It's An Epidemic - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
It's An Epidemic

Distracted drivers. Drivers on their phone. There is probably not a licensed driver in this country that hasn't heard the warnings. Everywhere I look people have their phone in their hand while driving.
Recently I was sent on a company business road trip with a coworker. This coworker is mid to late 20s. Our destination was a 6 hour drive. I drove on the way there and my coworker was on his phone the entire time. On the way back my coworker drove and he was on his phone the entire time. Six hours of interstate driving and he was on his phone 95% of the time. This person is addicted to their phone and so are many, many others.
I believe it is time to apply pressure to law makers to mandate cell phones be inoperable when it is determined that they are in motion above the speed that a human can walk which is basically six mph.
Before anyone starts whining, yes this means all cell phones which includes passenger phones also. Doesn't matter if you are in a car, bus, train, airplane, or a horse and buggy. It is the price that must be paid. To my knowledge nobody has ever died from not being able To call or text their brother to ask if he is still going to the game on Friday. As far as emergencies the 911 function would still work.
How would you feel if a distracted driver killed or injured one of your loved ones? They all think they can drive and text or drive and surf their phone. Guess what. You can't do it safely. Accidents are happening almost constantly due to distracted drivers. Only way is to take the opportunity away.
Rant over for now.
Clint44, von, 77 cruiser and 16 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 12:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Re: It's An Epidemic

Got my vote! I do rely on my phone while driving but only check my alerts when at a stop sign or just pull over. Also, since I can't stop you from using your device while driving, I keep a much greater distance between you and I if I can possibly do so. I also tend to glance at everyone around me to check if they are driving or entertaining themselves and position myself accordingly. Yeah, I'm in favor of taking your privilege away while driving because we constantly hear of fatal accidents caused by just that. Recently there was a motorcyclist stopped behind a guy at a stop light....the lady behind him just plowed into him at full speed, killing the guy. Ruined more than 2 lives because of a phone call.
Saltherring likes this.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 12:52 PM
Tech Team

Garage

Just about every time I pass an oncoming local fuzz, i see his eyes looking down right to the laptop mounted in his car. Since it is safe for the fuzz because they obviously have extensive training on how not to be distracted when using their laptops, perhaps this same training needs to be part of the drivers education syllabus for new drivers.
davewho1 and boyd66k20 like this.

'69 Malibu
post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 1:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

It's all over even if you go past a bus stop the majority of the people standing there are on there phones. Just think when there were telephone booths around today there would be a line a mile long of people waiting to use it. That's progress.
fr8dog, davewho1 and slowmo55ss like this.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 1:46 PM
Tech Team
Rame

Garage

Back in my day, which wasn't that long ago to be honest, we didn't have cellphones (they were too expensive at the time) we did have beepers though. But I lost 2 of my friends in their teens because they got distracted while changing a CD, also an older guy in the neighborhood who I really didn't know died in a car accident because he was reading a news paper, and I'm just pulling that off the top of my head but I don't think getting rid of the phones will solve the problem, If anything we should make cars harder to drive , I got to drive a model T once and I couldn't even take the time to think about farting much less checking my phone. I do see where you are going with this, but I don't think the problem is with the phones but it's with people, cause even if you take away their phones they would probably read a book or make pancakes (yes that happened, I read the police report).
64elkynss, davewho1 and slowmo55ss like this.

post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 1:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Distracted drivers. Drivers on their phone. There is probably not a licensed driver in this country that hasn't heard the warnings. Everywhere I look people have their phone in their hand while driving.
Recently I was sent on a company business road trip with a coworker. This coworker is mid to late 20s. Our destination was a 6 hour drive. I drove on the way there and my coworker was on his phone the entire time. On the way back my coworker drove and he was on his phone the entire time. Six hours of interstate driving and he was on his phone 95% of the time. This person is addicted to their phone and so are many, many others.
I believe it is time to apply pressure to law makers to mandate cell phones be inoperable when it is determined that they are in motion above the speed that a human can walk which is basically six mph.
Before anyone starts whining, yes this means all cell phones which includes passenger phones also. Doesn't matter if you are in a car, bus, train, airplane, or a horse and buggy. It is the price that must be paid. To my knowledge nobody has ever died from not being able To call or text their brother to ask if he is still going to the game on Friday. As far as emergencies the 911 function would still work.
How would you feel if a distracted driver killed or injured one of your loved ones? They all think they can drive and text or drive and surf their phone. Guess what. You can't do it safely. Accidents are happening almost constantly due to distracted drivers. Only way is to take the opportunity away.
Rant over for now.
The scariest part of all........law makers!
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 2:47 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Six hours of interstate driving and he was on his phone 95% of the time..

I would have told him to put the phone away or stop and let me out.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 2:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bart

Garage

Agree 100 percent, its much worse than
drunk driving, just the sheer # of people on them at all times.
427L88 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69SS Daytona yellow
L35, M-20, 3.73

"AC's 2 by 75...... you roll'em down & drive

"Time treats everybody like a fool"
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 2:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Garage

In Illinois there is no cel phone use while driving unless with a hands free device.

Quote of the day.
'The difference between trash pick up and a yard sale is the distance the stuff sits from the curb".
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 3:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bart

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968 View Post
In Illinois there is no cel phone use while driving unless with a hands free device.
When I'm not out of town, I drive downtown to Chicago quite often. The law stops no one, every other car someone is on there phone.
We need them disabled when moving in vehicles.
The world will not end if you cant use your phone while your driving.

69SS Daytona yellow
L35, M-20, 3.73

"AC's 2 by 75...... you roll'em down & drive

"Time treats everybody like a fool"
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 3:32 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

I am 100% fine with integrated hands free setups in cars now. Including the reading out of txt messages and replying via voice. If the phone is moving, the screen should be disabled. The driver should have to have it connected to an approved integrated system to use while in a car. But I can't think of an acceptable way for passengers/kids in the back seat, whatever be allowed to use their devices.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 3:36 PM
Senior Tech Team

Its a sickness for sure.Grown damn men yakking on the phone like a 13 year old teenage girl.Makes me sick to my stomach to watch it.

George

8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85

Last edited by Dean; Aug 18th, 19 at 7:00 PM.
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 3:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Quote:
This isnt much better when your mind is somewhere else while driving. It is still a distraction
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 3:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

What in the world is so important that you cant put the damn phone down? You arent missing a thing!. This chit drives me nuts seeing everyone with their hand out following a phone.
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 3:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1
Thumbs down Re: It's An Epidemic

Quote:
Same out here - but every day when I'm out and about I see MULTIPLE idiots using their phones.

Obviously laws don't mean a damn thing to these people.
64elkynss and Clint44 like this.

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in