Derailment disaster - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

7Likes
  • 1 Post By davewho1
  • 1 Post By DUTCH MAX HEADWORK
  • 5 Post By ZZ69chevelle

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 1:55 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1
Derailment disaster

Eleven days ago - first I heard of it:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...cid=spartanntp

At least it wasn't classic cars.
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 2:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage
Re: Derailment disaster

That's the middle of Nowhere. I think the Sheriff of Pioche still rides a donkey.

I'm familiar with the dirt trails west of Pioche, been lost out there a few times.
davewho1 likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 3:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

LT engine swap time.
JWagner, 71350SS, augy and 2 others like this.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 4:19 PM
Tech Team
Rick

Yes, a modern GM LS engine and transmission with all of their supporting parts and harnesses at insurance auction prices. Very nice. That's what they call a Gearhead Christmas in the middle of the year.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 5:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Caliente used to have the best little restaurant to stop at for breakfast. Haven't been out there since 2003, but I stopped there every time I drove through. Not much else there, other than the old train station. Neat if you're into old train history.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 6:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage

The rail company (or their insurance) will probably scrap everything even if it looks good. Prevents future liability problems. Same scenario happened with Mazda when their RoRo ship rolled over off the Alaska coast several years ago. They scrapped the whole load even though some cars weren't damaged.

I used to work for the railroad and serviced switching locomotives throughout the LA Metro area and the San Fernando Valley back in the late 70s, early 80. The Van Nuys plant had a small rail yard where they loaded the vehicles onto the rail cars. Off to the side of the loading area were a number of wrecked Camaros and Firebirds. I was told by my supervisor those were casualties of "driving" through the rail cars or just driven off the ramps during the loading process.

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 10:12 PM
Gold Member

Some chop shops would love to get those just for the ownership papers and the zero mileage spare parts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 7:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

How do you go about buying one of those scrapped trucks just for the running gear (LS swap)?

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 8:03 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

You don't. They will all likely be going to LKQ, and you know what the chances of buying a whole vehicle from them is.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 12:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ron

My Great Uncle was a Brakeman on the Southern Pacific. He told me a story of how a load of Hudsons was buried in the middle of Nevada somewhere after a derailment on the instructions of the insurance company. There were a couple of Hornets in the bunch, which as one of his favorite cars. He owned one for many years. He always talked about going "out there" to see if he could dig one up. They are probably in good shape in the desert soil...

My car is here:

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 12:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeron View Post
My Great Uncle was a Brakeman on the Southern Pacific. He told me a story of how a load of Hudsons was buried in the middle of Nevada somewhere after a derailment on the instructions of the insurance company. There were a couple of Hornets in the bunch, which as one of his favorite cars. He owned one for many years. He always talked about going "out there" to see if he could dig one up. They are probably in good shape in the desert soil...
Near Rock Springs, Wyoming several rail cars with late '70s Firebirds and other Pontiacs were were pushed into a hole and buried. I know several railroad signal guys that were there to put the track back in service. That used to be standard practice. These days they'll scrap the rail cars and the automobiles will be taken to an LKQ type place as has been stated.

In the last 20 years Union Pacific has phased out their heavy equipment and now all derailments are handled by contractors. All salvage work will be contracted out as well.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in