Team Chevelle banner

Ford's Super Duty Powertrains...

879 views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Robinls5 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Steel pistons can handle a lot higher peak cylinder pressure and temps. The latest designs keep the mass in check, with all the benefits of the higher grade material.

#3 ·
A lot of the towing guys on the RV forums didn't seem too impressed with the 7.3 power numbers. But power isn't everything.... the 7.3 was designed for mpg under load, and longevity/durability. It'll be interesting to see how those pan out.

#4 ·
One other aspect of a steel piston is that its heat transfer is less than aluminum and keeps heat in the chamber and not in the oil. That extra heat is a benefit for a Diesel. And the thermal expansion rates for steel would be less than many typical piston alloys, allowing or a tighter fit.
I had a chat with the chief engineer from a piston company and he oddly noted that the piston temperatures in a Detroit Diesel (2 stroke) were higher than the melting temperature of aluminum pistons.

#9 ·
One other aspect of a steel piston is that its heat transfer is less than aluminum and keeps heat in the chamber and not in the oil. That extra heat is a benefit for a Diesel. And the thermal expansion rates for steel would be less than many typical piston alloys, allowing or a tighter fit.
I had a chat with the chief engineer from a piston company and he oddly noted that the piston temperatures in a Detroit Diesel (2 stroke) were higher than the melting temperature of aluminum pistons.

Hence the oil cooling spray underneath the crown of that piston!!

#12 ·
I do know. My buddy has a large truck shop. He is praying FORD keeps building the POWER STROKE. If they stop building the STROKER he will have to lay off some people.:laugh:
How about , " LIFTING " the cab OFF to change the exhaust pipe that goes down directly dead center on the back of the engine and over the bellhousing.:surprise:
..............................................................................................................
My friends please remember
...............................................................................................................
SPEED KILLS............. DRIVE A FORD
YOU WILL LIVE FOREVER
...............................................................................................................
Bob:thumbsup:

Reactions: davewho1
#15 ·
Remember the Power Stroke is the new term. The Original Diesel in a Ford pick/up was a........... ??? The International Diesel, That was a Gem!...:crying:
Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.