etc.
Young folks love these cars also, but they are just out of reach for the average joe.
The cost to get into these cars for them is just to high!
And the cost to even think about restoring one is outrages these days.
However when their chance comes they will take care of these cars
just as we have.
HKalin and davewho1 like this.

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 4:46 PM
Tech Team
John

Garage

So I was going to buff a friends 68 Chrysler 300. He dropped it off, parked it on the street in front of my house. It's just an old car that sat outside for years. Red, faded and thinning paint. Even has some rust. So my twin boys, 5 years old, are outside with me. I say, jump in guys, let's move this car into the shop (I make them ride with me so I know they are not in danger of getting run over or something like that). So all 3 of us jump in the car. It's dirty, dusty, maybe little smelly, got trash on the floors, ect. They jump in, and from the curb to my shop, they just loved it. They say, wow, this is so cool, we need get one. I point to my Chevelle, project untouched for the last 5 years, I tell em someday we can ride in that. This past spring, I started working on it, first time since I brought it home when I moved into this house 5 years ago. They are in Kindergarten this year, got 3 more years at the grade school. My goal is to be able to take em to school and drop em off with it before they are out of grade school. Pretty sure it won't be next year, but hoping for the year after that, it'd be August of 2021 I think.
I have a bad habit of going too far with the build. I need to just get it together, and not get so hung up in trying to get it exactly how I want it in the end. I had a 12 bolt posi. But now I sold it cuz I thought I needed a stronger Moser housing. Had a SBC for it, but thought I needed a BBC, so all these changes just ran into more money, which is mainly why I not been working on it. But I'm focused on getting them that experience of the old cars and hot rods, so I'm pretty dedicated to getting some street time with them and the Chevelle.
I spent 18 years or so circle track racing. So I'm hoping that I can get them into old cars and hot rods, fixing them up, instead of spending all their moneys on racecars for their first 20 years of employment like I did. So they have a nice hot rod when they get older, not just a buncha old trophies and an empty bank account like I do..
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 4:59 PM
Tech Team
Phil

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKN BCK View Post
There is an ass for every seat...young or old.
Younger folks dont have the cash when trying to pay for a home
and start a family, pay for a DD etc.
Young folks love these cars also, but they are just out of reach for the average joe.
The cost to get into these cars for them is just to high!
And the cost to even think about restoring one is outrages these days.
However when their chance comes they will take care of these cars
just as we have.
Agreed. Of the car shows I have attended this year, all of the classic stuff is usually driven in by the older guys (50's thru 80's), but whenever I park my '66 I always have a ton of the younger folks literally drooling over the car, and I get many comments like "I wish I could afford". The younger generation should have higher priorities first; paying off college loans, mortgage payments, and family support. The toys come later in life.
HKalin likes this.

I've spent most of my money on women and guns.The rest I just wasted...
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 5:31 PM
Tech Team
John

Garage

When I was a kid, the Memorial weekend had a local rod run they called it...on Friday night, everyone would roll into town and stay at a motel on the south end of town. On sat morning, they would all drive to the downtown car show, hence "rod run". You'd get to hear and see em all roll by. Like a hot rod parade. We'd go watch from back of dads pickup almost every year. They still have the show, but I don't think they do the official "rod run" any more. It might even stay in the motel parking lot, I'm not sure.
HKalin likes this.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 19, 1:21 AM
Tech Team
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
The toys come later in life.
They do?
Hmm, not in my case.
Might help to explain why I've never been wealthy.
Derek69SS, HKalin and davewho1 like this.

At these gas prices I want it 100+ octane, leaded, and my windshield washed!
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 19, 8:13 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jesse

Garage
I rarely go to shows, if I do I like to go early watch them pull in then leave. Hearing them is the best part. I bought my 79 Malibu ten years ago, sure I'd much rather have a 68-69 but I can't afford a nice one. I turned 40 on the 17th and have loved old cars my whole life. So if any of you "old" guys wanna leave me your classic, I'll gladly take it!
HKalin likes this.

Jesse
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 19, 10:49 AM
Tech Team
Matt

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nazarah

Thirty seven here......so not quite in the "old guy" club yet. I've owned a ton of different toys in my past, some old some new. I always come back to the old hot rods. They are just so easy to work on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinbluth View Post
My goal is to be able to take em to school and drop em off with it before they are out of grade school.
I do this a few times a year when the weather is nice. Couldn't get the grin off of his face with a chisel on those days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard/SIA View Post
Might help to explain why I've never been wealthy.
I can relate to this!
HKalin and Rosinbluth like this.

Never stop learning!
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 19, 12:32 PM
Tech Team
John

Garage

When I was in my early 20's, I had a 68 Chevelle, then a 66, along with my 72 that I still have as a project. Sold both the nice ones to pay for circle track racing stuff, as I was making an effort to race for a career at the time. Chasing a dream you could say. After I realized I didn't have the talent, or the budget, I came back to local racing, won a title, then quit. Settled down with a family and house, and now I want the 72 on the road. I work full time during the day, 3 evenings a week as a maint. man, plus I do car detailing on weekends when there are customers. The free time, and motivation when I do have free time, is what I struggle with right now. But it'll come. Hopefully here in a few weeks I'll get focused back to it and make some progress. Here are a couple pics of the 68 and 66 I let go. 68 I bought for 3500 no motor, sold for 6500. 66 bought for 2000, sold for 4000 about a month later. Didn't touch it. But oh how I'd love to have them both back. Loved and lost..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-26 11.57.13.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	601804   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-26 11.56.37.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	601806  
HKalin likes this.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 19, 1:25 PM
Tech Team
Matt

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nazarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinbluth View Post
66 bought for 2000, sold for 4000 about a month later. Didn't touch it. But oh how I'd love to have them both back. Loved and lost..
Loved and lost perhaps, but doubling your money with 0 work is a great flip! I wouldn't regret that one for a minute.
HKalin likes this.

Never stop learning!
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 19, 1:37 PM
Tech Team
Eddie

Garage
Around here, SF Bay Area, there are plenty of youngsters with classic cars. Most don’t go to the car shows mostly cause older crowd is too judgmental, they prefer cruises and meet ups vs an all out car show. I’m 41 and I own 4 classic cars, including a 1970 Chevelle, and personally I go to very few car shows every year. I like the ones where no trailer queens are allowed.
Something about standing around and hearing everybody criticize my car doesn’t sound appealing to me, I prefer driving. Almost every weekend I will take one of my cars out for a cruise. Sometimes my family (wife and 3 little ones) comes along, sometimes they don’t. Those cruises are my therapy, time away from everything, just me and the car. I usually do about 200-300 miles on each cruise. There are also organized cruises that I attend regularly, sometimes 5-6 cars, sometimes 70-80 or more. I wrench on all of them myself, and I build them to be driven not sit on the lawn. JMO.
Rosinbluth likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in