(New)Car shows - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 7:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jason

(New)Car shows

I’ve been to 3 local shows this year and I see newer cars 2005-2019 outnumbering classics 5:1 and they are winning best muscle car awards with 4 door Chargers. Are y’all having the same type of thing going on at the shows your attending?
C-Pep's 71 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 8:08 PM
rkd
Senior Tech Team
Ron

Re: (New)Car shows

Not many car shows here, I would be fine with that type. I used to take Bullitt to lots of cruise ins when I lived on the Guilf Coast. There would be lots of new Mustangs, Shelbys, Roushes, etc. About 50/50 if I take the Chevelle or Bullitt.

66 Malibu Coupe, home rebuilt 350. Took me 39 years to get her!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 8:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

I don't bother with shows. I don't need to prove anything or get approval from anyone about my cars. I would rather do cruise-ins where the whole point is just for socializing. And yep... you'll still see far more late model stuff at them than classics. But at least you're not paying money to get ignored.

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 11:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

These events were to have the older cars there, imo. Not the new crap. If we want to see the new stuff, just pull into any car lot. Done. Nothing funnier, or actually pathetic, is having a newer car with the hood up thinking its impressing someone.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 7:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAT View Post
These events were to have the older cars there, imo. Not the new crap. If we want to see the new stuff, just pull into any car lot. Done. Nothing funnier, or actually pathetic, is having a newer car with the hood up thinking its impressing someone.
I tend to agree with this. BUT, most car shows are just that, where anyone can bring anything into it. Unless specified as a "classic car show" with a certain cut-off date, I wouldn't expect to see anything newer in those.

Last "car show" we attended, our '57 Chevy wagon still took 1st place over a few new Challengers, Mustangs, and Camaros....

I don't care if we win ANYTHING, and don't expect to. It's the only "car show" we go to, once a year. Plus it's a place to park our car right in amongst all our friends' classic cars (and a lot of newer ones) in our old home town.....
shovelrick and b&b's69 like this.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 8:02 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Who cares what wins at local car shows. If your just going to win a $5 trophy, chances are your going to be disappointed anyway.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 8:34 AM
Tech Team
John

This gives me a warm fuzzy every time I see a new challenger or mustang or whatever........

I built mine. You bought yours.
Iíve had mine torn down completely. I know every bolt. You didnít get that education.
I have no driver aids. Yours is full of them, and you probably need them.
I can fix mine, roadside if need be. Yours, not so much.
I get thumbs up all the time. You, meh.

Iíll go to a few shows a year, but never put mine in, like was stated earlier, I just donít care who wins.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 8:46 AM
Senior Tech Team
Pat

I have noticed a lot if newer cars at the shows around here as well. The old Chevellle held it's own this past Friday however, best in class and best of show 🙂
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190719_205859_740_1563798184476.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	598852  
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 8:52 AM
Senior Tech Team

There is no way to make everyone happy. Anytime something is subjective you build in some amount of controversy and disappointment, thatís how it works. Someone will always feel they deserved to win, but didnít. Itís best to go without any expectations.

Steve R
augy, shovelrick and p40 like this.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 9:15 AM
Senior Tech Team
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
There is no way to make everyone happy. Anytime something is subjective you build in some amount of controversy and disappointment, thatís how it works. Someone will always feel they deserved to win, but didnít. Itís best to go without any expectations.

Steve R
I prefer going to shows that are judged by outside folks not attached to the show who actually know what they are looking at. As I will put mine up against most when it comes to quality of the build and attention to detail. I generally don't go to or stick around long at the "you vote for me and I will vote for you shows" unless it is for a good cause. I am a huge animal love and will attend most of the local shows that benefit animals.
p40 likes this.
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 11:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

I donít go to local car shows but have noticed more newer cars at the few cruise nights I get to go to. I stick to Chevelle only shows.
DUKE 69 and 67since67 like this.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Best ET: [email protected] MPH

post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 11:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Race tracks are more fun than car shows anyway...

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's

-
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 12:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lance

Garage

Kinda makes me a little miffed, you've spent very serious money, time and a quantity of blood, sweat and tears doing your best to have a nice appearing, running Chevelle.....THEN.... they ask you for an additional $10-25 to show it, and the spectators get in free. Makes the cruise in's look kinda good, and who knows, you just might run into someone who has that missing part you've been looking for all this time.
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 2:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJohn View Post
This gives me a warm fuzzy every time I see a new challenger or mustang or whatever........

I built mine. You bought yours.
Iíve had mine torn down completely. I know every bolt. You didnít get that education.
I have no driver aids. Yours is full of them, and you probably need them.
I can fix mine, roadside if need be. Yours, not so much.
I get thumbs up all the time. You, meh.

Iíll go to a few shows a year, but never put mine in, like was stated earlier, I just donít care who wins.
I agree, and I have a badass new Challenger, 392 Scat Pack Shaker. It sits outside and my El Camino sits in the garage. At best, the El Camino is worth Ĺ the Challenger, and if I went to the local cruise, I would probably take the El Camino. If I want to see new Challengers, the dealership is a lot nicer. I don't understand how you judge new cars anyway, and I'm not into that. More like "Ooooh, look what he has in that Rambler, or look at that funky trike. And "I remember those!"
shovelrick likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 2:46 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

I like car shows that have an age limit as well sometime. I.e. "Your car must be at least 25 years old to enter" type shows.

Don't get me wrong, I like all kinds of cars and car shows. But I also sometimes don't want to walk past a parade line of 2018 Jeep Wranglers all set up for off roading that haven't hit anything larger than a mall speed bump (for example) to see the old cars. So knowing the makeup of the show is useful beforehand.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 2004r, 4.10
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in