Team Chevelle banner

Engine and transmission in the attic

12K views 113 replies 47 participants last post by  shovelrick 
#1 · (Edited)
The son of a friend of mine and his wife just bought a house. Moved in last week. While stuffing some of their junk into the attic he noticed what he thinks is a small block Chevy and an automatic transmission up there. It’s in an area above the door to the garage so above the kitchen. He says he has no idea how they would have gotten it up there or how he will get it down.
WTF?
He called me because he knows I mess with old cars so I’m going to go there tomorrow. I’ll crawl up there and see what kind of numbers I can find.
But here’s my first thought...it’s might be rare or valuable or both. Why would anyone go through all of the trouble to stick a 305 or a 307 in the attic? I’m thinking some prior owner stuck it up there for safe keeping and it got forgotten or they died or ?? Or then again maybe it is a 305 and some sic bastard is laughing every time he thinks about what people will think when they find it.
I’ll try to get some pics of where it is too.
Hilarious.

#107 ·
Should be able to tell by looking at it. Cast will have a sharp ridge at the parting line, forged will be smoother and wider at the parting line. There's also the hammer test. give it a gentle tap on the flange. Forged will have a nice "ring" to it. Cast will sound hollow and have a "dead" sound to it.

#111 ·
It was a forged crank.
I talked to a Ford buddy and he said that the later blocks were thinner and not as desirable. He said to try to get $300 for the block and crank I’d be good.
So I sold them to a guy building a 32 Fird who really only wanted the crank. Got $300.
Now I just have to get rid of the C6 transmission.

#114 ·
It was a forged crank.
I talked to a Ford buddy and he said that the later blocks were thinner and not as desirable. He said to try to get $300 for the block and crank I’d be good.
So I sold them to a guy building a 32 Fird who really only wanted the crank. Got $300.
Now I just have to get rid of the C6 transmission.
C6 is the Turbo 400 of Ferds, I put one in my 64 Tbird in 1976 laying on a sheet of plywood in our yard (ever heard of Sand Spurs?) but I did have use of a trans jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.