1.5 Million Bad Dual Clutch Transmissions - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By fishhead
  • 1 Post By JWagner

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 19, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
1.5 Million Bad Dual Clutch Transmissions

Ford knew they were bad before building the cars but went ahead and built and sold them. Now the Feds are going after them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 19, 11:16 AM
Senior Tech Team
Brian

Re: 1.5 Million Bad Dual Clutch Transmissions

Some ones gonna have some explaining to do.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 19, 11:56 AM
Gold Member

There have been some good articles about this recently. One weird factor is that the transmission is built by a German firm, Getrag, and Ford is not allowed to get all the technical info on it that they would like in order to contribute to solutions to the problems. Industrial secrets and all that, I suppose.
Here is a bit more from the Detroit Free Press.
https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...it/1119773001/
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 19, 7:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Heres the issue with buying something from overseas.

They have a interest in our market.

They are essentially an enemy.

With what happened to Volkswagen buyback...Ford ought to be pressed to do the same thing.

Dumb move ford.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 19, 11:39 PM
Team Member
Dave

I work as a service advisor in a Ford dealership, and these things are almost impossible to fix correctly. I had one come back today for the 3rd time in 6 months with the same problem.

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 19, 9:40 AM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
There have been some good articles about this recently. One weird factor is that the transmission is built by a German firm, Getrag, and Ford is not allowed to get all the technical info on it that they would like in order to contribute to solutions to the problems. Industrial secrets and all that, I suppose.
Here is a bit more from the Detroit Free Press.
https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...it/1119773001/
Now I wonder if the same company is making the Corvette Dual Clutch Transmission.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 19, 10:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Now I wonder if the same company is making the Corvette Dual Clutch Transmission.
Tremec is making the C8 transmission.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 19, 10:55 AM
Senior Tech Team

My brother in Hawaii has one of these Fords.

It looks like the Corvette transmission is made by Tremec, which produces transmissions in Mexico and Belgium.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 19, 1:08 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul bell View Post
My brother in Hawaii has one of these Fords.

It looks like the Corvette transmission is made by Tremec, which produces transmissions in Mexico and Belgium.
I hope they are better than the ones built for Ford.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 19, 2:59 PM
Tech Team
Richard

After watching the video it becomes clear that this is what Ford does to customers buying their low dollar econo-boxes.
Not sure what their margins are (Were) on these but having to "fix" them over and over has to wipe out any profit.
There is an old saying that the intelligence of any group can be determined by dividing normal IQ by the number of members.
Modern corporations have so many decision makers they are functionally brain-dead.
Ford and all the others need to get rid of their "Focus Groups", "Panels", Etc. and go back to having a strong vision guided by a handful of top brass.
Ol' Henry did not consult a marketing team before deciding T's came only in black!

At these gas prices I want it 100+ octane, leaded, and my windshield washed!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 19, 3:11 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard/SIA View Post
After watching the video it becomes clear that this is what Ford does to customers buying their low dollar econo-boxes.
Not sure what their margins are (Were) on these but having to "fix" them over and over has to wipe out any profit.
There is an old saying that the intelligence of any group can be determined by dividing normal IQ by the number of members.
Modern corporations have so many decision makers they are functionally brain-dead.
Ford and all the others need to get rid of their "Focus Groups", "Panels", Etc. and go back to having a strong vision guided by a handful of top brass.
Ol' Henry did not consult a marketing team before deciding T's came only in black!
Ha! I've been saying the same thing forfrigginever! Seems any production or design body is a "team" anymore and gives everyone a chance to sit, drink coffee and pass on cognitive advancement. Brings stupidity and cost to an all-time high.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 19, 3:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard/SIA View Post

Ol' Henry made his share of screw-ups too. He was the one who initially decided to use Florida Spanish moss as stuffing for the seats in his Model T. The moss was full of biting insects, Henry had to rethink his cushion decision.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 19, 3:41 PM
Tech Team
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnugene View Post
[/B] Ol' Henry made his share of screw-ups too. He was the one who initially decided to use Florida Spanish moss as stuffing for the seats in his Model T. The moss was full of biting insects, Henry had to rethink his cushion decision.
New factoid to me, and his son decided that maybe more colors would not be a bad idea after-all, and sales increased.
But most of the truly classic car designs had a single individual or leader of a small group behind them.
GTO, Cobra, early Jaguars, Ferrari, Duisenberg........

The new "Corporate" crap just makes everyone faceless, no one shines and no one is accountable for this sort of stupidity.

At these gas prices I want it 100+ octane, leaded, and my windshield washed!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 19, 4:11 PM
Team Member
Lyle

The only companies that should be run by lawyers and accountants... are law firms and accounting agencies.
When engineering took a back seat to these barnacles build quality and longevity had to plummet.
So Ford outsourced transmissions for budget cars without due diligence, no doubt saving money, and taxpayers
will get saddled with the bill because Ford will be labelled "too big to fail." It is nice to think this would teach
car makers to stop pinching pennies by outsourcing, but corporate greed mandates "globalization"
no matter the consequences, particularly to American workers, presumably Ford's customers.
I will never buy a new car.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 19, 5:00 PM
Gold Member

When companies outsource product design and manufacturing they need to keep a close watch on them. Keep on them as if they were your own employees. This is not about micro-managing, but about knowing what they are up to and are they meeting the company's goals and specifications? I have worked with consultants in product design and found that keeping in touch with them frequently makes sure that both are on the same page.
Kirk's67SS likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in