War on Generation X??? - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

84Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Unread Aug 14th, 19, 9:35 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

War on Generation X???

Got a few things to say about the way society has become. We all know that the Baby Boomers are a large area of the population. 1946 to 1964. This generation shaped the job market and the economic market during their years in service to the work force. However, since they have been retiring over the past 5 to 7 years, things are changing. What is being lost in the shuffle is their children. Im one of them. Im a Generation Xer born in 1974. Im not hear to gripe or moan, its just the way things have happened. I noticed that the "rules of the game" began to change as the baby boomers retired. Of course here we are in mid life, having to make amends to that. Having to relearn systems, relearn the way things work, relearn the economy, relearn how to get a job, relearn how to hang onto a job....just a lot of different things. Drastic changes made during this change over. What Im seeing is that the Generation Xers - 1965 to 1979 are being left over and stepped over by the Xennials and Millennials for a variety of reasons. Seems to me that Generation X got left out in the cycle and are paying for it.

Anyone in there 50's and or 40's experience some of this? Curious.

67 chevelle malibu / SS/ custom

Currently undergoing a metal work to remove all rust, if I ever get there.

Cant decide on prostreet or cruiser with a 4 speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Unread Aug 14th, 19, 9:59 PM

Yes and no. It’s their upbringing / parents / social media so you can’t judge all. Some react because they don’t know how to, some need to hit rock bottom, some just get it, some don’t get it, a lot are late bloomers. I have quite a few young guys employed, I’m 53 and around a lot of guys every day and I see a wide age spread in the trades. Draw upon what your elders taught you and use that to teach or preach to them and hope it spreads like wildfire. They’ll come around sooner or later, some maybe never but let’s hope so.
LeoP likes this.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Unread Aug 14th, 19, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: War on Generation X???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ss4spd View Post
Yes and no. Itís their upbringing / parents / social media so you canít judge all. Some react because they donít know how to, some need to hit rock bottom, some just get it, some donít get it, a lot are late bloomers. I have quite a few young guys employed, Iím 53 and around a lot of guys every day and I see a wide age spread in the trades. Draw upon what your elders taught you and use that to teach or preach to them and hope it spreads like wildfire. Theyíll come around sooner or later, some maybe never but letís hope so.
I know where your coming from, but I think you missed my point. My point is the Generation X is being screwed over today by employers and the society we live in....they are getting things shoved in there face....everything today is NEW....no more hanging onto the past.....and etc.

See my point?

Screwing the Generation Xers to go younger instead of honoring commitment for Generation X for playing by the rules.

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Unread Aug 14th, 19, 10:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Americans are being screwed over at every level so it isn't personal.
Aaron, 71350SS and Saltherring like this.

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.315 60'
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Unread Aug 14th, 19, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokerboats View Post
Americans are being screwed over at every level so it isn't personal.
Dan , you are so right on with that!

We allow so many foreign people into this country to got to school, be tax free, to get profit....makes me sick!!!
Saltherring likes this.

post #6 of 65 (permalink) Unread Aug 14th, 19, 10:33 PM
Gold Member
Gene

It's not a generation thing, it's an age thing. I was looking for a job when I was 49, and it was a lot harder than when I was in my 30's, and I'm a baby boomer. I also in the job sector already when computers came along and changed everything. I learned what I needed to stay productive. Probably 90 percent of my current job is using skills I've learned since I was 40. I still can't type, though...

68 SS396
Team Chevelle Gold #14
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Unread Aug 14th, 19, 10:59 PM
Senior Tech Team

The changes you are describing started happening well before the baby boomers started retiring. This started at least 20 years ago and is accelerating. Most people werenít paying attention until it started to effect them. At the beginning it was industry by industry, now itís nearly everywhere. The ďblameĒ falls on everyone, itís not the ďsystemĒ out to get anyone, itís changing times, largely based on advances in technology.

Steve R
blm, novadude, boyd66k20 and 2 others like this.
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Unread Aug 14th, 19, 11:13 PM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

I went through a bunch of changes in my jobs over the years. New bosses, computers, electronics in everything. I was fortunate that I worked for only 5 companies over 40 years starting when I was 17. One of the companies for 8 years and then 24 years over two separate tours. I had on the job training that kept me current and probably also made me more proficient with computers outside of work.
Iím 62 and retired 5 years ago only because the new business owner was a complete prick. (I lasted two months with him) Otherwise I guess I would still be working.
Now I spend my time trying to figure out how to put Canbus controlled engines into analog cars, so still,learning.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Unread Aug 15th, 19, 12:18 AM
Tech Team

Garage

No war from where I sit.

'69 Malibu
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Unread Aug 15th, 19, 12:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene McGill View Post
It's not a generation thing, it's an age thing. I was looking for a job when I was 49, and it was a lot harder than when I was in my 30's, and I'm a baby boomer. I also in the job sector already when computers came along and changed everything. I learned what I needed to stay productive. Probably 90 percent of my current job is using skills I've learned since I was 40. I still can't type, though...
Don't worry, typewriters are extinct.
Not2Fast likes this.

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.315 60'
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Unread Aug 15th, 19, 12:54 AM
Senior Tech Team

Go to YouTube and watch a video by CPG Grey titled Humans Need Not Apply.

Steve R
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Unread Aug 15th, 19, 6:59 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Aaron, to tag on to some of the comments, its common "ageism" combined with rapid technology advances which have accelerated in the past decade.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Unread Aug 15th, 19, 7:48 AM
Tech Team
Rick

Every working man, woman and child growing up needs to realize that all of us will have to reinvent ourselves at least once as we go through adulthood.

There is no allegiance to any generation anymore for paying your dues and sticking with a profession you know. Things happen and technology changes too quickly to do it like the 1950s to the year to 2000.

Learning is constant from now on. Stay sharp folks and hold on tightly. The ride may be a little bumpy.

Sorry for being preachy here . . .

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Steve R likes this.

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Unread Aug 15th, 19, 8:15 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Letís be honest. There are some trades that work the same way they did 20 plus years ago but for the most part are not open to or sustainable paths for people who expect to grow in their careers. For the rest of us, technology is making everyone obsolete. The younger generation got a head start adapting to technological changes where us older folks expected the rate of change to be much slower than it is. Compound the change in technology with increases in bureaucracy and extremely rapid changes in social mores. If you arenít willing to be highly adaptive and proactive in your personal and career choices you will be left behind.
Steve R, 427L88, bikeron and 2 others like this.

People donít like to have to think in high resolution. Jordan Peterson. Thatís why we are forced in to so many binary choices.
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Unread Aug 15th, 19, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
Let’s be honest. There are some trades that work the same way they did 20 plus years ago but for the most part are not open to or sustainable paths for people who expect to grow in their careers. For the rest of us, technology is making everyone obsolete. The younger generation got a head start adapting to technological changes where us older folks expected the rate of change to be much slower than it is. Compound the change in technology with increases in bureaucracy and extremely rapid changes in social mores. If you aren’t willing to be highly adaptive and proactive in your personal and career choices you will be left behind.
Well said..
427L88 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in