Real meaning of $0 and $1 Craigslist car ads - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 3:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Real meaning of $0 and $1 Craigslist car ads

In case you have ever wondered, here is what I think the real meaning is when sellers post cars for $0 or $1 on Craigslist:

$0 -- I am a used or new car dealer and the real price is so outrageously high that I am ashamed to reveal it, so I will post $0 and hope you will call or stop by so I can use my high pressure sales techniques to get you to pay too much.

$1 (or $4 or $7, etcÖ) Ė I am way too lazy to post what I want for the car so I will just list $1 spam price because I want you to guess how many zeros to add. I may post the real price somewhere in the description below but maybe not, you have to search for it or guess. In fact, I am so lazy that I hope you just click on ďprohibitedĒ now to spare others from having to guess my real price.

Am I missing any other hidden meanings?
1966_L78 likes this.

'69 Butternut Yellow 396
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 3:31 PM
Tech Team

Garage
Re: Real meaning of $0 and $1 Craigslist car ads

They get callbacks from services willing to list their vehicle at a usually high fee. Just my 2 cents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 4:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

If there is no price listed, I have no interest.
Chevycollecter, p40 and lkmarsh like this.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 4:47 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

I flag those.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 5:45 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

They post $1 or $0 to attract dreamers...the ones who are so optimistic and want to believe it's cheap. They think by calling that they are going to get the jump on other people who won't bother, which includes me. I'm starting to see too many ads where the price is something like 7. You know it's not 700 or 70,000 so it must be $7,000. I usually filter out anything less than $1,000 just for that purpose.

People donít like to have to think in high resolution. Jordan Peterson. Thatís why we are forced in to so many binary choices.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 6:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

My experience with sellers asking you to "make an offer".....they have an idea of what they want, but don't trust their knowledge. If you offer to little, they argue it's worth more. If you offer ANYTHING above what they had in mind, they assume you know much more about the true value and they had better step out of the sale and do some more research. They then, brag to everyone they know that they have a desirable and therefore valuable item that needs to be auctioned to the highest bidder. This results in them sitting on the item because they are , well, just plain clueless. Meanwhile, an honest buyer willing to pay an honest price gets nothing but wasted time. My rule, if the seller doesn't know, I aint offering. I can't tell you how many times I've given the seller exactly what their asking price was and they look as if they've been jail broke. Sellers really need to do their research before they list their goodies!!!
pduncan and shovelrick like this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 6:37 PM
Tech Team
grr

A way to not see those ads is put $100 in the min price, or $5,000 if you really don't want to see any of the ridiculous ads. I have absolutely no interest in people who won't put a price, either..

Just my .02....grr

grr
Build Thread

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 7:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

I like the ones that state "I know what its worth", and yet have it posted for 2-3 times what a realistic value would be... The ironically, the cars/parts are still for sale MONTHS later...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 9:16 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Since theres no "Make Offer" option,and you have to list a price, they put in $1.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 9:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

I usually flag those too (and especially the "call for price" listings). But, it no longer does really anything since they started taking $ for the car listings.

Quote:
Q. Are paid ads subject to automated deletion due to user flagging?

A. No. Paid posts flagged by users are reviewed by staff before any deletions take place.
One type of listing that will get pulled are local auction houses trying to generate interest in advance by listing upcoming auction vehicles. There's one in particular I see still doing it a lot. I definitely flag the a-holes that post their mobile auto repair/windshields/body work/misc parts/tools/etc. crap since that's mis-posting. Worse yet, since the fees went into effect, I'm seeing a lot more cars being listed under parts than ever before. FLAG FLAG FLAG!

I don't even look at the auto services section much at all - 90% just repeated spamming from the same few vendors over and over and over..... and over and over.

On the plus side -- I've seen a massive decline in obvious scammer listings.

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 10:25 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

I hate when you look in Used tires and wheels,buy seller, all of the local scrap yards and dealers put their **** there when they have their own place under ""dealers"
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 10:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
I like the ones that state "I know what its worth", and yet have it posted for 2-3 times what a realistic value would be... The ironically, the cars/parts are still for sale MONTHS later...
"They know what its worth" is because they watched Barret Jackson and they saw a car just like it sell for that amount.

66 Malibu......on it's way back to life as a BB
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 8:21 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

I don't understand the ads with a really great price and there is no method of contact except email wich you get no response from. Someone in my area does it with trailers like a nice car trailer for $1200. I don't know what the scam is but they do it repeatedly. They cannot see my email address so I'm not sure what they gain.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 9:19 AM
Jim

Garage

If its something I am interested in and the seller wants me to "make offer", I tell them I can't sell it AND buy it, or I'll tell them, well, you advertised it for $1 so.....$1.

'71 SS 350
3rd and 6th owner
2017 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 10:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jonathan

The reason I have done it is solicitor software scans those with prices and then the seller gets all sorts of calls from people wanting to help you sell or scammers wanting to send you money orders sight unseen. The scammers ignore a $1 entry.

Two 72 Chevelle Malibus, both 350 2bbls one Placer Gold, one Midnight Bronze

Other cars:
2005 Pontiac Vibe
2005 Ford Excursion
2000 Dodge Durango
2003 Mercedes E320
2-2018 Ford Fusions
2013 Ford Fusion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in