New breed of truck drivers...... - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

42Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Unread Aug 13th, 19, 8:56 PM
Team Member

Re: New breed of truck drivers......

Not to change subject but is at least related. Also seems like a lot of drivers had trouble with the backing up part of the exam. Was funny at work seeing a veteran driver back up to our work dock, one shot and square within an inch or two. We didnt even need to use a dock plate half the time. The next guy probably fresh out of driving school would take 4, 6, 8 attempts and even then couldnt square it up. Seen our stairs and railing wiped out a couple of times and they were 8 feet away from the dock. Sorry to derail, but was a pet peeve of mine.

Dunc

'Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you' - unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Unread Aug 13th, 19, 9:35 PM
Tech Team

At least they’re working. Blows my mind how many people would rather sit on their arse. It’s gotten really bad the past 3-4 years. Our school system is 35 bus drivers short. Nobody wants to work.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 12:12 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

The easy way that may help when backing a trailer. With the trailer directly behind you................ Put you hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. The very bottom. Whatever direction you want the trailer to go, Turn you hand in that direction. You want the Tlr. to go left? With your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel,,, Push the steering wheel to the left, and the trailer goes left!
It all works the same for the right side.
Bob
busterwivell likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 12:43 AM
Team Member
Tom

Don't complain about guys that can't drive a vehicle with a stick.
I cannot drive a car with an auto tranny. Never learned. I just CANNOT get the coordination figured out!
427L88 and busterwivell like this.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 7:36 AM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

When I worked at the movers as a summer job around the turn of the 80's all their tractors had manual steering, 5-speeds with 2-speed axles. Mostly made up of early 70's Louisville 900 with Super Duty 477 gas V8, early 70's International Fleetstar with both ancient RD450 straight six gas (better engine) or 470-something V8. I drove a Louisville that they converted to a Detroit Diesel with a class G-M (not A) license when the driver had only slept 2 hours all weekend on a run to Montreal (shhh...). Then they started buying International S2500 & Louisville L9000 with Cat 3406 turbodiesel power (pulled like locomotives).

It seems to me there is a disconnect from reality when every little thing is automated. One can become so insulated from what is happening that it is like a video game; lulled & desensitized to the mass & kinetic energy of a drive-by-wire 40,000 pound rig. Then again, the old rigs left your ears ringing after a drive.

I find the majority of professional truckers are much better drivers than the majority of car drivers. I have however seen some pretty sloppy truck driving lately on the 12-lane 401 through Toronto. There are lots of Truck Driving Schools operated by Indians around Toronto FWIW.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC Gold #120

post #21 of 39 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 7:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post
Don't complain about guys that can't drive a vehicle with a stick.
I cannot drive a car with an auto tranny. Never learned. I just CANNOT get the coordination figured out!
.....Don't feel bad. I never could figure out those push-button Mopars......
71350SS and busterwivell like this.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 8:36 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

I work in a port area. You canít imagine the quantity of clapped out rigs hauling containers I see everyday. Iím sorry to make this proclamation but they are the worst truck drivers I have seen. The highways leading in and out of the ports are just crawling with those trucks.

People donít like to have to think in high resolution. Jordan Peterson. Thatís why we are forced in to so many binary choices.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 8:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 8:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinls5 View Post
The easy way that may help when backing a trailer. With the trailer directly behind you................ Put you hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. The very bottom. Whatever direction you want the trailer to go, Turn you hand in that direction. You want the Tlr. to go left? With your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel,,, Push the steering wheel to the left, and the trailer goes left!
It all works the same for the right side.
Bob
That's the way they taught me in the Army, when I drove a duece and a half with a 500 gallon water trailer behind it.

66 Malibu

post #25 of 39 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 9:32 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS427Rick View Post
The new breed of Class 1 truck drivers in Canada is frightening. Many are "new Canadians" who literally buy their license and training from crooked driving schools run by other "new Canadians". No idea what they are doing, fudging logbook hours, 3 in the cab taking turns driving with only one of them having a license, the list goes on. This all came to a head 2 years ago when a truck driver with a couple weeks experience working for a trucking business owned by a new Canadian drove through a very well marked highway intersection stop sign, with advance signs and flashing lights, at highway speed and plowed into a hockey team bus killing 16 people and severely injuring many more. Not a day goes by without some incident involving these people. A week after the government shut down the trucking company involved for flagrant safety violations, the owner was trying to start it back up under another name. The actual truck driver involved got 8 years for killing 16 people. He will be out in a few years and hopefully deported back to India. Likely come back under another name. It is truly frightening.
Thanks. Now I am going to be fearing for my life the next time I am in heavy Toronto traffic on the 401. LOL
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 10:36 AM
Jim

Garage

I manage a fleet of trucks at my job, 8 of which are Oil tankers (straight trucks, 1 of which I drive). We have been changing them out over time for automatics and we only have one manual now (DT466 International w/ a 2 speed rear). It is being phased out currently, just ordered a new chassis. It is an easy truck to drive if you aren't an uncoordinated moron. We had one guy I was training who was supposed to be a "professional", and he about ripped the trans out of the damn thing because he just couldn't get the 2 speed shift procedure through his head. Needless to say, I put him in the passenger seat and saved the trans. I do, however, love my automatic.

My CDL is a B with tanker, air brake, and HAZMAT. It will cost me a a little under a couple grand to upgrade to my A using a truck driving service (basically renting his truck, a few lessons to get familiar with his truck @ $175 a lesson and a testing fee of $250, plus Motor Vehicle Admin fees) and I just don't have the coin yet. The skills and road test are a piece of cake in my opinion. The hard part is having to do the pre-trip over again each time you want to upgrade your license (I would have to do it again to get a Passenger endorsement, which means I need to find a bus to rent). Each tester (in Maryland) has their own way of wanting the pre-trip done and NOBODY I have ever heard of passes on the first try. Ever. Even if you already have your CDL. I had one guy in training that had to do it 3 times before he passed, and basically did the same pre-trip each time. My point being that I agree with the thread starter, the CDL testing is very arbitrary. They seem to be more focused on putting "safe truck" on the road then "safe drivers" to drive them.

Sorry to ramble.

'71 SS 350
3rd and 6th owner
2017 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 11:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude View Post
Thanks. Now I am going to be fearing for my life the next time I am in heavy Toronto traffic on the 401. LOL
Fear more for the retarded 4 wheelers on the road.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raineman View Post

My CDL is a B with tanker, air brake, and HAZMAT. It will cost me a a little under a couple grand to upgrade to my A using a truck driving service (basically renting his truck, a few lessons to get familiar with his truck @ $175 a lesson and a testing fee of $250, plus Motor Vehicle Admin fees) and I just don't have the coin yet. The skills and road test are a piece of cake in my opinion. The hard part is having to do the pre-trip over again each time you want to upgrade your license (I would have to do it again to get a Passenger endorsement, which means I need to find a bus to rent). Each tester (in Maryland) has their own way of wanting the pre-trip done and NOBODY I have ever heard of passes on the first try. Ever. Even if you already have your CDL. I had one guy in training that had to do it 3 times before he passed, and basically did the same pre-trip each time. My point being that I agree with the thread starter, the CDL testing is very arbitrary. They seem to be more focused on putting "safe truck" on the road then "safe drivers" to drive them.

Sorry to ramble.
I got my class B maybe 25 years ago. Took it in a 6 wheel dump, went to a 3rd party test site, i was probably done in an hour. Now at the same testing site its 3 hrs. I took my class A a year or 2 after in a mack 10 wheeler with a 20 ton tag along trailer. I had to take this test through the state, and a state trooper is the tester. Pre trip lasted about 7 minutes, i got about to the front rear and the guy said to me, "its really apparent you know what you are doing here (which i do)....trailers the same, right?" Off we went on the parking lot stuff, backing into stalls, etc, no issues there. headed off to the road test. Guy was super cool, we got to talking about snowmobiles and upstate property.......i could have run over a bus load of nuns at this point and he would not have cared. He said they all had to rotate around to different tests, and he liked doing class A the best, since most were upgrades from a class B. Most people in this situation knew what they were doing. He said doing cars was the worst. He said trying to test someone that couldnt speak english was a real issue.

We encourage out employees to get a CDL, and we pay them more if they have one. When the time comes, we usually put the last person we sent through it with them to go over the pre trip. My pre trip would get things done, but its not exactly how its done now.

CDL drivers are really hard to come by these days. And GOOD CDL A drivers are like a unicorn.

I've seen our drivers wedge parking lot ballards under trailers, we blacked out an asphalt plant for the day once with someone driving around with the body up, and we did that too on a street once too. We hit a horse once too. (not our fault) The one ex-cdl instructor destroyed a trailer rim and tire on a curb in a parking lot. Blamed it on the township engineer for letting someone design the parking lot like that. No joke. i cant make this stuff up. I'm writing a book when i retire.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream66 View Post
i have no idea what the he is doing, but that sure is interesting. I learned on a 2 stick mack, 5 speeds on the one closest to you, and reverse, high and low on the other one. They were a ball to drive in reverse. you could fly in reverse, shifting 1-5. Its been a while since i have driven really, but an 8 or a 9 wouldnt be an issue. throw me a 10 and i always try to drive it like a 9, and forget 6th. Our one lowboy is an 18, and i would really have to think about that one for a little while before heading out in it. 13 speed was my all time fav.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 1:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude View Post
Have you watched heavy rescue 401? Crazy. The guys that drive through BC on highway thru hell are something else. Lot of them are too lazy to even put chains on when they can't pull the hills.
I drove from 73 - 89 started in gas jobs with 5 speed & 2 speed axle.
13 speed road ranger was my favorite
I probably drove 90% of the logging roads in NE MN.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in