Difference in Army Ranger and US Marine - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 19, 7:52 PM
Tech Team

Re: Difference in Army Ranger and US Marine

Rangers say "Hoo-rah"
Marines say "Ooh-rah"

'69 Butternut Yellow 396
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 19, 9:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

None taken brother, I am sure that is what my brother would have told me. I have dropped and gave 20, so thank you for conditioning my mind and my body, I request permission to recover.

On a 67 Chevelle note. I'm new here and am looking for the best place to start my build here. This one is going pro-touring style, with a touch of pro-street. Any recommendations are welcome and needed.

Bluesky
427L88 and Freddy Mercado like this.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 6:02 AM
Senior Tech Team
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
US Army Ranger Cadence - If I Die In A Drop Zone (cadence only) - YouTube[/url]
I remember singing something similar. Probably shouldn't post any that we sung on a regular basis, though. I remember one song in particular. We were in the gas chamber and they told us to pull off our masks. No problem, I'll just take a deep breath and hold it. WRONG!!! Once we all had them off, they made us sing the Marine Corps Hymm. Never seem so many guys with snot sagging down to their knees in my life!
427L88 and 1775SS like this.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 7:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenymayor View Post
I remember singing something similar. Probably shouldn't post any that we sung on a regular basis, though. I remember one song in particular. We were in the gas chamber and they told us to pull off our masks. No problem, I'll just take a deep breath and hold it. WRONG!!! Once we all had them off, they made us sing the Marine Corps Hymm. Never seem so many guys with snot sagging down to their knees in my life!
Ohhhhh, yeah! BTDT! We had to yell out Social Security number, M16 serial number, date of birth, date of enlistment, Company ID. Most guys were puking before they got far. And this was right after breakfast.....

Side note: I've got a Drill Sergeant cadence call ring on my cell phone. "Someone's callin' on your phone. Answer it NOW before they're gone".

Gets a lot of chuckles when it rings. Many people comment, "I remember THAT from back in the day!"

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 8:04 AM
Gold Member
Gene

" Hey Hey Captin' Jack, Meet me back by the railroad shack, with my knife in my hand, I'm gonna be a cuttin' man.... Hey Hey Captin' Jack....."

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 11:12 AM
Senior Tech Team
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by augy View Post
Side note: I've got a Drill Sergeant cadence call ring on my cell phone.
Our daughter is a junior in college. Her alarm clock on her phone is Reveille. Drives here room mate nuts! I think it's funny as hell. Of course her mothers ring tone on my phone is Iron Maidens The Number of the Beast.
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 2:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

This discussion has taken me to the task to study a little. It appears that the likenesses outweight the differnces in comparing the Marines to the Rangers.

Likeness

1. Both seem to have spirit de corp.
2. Both seem to very aggressive in their work.
3. Both place PT very high.
4. Both seem to see action before other units.
5. Both are first in combat.
6. Both seem to value their fellow members.
7. Both seem to deploy very fast when called upon.

Differences

1. Marines are placed in Divisions where as Rangers are in battalions.
2. Marines are consider conventional forces versus spec ops for the Rangers.
3. Marines don't receive the better equipment like the Rangers do UNLESS they are member of a Raiders and or Recon element.
4. Marines don't do Airborne and Rangers don't do Amp. landings.
5. Marines seem to place more emphasis on marksmanship where as Rangers places it on stealth.

This leads to a more in depth discussion

1. Rangers get their heritage from Point de Hoc in France, Merrill Maurders in Burma, and the LRRPS in Vietnam.....seems that the Rangers are more a recon and special mission version of a soldier.

2. Marines get their heritage in fighting very aggressively in the likes of terrorism dating back to the Briabry Pirates in the late 1700's.

3. Once you study the Marines and Rangers they are entirely different.

4. Marines and Rangers are often thrown together due to the fact of their training. Marines don't have Special Ops in their ranks so to speak, they do currently have Raiders and Special Recon elements, maybe then you can link the two together by comparing those units with each other.

For some reason Special Ops is confused with the Marines, what this leads to ask is this.

1. Why do Marines conventional forces get the dirty jobs?

It appears on the outside , that the Army does not have any aggressive units like the Marines.

If you currently look at the modern conflicts...Vietnam and up....Marines are almost always given such assignments as street fighting, house to house, and search and destroy....this is wanted to be done as soon as possible. Conventional Army units don't appear....in modern warfare...to have aggressive units for this....they tend to fight more deliberately and slower....such things as surrounding a city or town for a time period and slowly but surely squeeze the town into submission....two different tactics. I maybe off in this assessment of Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq. It appears that conventional infantry forces in the Army fight this way. It appears that Marines versus 1st Calvary, 1st Infantry, 3rd Infantry, 4th Infantry or 25th Infantry would be better comparison.

Even light infantry units cant be really compared to Marines. 10th mountain, 101 Airborne, 82 Airborne, don't use tanks or mechanized infantry...so you cant compare there.

SO.....with all this being said......I stand more confused than I was before... LOL

THANKS to all who served in the Army or Marines....I have great respect for the both of you!

Just for the record, I was turned down by the Marines twice as a candidate for OCS. One at age 24 and another at age 38. I was turned down by the Army for OCS at age 38 as well. However, the Navy was very receptive to me at 38, but Im not a ship liking person....so I stayed a civilian.

Please correct me here where Im wrong as well
427L88, Sleeper '69, OO52 and 1 others like this.

67 chevelle malibu / SS/ custom

Currently undergoing a metal work to remove all rust, if I ever get there.

Cant decide on prostreet or cruiser with a 4 speed.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 11:48 AM
Gold Member
Gene

As I said, Army Ranger is more like Marine Force Recon training, both are considered "special operations" these days, Regular Army and Marines are not.

Aaron, I too turned down "squidly" duty. It wasnt the boats that did it, it was sitting in the back of a supersonic bird taking pictures. Yeech.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 1:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage

I think your assessment is pretty good Aaron. As a dirt Sailor (Navy Seabees) I served and/or trained with the Marines for a number of years.
As a conventional force, the Marines are known for quick deployment. They have RoRo ships deployed around the world at strategic points which can arrive in just a few days to unload enough material and equipment to support a landing force for thirty days.
While the politicians are still debating, the Marines are already on the ground.
427L88, buenymayor and 1775SS like this.

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 7:02 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
However, the Navy was very receptive to me at 38, but Im not a ship liking person....so I stayed a civilian.

Please correct me here where Im wrong as well
What Marine Corp were you trying to join? They are part of the Dept of Navy for a reason: they are on ships.

68 SS396
Team Chevelle Gold #14
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 8:57 PM
Team Member
Dave

The Marines have done so much with so little for so long, they feel like they can do everything with nothing forever!

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 19, 8:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OO52 View Post
I think your assessment is pretty good Aaron. As a dirt Sailor (Navy Seabees) I served and/or trained with the Marines for a number of years.
As a conventional force, the Marines are known for quick deployment. They have RoRo ships deployed around the world at strategic points which can arrive in just a few days to unload enough material and equipment to support a landing force for thirty days.
While the politicians are still debating, the Marines are already on the ground.
Thanks Ed. I tried to do a good fair assessment. Oh ok, yeah the Seabees...that's a cool outfit...tried to get my brother in law to enlist with them. Do Seabees see any boat duty?

post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 19, 8:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene McGill View Post
What Marine Corp were you trying to join? They are part of the Dept of Navy for a reason: they are on ships.
Gene, I was at the time looking at the Security Forces. Don't remember the exact name, but they provide security for embassies and consulates and things like that.

post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 19, 8:39 PM
Gold Member
Freddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Dan

I have heard that before. I do understand that the Marines are the police force for the Navy.
The Marines are the Men's department of the Navy!!! LOL...

The Marines do have a "Special Ops" community, they are called Marine Raiders.

Freddy
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 19, 8:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy Mercado View Post
The Marines are the Men's department of the Navy!!! LOL...

The Marines do have a "Special Ops" community, they are called Marine Raiders.
Right Freddy. This is something I have learned.
Freddy Mercado likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in