Truck trivia question - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Miguel Camino

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Member

Truck trivia question

When I am out on the interstate I never see cab-over-engine highway tractors anymore. Is there some reason that they have gone away? I see only conventional cab tractors nowadays. What is up with that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 19, 12:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Re: Truck trivia question

Look real close at the Conventional tractors. The steering axel is set back so its dang near like a COE tractor. YES, You can still buy a long nose Petercar and a KW.
Todays tractors with the set back steer is very nice riding and REAL EASY to get in and out of.
I did not like my Cab over KW, WHY? Between you and the wreck ,,,, You have a VERY thin piece of Alum.
Bob
Plus... A lot of laws have changed regards to O.A.L. & Wheel base, Trailer length. & distance between axels. The first number in the late eightys were--13--36--55 Ft. Now you can pull a 102" wide. Doubles & Triples in some states. Many years ago Roadway X. would run radials on the steer axel, WHY?
Bias. tires were rated at 5300 Lbs. each or X-2= total of 10.600Lbs. Radials were 8300 Lbs. or X-2= 16200 Lbs. BIG-R ran 15000 Lb. steer axels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.

Last edited by Robinls5; Aug 9th, 19 at 12:48 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 19, 10:36 AM
Tech Team
Gavin

I still see cab over tractors around here every so often. Theyíre not common anymore. Mostly farmers have them in these parts. Once in a great while Iíll see one on the interstate. Cool looking rigs, for sure.

My father tells me I was born 30 years too late.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 19, 11:02 AM
Team Member
Tom

A cab-over in Okla is ultra rare any more. And it seems that the ones which I do see appear to be older trucks. It's been MANY years since I've seen a modern cab over.
I've also wondered why cab over trucks are scarce.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 19, 11:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
Brian

I'd say a lot of it has to do with ride quality. After all... you are sitting on top of the front axle.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 19, 11:17 AM
Tech Team
Chuck

Garage

Aerodynamics for fuel mileage. Cab-overs were bricks compared to the trucks on the road today.
64elkynss likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 19, 12:16 PM
Tech Team

Throughout Europe all you see are cabovers, no conventional trucks at all.

Jax, FL

69 SS 396 El Camino
Numbers Match
(Resto began 7-17)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 19, 12:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Europe is all cabover due to ancient streets/turning radius concerns. But yeah, very rare to see one on the road here. In my youth I wouldn't have been caught dead in a cabover but these days if I got back into the business I might specifically seek one out, preferably with boat-anchor Detroit 2 stroke. Curious how our tastes change as we mature.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 19, 4:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Way back the old 318s were know as a " Double Breasted Yamaha ". I just came back from England and most all C.O.E. have a set back steer axel. LOOK at the fifth wheel placement on the C.O.Es. from across the pond!
In most of Europe due to the roads that are in place, You must have a COE and a Pup Trailer or two.
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 19, 10:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Aerodynamics and fuel mileage are part of the reason as well!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 19, 11:43 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Also the relaxing of trailer & total unit length has eased the need for the space savings of a tilt cab. Today all I seem to see are conventionals. I think Schneider Transport was the last I saw around here running International COEs.

As was said, all you see in Europe are cab-overs. I saw numerous cabover tractor-trailers getting on & off of ferries when I was there recently. They have narrow roads in ancient cities & plenty of mountain pass switch-backs. Parking in Europe is almost a contact sport.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in