When these cars were cheap and plentiful - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 3:46 PM
Tech Team
Richard

Garage
Re: When these cars were cheap and plentiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad1969 View Post
what it was like walking around a Chevy dealership in the 60's or early 70's.

So old timers what do you say take a trip down memory lane and let the young'uns know what it was like.
I posted this once before but here it is again.

I bought my 70 SS new when I lived in Kansas City, Mo. It was late 1969 when I decided I wanted a car with more ponies than what my current car had which was 1967 GTO. At that time I had been reading up on the current muscle cars in the car magazines and read about GM coming out with a 454 engine in their 1970 SS Chevelle and that was a big deal! It was also the muscle car magazines where I learned about the LS6 engine option which GM did not openly advertise.

After visiting several dealerships with none of them having a 1970 SS Chevelle on their lot or even aware of what the LS6 option was I finally visited Van Chevrolet in Shawnee Mission, Kansas. They had a red SS Chevelle with saddle interior and black stripes (like the ones so often seen in their advertising brochures) sitting out front in a prominent location to get the attention of young eager car shoppers like myself.

I talked to a salesman with the last name of DeSpain and told him what I was looking for. He led me out to another location on their large lot where there were several beautiful 1970 SS Chevelles, all sitting in a neat row (Iíd love to have a photo of what I saw). I do not recall what engines were in the individual cars but he gave me the keys to one that had an LS6 engine and told me to start it up. I canít describe the exhilarating impression it made on me when I started that LS6 up and heard and felt it running. The salesman knew what he was doing, lol and it didnít take long for me to decide that I had to have the LS6 so I ordered it the way I wanted it. It was my daily driver for the next three years and after I got married it was then my wifeís daily driver for about the next eight years.

1970 SS LS6 original drive train - one owner
Astro Blue - Ivory bench - M22 - 4:10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 3:55 PM
Senior Tech Team

Subscribed

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 (SOLD)

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 5:28 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

I remember back in High School any and almost everyday you could find A couple 69 & 70 Chevelle SS's. One of the 69's was a silver on black convertible, the other was an orange w/black hardtop . A couple 67 SS Chevelles, 67 tri power GTO, a 64 Chevy II 350 engine, and I believe it was a 70 blue Ford GT Torino. None were clones except the ChevyII that came with a 6cyl.. And on top of that,I went to a very small school. These were the ordinary cars, I remember these like yesterday, along with the names of who owned them.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 6:23 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

I remember in high school, 1980 grad. there was 2 67 ss chevelles. both of them paid a whopping 200 bucks for the cars. I buddy had a 67 ss350 camaro his folks bought it for him, butternut yellow and they repainted it white, and a new black interior, a few weeks later he blew up the motor and offered it for sale for 600 bucks, I drug home a 70 gtx around 81 for $125 bucks less trans and the Dana rear. basically paid $100 for the 44 magnum and 25 bucks for the air grabber hood and body.
another kid in school was trying to sell his 318 challenger for $1000 and couldnt get any takers. jim
boyd66k20 likes this.

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 6:35 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

I might have known you back then Richard, what is your last name?

The owner of Van Chevrolet back then, Cecil VanTuyl and his wife, Ruby were one of my customers for years doing plumbing, HVAC and electrical maintenance at their summer home in Mission Hills KS.
So I put the VAN emblem back on my 69 when I finished it in 1986 and the first place I took it was to their house to show it to Ruby and her little dog named Corvette. Cecil was a workaholic and was't home very often.

Which reminds me of another story;

I went to church with a guy who was Cecil's nephew.
He would get a new car every couple of years from Van and Mr. VanTuyl would have him tell a salesman what he wanted and bring the paper work to him for a special "nephew deal".

He told the salesman he wanted a 350 in the new 72 convertible he was getting and the salesman said "they are 360 this year"

He was really surprised when the Chevele came in and he found out that the salesman was talking horse power, not cubic inches and it had a big block 454 engine. (with a dual snorkel air cleaner)

post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 6:40 PM
Tech Team

Garage

and were all still living the dream, even at 70. heh heh. Who would have thought eh?

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 9:58 PM
Team Member
Tom

I was there when it all happened------------and before it happened.
When I was in grade school and Jr-hi, the "hot" cars were still modified flattys (flat head Fords for those newbies), 6cyl Chevys with a split exhaust manifold with Smittys and dual exhaust. And an occasional Olds. Drag strips and drag racing had come to town!!!! EVERYTHING was good. Anyone remember stuff like Art Arfons and the Green Monster, powered by an Allison V12 airplane engine?

When the 55 Chevys with the "power pack" engine (factory 4bl carb and dusl exhaust), Fords with the 292 Y-blocks, Corvettes and T-birds with V8s -------------------THE RULES CHANGED. Later Chevys and Vettes with 2x4 carbs, fuel injection, T-birds with 2x4 carbs, Olds with the J2 engine, 56 Pontiacs with 2x4 carbs, etc, etc, etc. And later 348 Chevys with 3 carbs, 390 Fords with 3 carbs. Then 409s, 427s, HEMIs, BOSS 429s, 454s --------------- and a 4sp and posi in everything!!!!!!!!!!!! Yep, I remember it all just as if it was yesterday. Then the govt and insurance folks got involved and last, the Arab oil embargo of 73 killed it all ----------------- IT WAS OVER!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 10:29 PM
Fred

Bought my first car a Ď69 z/28 with 44k miles in Ď74 for $1,600. Bought my Ď70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 w/M22 & 14k miles in Ď78 for $2,400. Iím currently in the process of a frame off restoration on the Ď70 Chevelle; has 34k miles now. My brother still has my Ď69 z/28.
augy, boyd66k20 and 12stones like this.
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 8:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCMO454 View Post

he gave me the keys to one that had an LS6 engine and told me to start it up. I canít describe the exhilarating impression it made on me when I started that LS6 up and heard and felt it running
Speaking of LS6's......in 1970 one of my buddies (Howie) decided he wanted a new muscle car, either a Chevy or a Mopar, but NO Fords. He was driving a '64 Impala SS, 327/4 speed, at the time. We drove over to Clements Chevrolet in Mankato, MN when it was still located downtown, and walked inside. They had two LS6's, one black, one green, sitting on the showroom floor and a red one out on the lot as a demonstrator. All three had M22's in them. Salesman handed Howie the keys to the one outside and said "come back in half an hour". We tested that car for all it was worth. They wrote up a temporary Purchase Order for the black one on the floor. Howie told the salesman he also wanted to test-drive a new 440/6 Pak Road Runner before making a decision. So we went to a Plymouth dealer and tested an orange 440/6 Pak/automatic Road Runner. Howie ended up buying that one because it was $300 less than the LS6, and the Chevy salesman wouldn't budge off his price.

He later regretted his decision because the Runner was such a poorly-assembled car. Cheap interior, everything rattled, 440 burned oil from day 1. He actually went to several Chevy dealers after about 2 months to trade the Runner in on an LS6. None were available and it was too late in the year to order a new one.

To this day, that red LS6 is the only one I ever rode in. I should have bought that black one, but had just ordered a new '70 L78 Nova from another dealer.
KCMO454 likes this.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 9:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jonathan

Dad and Mom bought their first Chevelle in 1969, a dark blue Concours wagon with A/C, their first car with A/C and a 307, this was a second car, before then they shared 1 car. In August of 71 Dad bought the 72 midnight Bronze 2 door, Mom hated the 2 door because the doors were heavy so dad titled it in only his name. To this day almost 50 years later she still does not like the car.

In 1979 Dad wanted a 1979 Olds Delta 88 Royale diesel. He special ordered the car and when it came in the 69 Wagon was traded in for $100.

In 1986 I was working at the same Olds dealer dad bought the Delta 88 from and a 72 Monte Carlo showed up in the trade in line. I asked about it and bought it for $400. It had a 402 and was completely loaded down to the power seats. Long story short in 1991 I was needing to get on my own and sold the Monte for $1600., it was rusty and in need of TLC. I think the market for muscle cars started to grow somewhere in the early 90's.

Two 72 Chevelle Malibus, both 350 2bbls one Placer Gold, one Midnight Bronze

Other cars:
2005 Pontiac Vibe
2005 Ford Excursion
2000 Dodge Durango
2003 Mercedes E320
2-2018 Ford Fusions
2013 Ford Fusion
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 4:17 AM
Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream66 View Post
I relive those days on a regular basis when driving one of the 5 replicas of favorite cars that I had from 55 thru 72 and one one 64 original that I located and repurchased last year.

It's total insanity - the amount of time and money I've spent on these relics. I should have added air conditioning to everyone of them but so far only two have it. Hard to believe that we drove these things in south TX back then and thought nothing of the sweltering heat.
So true! I grew up in south Texas myself. My high school car was only 2 yrs old when I got it. A 1969 Chevelle SS 396 four speed car. It had a/c. I promptly took off that power robbing thing (so stupid of me) my Dad caught me doing it and said: "Why didn't you just take the belt off it?" (wish I'd thought of that)

Anyhow, we never heard the term "muscle car" back then, they were just our "hot rods". I miss those days, and have owned many a 'muscle car' if I had known what they would be worth some day, I would have kept them all.

Once, I bought a 55 Chevy 2 door post, Dad made me take it back because the engine was doctored with 90 weight to keep a knocking rod quiet. The car was in mint condition, candy apple red, and nice interior, paid 3OO bucks for it...oh well...LOL those truly were "the days"
HKalin likes this.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 8:01 AM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

Jeff, right after my folks bought me the camaro, I found a set of MT valve covers I just had to put on. well the valve covers wouldnt allow the ac bracket to fit back on so I yanked the perfectly good working ac off the car to have a set of valve covers on instead! And since I wasnt using the condenser, I cut the ends off and turned it into a rather large trans cooler. jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 12:14 PM
Rian

My first car was a 1970 Malibu that I got when I was 15, back in 1979. It was factory equipped with an LS3 B.B. 402, a Muncie M20 4-speed, front disc brakes, a console, and bucket seats. I didn't know how to work on it myself, so I sold it less than a year later. In early 2004, I set out to locate the car. My insurance agent (from 1979) still had a copy of my old policy which showed the VIN. A friend of a friend of a friend was a police office who agreed to run the VIN and find the current owner for me. Using that information, I found my car in a town about 2 hours away (in another State).

I approached the owner and tried to buy the car from him. He was sentimental about it since his Dad had worked on it with him prior to his death; therefore, he didn't want to sell it. I told him that I was sentimental about the car since it was my first. I then sent follow up letters to him every six months asking him to contact me if he ever wanted to sell it. In late 2006 one of his sisters called me and said that he had died. She said that the day before he died he told her to sell the car back to me; "that I should have it". Although it had been cloned, it was still in very good condition. I bought the car from his sisters the next day and don't plan to ever sell it.

His sisters told me that he loved the car so much that he had a photo of it laser etched on his tombstone. I visited the cemetery (in the Chevelle) and saw the headstone for myself. Attached are photos of the car (with me in 1979) and again in 2016.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1970 Chevelle 4.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	600758   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06708.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	600760  
augy, boyd66k20, 12stones and 1 others like this.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 12:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Dad bought this '55 210 Delray for $60 in 1975.

All he did to it was put new GM fenders on it, and primed them and the doors. I bought it from him for $8k last year and have only changed & painted the wheels and tires so far. I hope to have it roadworthy next spring.
busterwivell, augy and boyd66k20 like this.

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's

-
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 7:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek69SS View Post
Dad bought this '55 210 Delray for $60 in 1975.

All he did to it was put new GM fenders on it, and primed them and the doors. I bought it from him for $8k last year and have only changed & painted the wheels and tires so far. I hope to have it roadworthy next spring.
I love my Chevelle, but I also love my 56 210 2 door sedan, that I got on the road last September. I've put 9600 miles on it since it hit the road last September. Thanks to PHILIP< or it never would have been on the road!

66 Malibu

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in