When these cars were cheap and plentiful - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 19, 10:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Re: When these cars were cheap and plentiful

Sounds like I grossly overpaid for my first car. 1976 I was a Jr. in high school and bought a black ‘68 4-4-2 for $900.00. I drove it for three years, but when gas was getting to be a dollar per gallon I couldn’t justify the high price of feeding it. So off it went. The next owner hit a utility pole with it and that was that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 19, 12:26 PM
John

I was 12 in 1970 and read all the car magazines, built car models and rode in my uncle's various vettes and musclecars. I would check out the dealer lots and remember seeing rows of 70 Chevelle SS in various colors with white or black stripes. I didn't know which to look at first. I remember opening the hood of a Liberty Blue 69 Judge to check out the ram air setup and seeing Superbirds sit on the lots until 1971.

By time I got my license in 1974, the gas crisis made musclecars cheap. I would frequent used car lots and there were plenty of choices almost all under $2,000. My insurance man told me I couldn't get anything over 400 cubic inches and no 4 speed. My choices at my $1,500 limit were an orange/black 70 383 Barracuda or a blue/white 69 Camaro SS with 325 horse 396. Unfortunately I bought the Barracuda. It was already rusting through around the windshield and rear window.

All my friends had musclecars- SS Chevelles, Trans Ams, 442s, Judges, you name it. My high school parking lot looked like a Saturday night cruise in with every type of musclecar and at least two Shelby Mustangs and a Jaguar XKE. Those were the days...
mr 4 speed and 12stones like this.
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 5:58 PM
Super Mod
Bob

Here is an ad from our local dealership in 1970 - 1967 GTO for $1299, 1969 Z28 for $2399, 1970 Plymouth Road Runner Superbird for $2899.

In 1982 i bought a 69 Camaro ss350 for $800 cash, Had it a few years through high school, traded if for a fast 66 Chevelle, which I traded for my current 69 Convertible.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e67/75414/carad.jpg
Flipper likes this.

1969 SS396 Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 19, 9:07 AM
John

I love those old ads and photos of car dealerships taken in the 60s and 70s. I held on to a few of my car magazines from back then and I wish I would have held on to a few of the Auto Trader papers I used to get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in