New breed of truck drivers...... - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

Garage
New breed of truck drivers......

Ones that cant legally drive stick. Yes, now a days you can actually get a CDL and not be allowed to drive stick. If you take your test in an Automatic, you will not be able to drive stick. Mind you, we are not buying any more trucks with a manual trans, but we still have some left in our fleet.

I am sort of amazed at how many young adults 25-ish that cant drive stick. We actually had a kid work here once that rode a motorcycle, but couldnt drive stick. Doesnt that transfer over? it did for me.
71350SS likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 12:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Re: New breed of truck drivers......

Can't or won't? I remember when we were shamed for ever saying you can't do something. We never said won't. Too much coddling, not enough foot in the a$$.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 12:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

I think around here they give CDL's out in cracker jack boxes. The people driving them around here kill someone weekly on the interstate, and a lot of them drive like maniacs on the local roads. You don't want to be near them.
BossHogg69 likes this.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 1:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
Can't or won't? I remember when we were shamed for ever saying you can't do something. We never said won't. Too much coddling, not enough foot in the a$$.
Cant. Puts an "E" restriction on your license that means you cant drive a stick. Personally i would feel a little less manly if i couldnt drive stick. Should make these guys keep their license in a pretty pink purse.....lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ69chevelle View Post
I think around here they give CDL's out in cracker jack boxes. The people driving them around here kill someone weekly on the interstate, and a lot of them drive like maniacs on the local roads. You don't want to be near them.
You would think that, the way some of these guys drive, but i can tell you from taking people to their test, its about a 3 hr ordeal for the pretrip and skills test.
We hired a guy that used to be a CDL instructor. He is absolutely positively the worst driver we have. He can tear up a clutch faster than a hooker in sketchers. He feels the other 12 tri axle drivers we have dont know how to drive. Every truck we put him in doesnt have enough power, has the wrong transmission in it, etc, etc. It pains me, but im going to have to put him in an automatic, so he quits tearing up the manuals. we have one sitting on the floor he did his latest number on.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 1:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

The new breed of Class 1 truck drivers in Canada is frightening. Many are "new Canadians" who literally buy their license and training from crooked driving schools run by other "new Canadians". No idea what they are doing, fudging logbook hours, 3 in the cab taking turns driving with only one of them having a license, the list goes on. This all came to a head 2 years ago when a truck driver with a couple weeks experience working for a trucking business owned by a new Canadian drove through a very well marked highway intersection stop sign, with advance signs and flashing lights, at highway speed and plowed into a hockey team bus killing 16 people and severely injuring many more. Not a day goes by without some incident involving these people. A week after the government shut down the trucking company involved for flagrant safety violations, the owner was trying to start it back up under another name. The actual truck driver involved got 8 years for killing 16 people. He will be out in a few years and hopefully deported back to India. Likely come back under another name. It is truly frightening.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 2:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

They say stick shift is a theft deterent these days. My Chevelle is stick, my son-in-law's Camaro is stick, my wife can drive them, my daughter can drive them, and my Grandson can't wait! He'll be 12 in November...........
Steve R, 71350SS, LeoP and 1 others like this.

66 Malibu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 2:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

In my 30 some years of driving BIG trucks, With 10 speeds--13s--18s--22s. A real truck driver ONLY uses the clutch for low & reverse only. Ask a new breed if he has a " Release Bolt " in his truck, And or " How do you adjust brakes on a tractor & Tlr.?"
Well some of the " New Breed " drivers. ?? I may have more miles going in reverse than some new guys have going forward.
On the back of a big truck I saw a bumper sticker. " Hang Up " or smile as you go under !---- or---- If you want to meet Jesus, Keep TEXTING!
Bob
427L88, LeoP, SS427Rick and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 2:53 PM
Gold Member

If I were emperor, I would make sure that the driving tests were done in a vehicle with a full non-synchro gearbox. If you cannot double clutch properly you get no license. That includes both upshifting and downshifting.
427L88, LeoP, busterwivell and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 3:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Biggest I ever drove was a 19,200# Gross GMC 6500 box truck. 5 speed with 2 speed rear, no synchos in 1st. I was working delivering auto parts from warehouse to stores. 3rd day on the job we had a big load, and needed that truck, nobody could drive it, I volunteered. No biggie, even on Pittsburgh hills. And I always have shifted with no clutch when appropriate, I taught myself after reading the VW owners manual that actually taught you have to drive WHEN your clutch cable breaks. It came in handy when I injured my left ankle and had to drive my 5sp Jeep to the emergency room without using the clutch at all. If you work on them, learn how they are put together, you can drive them better. You know what is happening, not magic voodoo connecting the pedal to the transmission.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 7:13 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
If I were emperor, I would make sure that the driving tests were done in a vehicle with a full non-synchro gearbox. If you cannot double clutch properly you get no license. That includes both upshifting and downshifting.
...with an auxiliary Brownie transmission on a long grade. The old-time truckers would have one arm down through the steering wheel so they could shift the Brownie with the left hand while shifting the main one with the right. Miss a shift and it would be easier to roll to a stop & start again from a stop.
DUKE 69 and LeoP like this.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 7:14 PM
Tech Team

I get the nostalgia from driving with a clutch (and I grew up doing so, and my wife and two kids can drive a stick) but not everyone needs to know how anymore. I built an old radio when I was a kid, but you don't need to know how to assemble a kit from Heath to listen to music. You don't need to know how to butcher a pig and cure it to eat bacon. I would rather see someone learn to drive well in an automatic than have someone spend time instead learning a skill that will never be used. For a professional trucker that might be different, but only if they need to move between rigs where some have a clutch.

'69 Butternut Yellow 396
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 7:28 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Itís been a long, long time since I was last behind the wheel of a big rig. How does the automatic performance compare to the manual? Fuel ⛽️ economy? Pulling power? Acceleration? Finding the right gear? Hopefully theyíre better than those old Allisons in the busses 🚌 Iíve ridden in.
busterwivell likes this.

People donít like to have to think in high resolution. Jordan Peterson. Thatís why we are forced in to so many binary choices.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 8:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Hey Cam:
You may be speaking of a Mack Thermodyne. Its a five speed with a three or a four way brownie. Start in first in the Aux. Up,Shift five times with the main box., Using two sticks get the Aux in 2nd and the main box back to first, Repete this 4 times and you have a " 20 " speed gearbox.
Bob
Cam and LeoP like this.

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 8:10 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
Itís been a long, long time since I was last behind the wheel of a big rig. How does the automatic performance compare to the manual? Fuel ⛽️ economy? Pulling power? Acceleration? Finding the right gear? Hopefully theyíre better than those old Allisons in the busses 🚌 Iíve ridden in.
I learned to drive big trucks with stick shifts but the truck I am driving now is a Volvo tri-axle with their automatic transmission. I like it. It is actually a 12 speed manual box that uses servos to do the shifting, there is also a clutch, but no clutch pedal, the whole system is controlled by a computer.
There are three modes of operation, economy, power and manual. Economy maximizes fuel mileage by keeping RPMs low. Power mode is good for climbing hills because it keeps the RPMs a little higher in each gear. Manual mode is good for off road driving and for climbing really steep hills.
I think acceleration might be a little better with the automatic because it shifts really fast ( it uses the Jake while upshifting)
Alan F and 71350SS like this.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 8:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
It’s been a long, long time since I was last behind the wheel of a big rig. How does the automatic performance compare to the manual? Fuel ⛽️ economy? Pulling power? Acceleration? Finding the right gear? Hopefully they’re better than those old Allisons in the busses 🚌 I’ve ridden in.
The autos wont get quite the fuel mileage that the manuals do. They do have some decent power, but the autos tend to have more motor than the manuals. I had to drive one about 2 weeks ago fully loaded (70,000 lbs or so) and was pretty impressed. Step on the gas, hold it to the floor until you get there pretty much. I would say at this point the autos are favored by the drivers. I think 7 of the tri axles are autos, 6 manuals. We have had zero issues with the autos, but have a 10 speed out sitting on the ground, basically because the driver insists the proper way to shift is with the clutch for every gear. This is trans #2 he has messed up. The first one he did in so bad it couldnt be rebuilt. He also one time drove like 60 miles with the pto engaged. Guys said when he got to the shop, the pto was smoking. We have some stakebodies we have hung into way longer than we should have, rebuilt engines, but havent touch the trans. Its my experience that allison builds a better trans than international builds engines.

Fun story - i went skiing with some friends. Me, 15, them 16 and 17. 5 of us all together in a mini blazer, manual trans. For whatever reason, the driver decided to jump off a lift, just because between towers it dipped and got about 10’ off the ground. He got a ride in a sled after that. Guess who drove the 80 mile trip home? Yup, the guy with no license. Dont need to know how to drive stick? Ehh, maybe. I still bust the other 3 guys balls to this day over that.
Alan F, 427L88, LeoP and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in