New breed of truck drivers...... - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 4:16 PM
Tech Team
Ross

Re: New breed of truck drivers......

Im going to CDL school in two weeks. Its a two month course.
I drove trucks back in New Zealand for 15 years. The last 10 I was driving 450 miles 5 nights a week. Gross weight was 95000 pounds.
Its way different over there. Here you get on the interstate, get to top gear and drive for hours. In NZ you are lucky to stay in high gear for longer than 15 minutes before hitting a steep hill or a tight corner.
Everything I drove was a stick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 5:22 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinls5 View Post
On the back of a big truck I saw a bumper sticker. " Hang Up " or smile as you go under !---- or---- If you want to meet Jesus, Keep TEXTING!
Bob
Brought to you by the industry that romanticized driving with one hand on the wheel, and the other keying a mic, with "your ears on".

68 SS396
Team Chevelle Gold #14
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 5:53 PM
Tech Team
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene McGill View Post
Brought to you by the industry that romanticized driving with one hand on the wheel, and the other keying a mic, with "your ears on".
But ya can't text on a CB radio,

Sometimes a man's got to do what a woman would never consider.
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 7:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Redneck View Post
But ya can't text on a CB radio,
And you don't have to look at it while you are to type and to read what they are saying.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 7:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

I drove my first automatic-transmission truck just a few weeks ago. I must say that it was very pleasant. Iíve had days where my right shoulder was just aching from rowing gears all day. Personally, Iím looking forward to getting into an A/T truck full-time in the near future. Yeah; all the cool kids and manly men row gears, but Iím almost 60 and was done long ago trying to impress anyone.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 9:01 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by any4xx View Post
I drove my first automatic-transmission truck just a few weeks ago. I must say that it was very pleasant. Iíve had days where my right shoulder was just aching from rowing gears all day. Personally, Iím looking forward to getting into an A/T truck full-time in the near future. Yeah; all the cool kids and manly men row gears, but Iím almost 60 and was done long ago trying to impress anyone.
Knowing how to drive stick is good enough for me at this point. If i had to drive full time, i would want an automatic as well.
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 9:30 AM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

I'm less concerned about their ability to drive a stick, and more concerned about their ability to back into a dock.

Some of these guys have absolutely no clue how to back up a trailer.

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 1:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70montee View Post
Knowing how to drive stick is good enough for me at this point. If i had to drive full time, i would want an automatic as well.
I kinda agree. That's why my Chevelle is a factory 4 speed, and my 56 210 has a 700R4. Depends where I'm going and how I feel which one I drive.

66 Malibu

post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 6:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Some automatic class 8-9 trivia. We left Daytona, Fla. heading for Sanoma, Calif. for the next race. We are getting fuel in middle of No/Where Texas. ( believe me ,,Just miles & miles of Texas)).
The tractor was a Freightshaker. I start the truck and wow it will not go into gear. ( computer automatic), So, We call the " Hot Line "........... It wound up , I believe we had to unhook the batts. and leave it set for a few mins. This truck also had the side Radar.
The truck I had you could not skip gears at any time. At times it is nice to skip gears when empty or in traffic or leaving a red light going down a hill.
But going to the Vegas track,,,,, The big long hill from Henderson NV to town. Kicked it out of gear and the G.P.S. said I got up to 102-104 MPH.
That was the fastest I have ever been in a Conventional Petercar with a 53 Ft. Tlr.
full of T.V. stuff. I am done, I still like an 18 or a 22.
P.S..........................
In Texas on a cool night on 10. When you are running 75-80 MPH. You and your truck are a giant traveling " Road Block ", Fact not Fiction.
Bob

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in