Swap meets - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 19, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Greg

Swap meets

I went to the local swap meet a couple weeks ago, is it just me or are these things turning it to a flee market. It used to be mostly only car parts, new and or aftermarket and used parts. Now I find it is tables of rust junk you see time after time and everything user the sun. And the everything under the sun tables out number the car parts related tables three to one. The tables that are still car parts are mostly junk, maybe one supplier of aftermarket or some one that specializes in tri fives or mustangs but rarely any more. If I want to look for chinaware or old military stuff I would go to a swap meet for that stuff.
mino65 likes this.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 19, 1:13 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Swap meets

In general the bigger swapmeets have become like that. The smaller ones, that are usually done by noon tend to still be more car related. Thatís even changing, the supply of good used parts has virtually dried up, most buyers want to offer pennies on the dollar and manny sellers of used parts want top dollar. Iíve been selling at at least a couple of swapmeets a year since the late-80ís, this is the first year Iím wonít. There isnít any reason to anymore, Iím switching to eBay for my better stuff. Iíll probably do one swapmeet every other year, just to keep the garage clean.

Steve R
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 19, 1:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Agree, I can walk for an entire day at the big meet here in april and maybe find 1 or 2 things I need. I still go for the vendors selling cheap bags of rags and the guy selling quality abrasives. The majority of the vendors bring their stuff year after year and they never seem to lower their prices, bringing the same stuff back. That makes no sense to me, but that's their gig. The atmosphere is great still, and it's tradition to attend, so I'll be there till I can't.
I remember the days I'd have to make several trips back to my stall in the first few hours, grabbing prizes left and right.
Now, as for selling, I literally have to sell holleys at $40, intakes at $20 and just about give away common parts any more. That's why I typically don't sell, just set up and break out the cooler and bbq and we just kick it for the weekend. Still fun, just not quite the same.
64elkynss, Steve R and RAIDER SS like this.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 19, 2:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Duke

Sounds like the Carlisle events in spring and fall. Ebay has totally changed the swap meet thing. This is the first year in probably 20 that I skipped spring Carlisle and I may not go back again. Nothing stays the same....
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 19, 5:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

I spoke to a vendor at the Macungie show. He said that he only brings items that are too big to ship because he can turn more profit by ebay on the small stuff.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 19, 11:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
JOHN

I took some good 67 to 72 Chevy truck parts to a swap meet last week , everyone wanted to pay pennies on the dollar for good parts . I had presold a set of 5 powder coated 15x8 6 lug steel wheels for $700 and agreed to deliver to the local meet for another guy to get them to West Virginia , Im in Ga . Since I was delivering the wheels I took a lot of other good parts and brought most back home . I build these trucks so I dont mind having the parts for future builds .
Steve R and shovelrick like this.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 9:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

I've done ok at swap meets with stuff. I usually bring home a couple hundred bucks each time I go. I don't price stuff high, I price it to sell, and lots of stuff sells without any haggling. My swap meet trailer is almost empty, got to get busy again, I guess.

66 Malibu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 10:53 AM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage

I love going to swap meets but usually don't find the parts I am looking for. I will not buy a used part for over half of the cost of a new part. And if it is a new part and not being sold by a known dealer, it better be priced at a deep discount. I have bought my fair share of damaged and mis-represented parts. I don't trust anyone selling at swap meets. They know you will never see them again.
Chevycollecter likes this.

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 11:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

Love a good swap meet but many are getting the same way around here, maybe not as bad but lots of non car stuff and toys. If work allows, I try to hit both Coy's meets at Bandimere and the Tri State meet at the National Western complex. I'd like to find more in the area but so far these are my long tern favorites. I usually go to the Polar Bear meet but it has gotten smaller each year and the percent of non car stuff has grown every year; for the past 5 years I say I'm not going but I need a mid winter car fix by then so I go anyway...

Any tips on other good ones in the Colorado front range area? I'd be open to a 200 - 300 mile drive for a really good meet.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 12:24 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

That's why I quit going to the big swap meet near here, a lot of extra walking with so much flee market stuff that I don't care to see.

It wouldn't be so bad if they were all in one section separate from the car stuff but they're mixed in everywhere. (I guess it's still like that)
64elkynss, 71350SS and Blown1932 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 12:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
That's why I quit going to the big swap meet near here, a lot of extra walking with so much flee market stuff that I don't care to see.

It wouldn't be so bad if they were all in one section separate from the car stuff but they're mixed in everywhere. (I guess it's still like that)

That's a great idea, having separate areas for toys and non car stuff would really help. Likely too much "work" for most people who run them (although it would be relatively easy to implement.

If I remember correctly, Polar Bear had a limit of X percent (think it was 10 or 20%) non car related and had it all in a separate building. It worked great! However, over the years the amount of sellers declined and they have apparently opened it up to unlimited non car and it's all mixed together; what a shame...
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 1:13 PM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

Quote:

Separating the vendors would be great for buyers but would kill the vendors. There wouldnít be enough people to walk through the dozens of vendors selling Hot Wheels.
I usually go to 1-2 swap meets a year and wander around everywhere. Iím outside, see friends, have a hotdog and a beer and maybe buy something. More often I go home with nothing but thatís cool.
64elkynss likes this.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 2:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Quote:

Had a friend that produced about ten swap meets a year. He always complained that tool vendors were buying up so many spaces they were crowding auto parts vendors out. Told him to put all the tool vendors in one area, so people that weren't interested in their cheap chineese crap could just avoid them all at the same time. After about a year of lumping them all together, the problem pretty much solved itself.
Derek69SS likes this.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 4:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHED View Post
everyone wanted to pay pennies on the dollar for good parts .
I guess it depends on your point of view... You think buyers are cheap, but I think most seller's are way over-priced... Just like the B-J auctions have cause many sellers to over-price their cars, I feel eBay has caused a lot of swap meet vendors to over-price their stuff...

I just went to the 'Hot August Nights" swap meet on Reno on Friday... Really sad... I usually come home with something, but this time, nothing... It is still nice to actually be able to inspect something unlike eBay, but hard to find much of anything, seems like parts supplies are drying up...
68-13427 and Tophog like this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 4:23 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
I guess it depends on your point of view... You think buyers are cheap, but I think most seller's are way over-priced... Just like the B-J auctions have cause many sellers to over-price their cars, I feel eBay has caused a lot of swap meet vendors to over-price their stuff...

I just went to the 'Hot August Nights" swap meet on Reno on Friday... Really sad... I usually come home with something, but this time, nothing... It is still nice to actually be able to inspect something unlike eBay, but hard to find much of anything, seems like parts supplies are drying up...
Swapmeets like the one at Hot August nights and Turlock are notoriously over priced. Many of the vendors are professional sellers and travel to get there. They donít care if they sell any particular or not. The best deals are always going to be at the smaller club run swapmeets where you are likely to find some sellers cleaning out their garage. Besides, the Hot August nights swapmeet you went to started Thursday, almost every good deal would have sold on the first day.

Steve R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in