$10 to recycle used motor oil. Dang! - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Member

$10 to recycle used motor oil. Dang!

I was about to take a couple gallons of used oil to the local municipal household waste recycling place and checked their web site for hours of operation. Now it tells me that if I live in this county but not in an incorporated city it will cost me $10 to drop off my used oil. If I lived in one of the local cities it would be free. It used to be free for everyone. Now it seems that they want us that live in the county to put our oil in the trash. Seems like they are trying to discourage us from doing the "green" thing. This is not progress.
Once again, local politicians can ruin anything that worked in the past.
Philip, 64elkynss, bikeron and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 12:54 PM
Senior Tech Team

Around here (PA), every autozone, advance auto, and WalMart takes it for free.
64elkynss, blm, LeoP and 4 others like this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 12:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Re: $10 to recycle used motor oil. Dang!

Build a filtering system and re use it.

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.315 60'
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 1:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bart

Garage

All the oil change places where I live take it free, always have, is this something new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69SS Daytona yellow
L35, M-20, 3.73

"AC's 2 by 75...... you roll'em down & drive

"Time treats everybody like a fool"
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 1:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Duke

Probably not much call in your area for this, but here in western NY, folks advertise for used oil because they have waste-oil furnaces for use in the winter months. It's a win-win deal!
427L88, LeoP and SSJohn like this.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 1:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
I was about to take a couple gallons of used oil to the local municipal household waste recycling place and checked their web site for hours of operation. Now it tells me that if I live in this county but not in an incorporated city it will cost me $10 to drop off my used oil. If I lived in one of the local cities it would be free. It used to be free for everyone. Now it seems that they want us that live in the county to put our oil in the trash. Seems like they are trying to discourage us from doing the "green" thing. This is not progress.
Once again, local politicians can ruin anything that worked in the past.
Maybe the Local municipal household waste recycling place is funded by taxes on people who live in the local municipality?

I do not know for sure but it sounds like you might get what you pay for.
EdCarpenter likes this.

Quote of the day.
'The difference between trash pick up and a yard sale is the distance the stuff sits from the curb".
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 2:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Jeff, down here in Sahuarita, I take it to the land fill. They used to have 55 gallon drums that you could dump it in to. No more, you have to leave it in the container you brought it in. They don't charge for oil, but they get $20.00 flat fee to bring anything to the dump. I now make sure my dump trailer is FULL before I empty it.
I have a friend with a repair shop. He has used oil in a cube, and he let's me dump it in there and keep the containers. I think they pay him for the used oil when they pick it up.
64elkynss and LeoP like this.

66 Malibu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 2:08 PM
Tech Team

Garage

You gotta pay to play. You don't pay taxes where the landfill is operating, you get to pay at the gate. This makes sense. It costs money to recycle and run a landfill within the progressive's regulations. If they took everyone else's crap, they would have to charge their residents higher taxes to cover it. Not fair. Pay your fair share, bub!

'69 Malibu
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 2:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

This seems senseless to me. Drain crankcase oil has value as far as I know. Not like some materials that don't. Up in Washington where I lived, Tacoma dump had a hazzmat facility. If your stuff is trash recycle yard etc, they won't accept unless you are a resident of the city of Tacoma. But hazmat...they accept from any resident of Pierce county. Enlightened.
In California, it seems like if they sell oil, or drain oil, they have to take it. Parts houses, dealers, quik lube places etc. Lots of people just don't give a rat's and will just dump it. I remember my dad telling me that next door used to just dig a hole in the back yard and pour it in. "Out of sight; out of mind" Ignorance is bliss.
64elkynss likes this.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 2:41 PM
Senior Tech Team

Strokerboats makes a good point, filter it, and use it for other purposes. I live a ways from town, rural area, and I use my old filtered oil to keep the dust down on my own access "roads". The county still oils the dirt roads out here, so, no problem. Our recycle facility is just outside the town, in the edge of the county, so everyone can use the place. We have two auto parts stores here, NAPA and O'Reilly's, and both take home oil change amounts of used oil for free. They sell it to the county for really low prices, to use on some county roads after filtering.

Just use caution where you add oils to dirt, if you have a well, think about finding out where the well is under ground, so you don't contaminate it with the used oils into the ground. Add oils to dirt roads SPARINGLY. Common sense prevails.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 3:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ray View Post
Strokerboats makes a good point, filter it, and use it for other purposes. I live a ways from town, rural area, and I use my old filtered oil to keep the dust down on my own access "roads". The county still oils the dirt roads out here, so, no problem. Our recycle facility is just outside the town, in the edge of the county, so everyone can use the place. We have two auto parts stores here, NAPA and O'Reilly's, and both take home oil change amounts of used oil for free. They sell it to the county for really low prices, to use on some county roads after filtering.

Just use caution where you add oils to dirt, if you have a well, think about finding out where the well is under ground, so you don't contaminate it with the used oils into the ground. Add oils to dirt roads SPARINGLY. Common sense prevails.
50 years ago there were many dirt roads in my area and the towns oiled them in the summer but the environmental folks put an end to that...probably a good thing in the long run. I remember one of my "summer jobs" on the farm was taking a 5 gal. pail with many holes in the bottom and "oiling" our driveways. It really worked well!
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 3:39 PM
Tech Team

JWagner said”Now it seems that they want us that live in the county to put our oil in the trash. ”

And this is exactly what will happen, or oil throw out on any out of sight property.

Called “The Law of Unintended Consequences”
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 3:57 PM
Tech Team
Gary

Garage

The closest place for me to take oil is the local Tractor Supply Co. I see you have three of them in Tucson, try giving them a call. All TSC's around here take it in along with every automotive store, some have limits as I found out when I got rid of my waste oil burner and had about 20 gal. of oil to get rid of.

Gary

(oo_____oo)
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 4:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

In the late 40's and early 1950's, New Orleans used to contract out to companies to run the city dump, and have to pay those people to operate it. Along comes a guy that agrees to operate it at zero cost to the city. Then, bids come in offering to pay the city for the privilege of running the dump. The operator charged to drop off items, separated everything brought in, and sold distressed wood, metal, glass and paper on the scrap market, and also resold usable housing items such as doors and windows to people doing house rebuilding projects. They were actually running the dump in a business like manner. A dump doesn't need to be a money losing operation. It's just that local governments have been squandering opportunities such as this for as long as they have been in power. City run recycling centers have been refusing to take old car batteries. I have been selling old car batteries to scrappers for anywhere from four dollars to twelve dollars each over the years. Leave it up to the city not to realize an opportunity when it is staring them in the face.
64elkynss likes this.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 5:47 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

just dump it in the alley to keep the dust down. jim
Not2Fast likes this.

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in