11 Second SUVs...Pricey, but quick... - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

10Likes
  • 4 Post By Steve R
  • 1 Post By Pioneer4x4
  • 2 Post By 427L88
  • 1 Post By novadude
  • 2 Post By Steve R

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
11 Second SUVs...Pricey, but quick...

The cheapest one is around $90,000 and 'only' runs a 12 second quarter mile. The other three are pretty dang quick (one of them does 0-60 in 3.0 seconds @ close to 5,000 pounds).

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/lamb...mparison-test/

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 10:40 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: 11 Second SUVs...Pricey, but quick...

what about the jeep track hawk or durango hellcat or durango hellcat redeye?

Marc S

71 SS 454 ELCO
TKO600
Strange 12bolt w/4.10
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

The first one is slower than the Lamborghini (and very crude in comparison). The second two don't exist for customers off of a factory lot. Plus, I don't think they can hit the top speeds that these can. The Bentley hits 191 MPH.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 11:03 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971ss454Elco View Post
what about the jeep track hawk or durango hellcat or durango hellcat redeye?
Most Hellcat Chargers and Challengers will not run 11ís bone stock with your average driver. They are difficult to launch due to all of the buttons you need to push in a specific order. It can be done, but itís usually seasoned drivers and often takes a dozen or more runs. There are typically several Hellcats at the local track every Wednesday night, Iíve only seen very experienced drivers get them to run close to published times of low-11ís, but it takes time too. If you were to throw on some tires and reprogram the computer a trained monkey could run those times, but not in stock form. Same goes for the Demon, high-11ís to low-12ís are what they normally run their first time out, the best Iíve seen one run is 10.50ís. A friend just bought a new Challenger with the factory drag racing set up, I canít remember itís exact name, with a 392. It comes from the factory with line lock and drag radials, that runs 11.70ís all day long.

The cars that are truly easy to drive to their potential are Tesla Model 3ís, several have been turning out on Wednesday nights, they either run-11.70ís or 12.70ís depending on which program is installed in the car. Most of the Tesla owners have no experience, they just seem to work.

Steve R

Last edited by Steve R; Jul 15th, 19 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Z
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 6:49 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Most Hellcat Chargers and Challengers will not run 11ís bone stock with your average driver. They are difficult to launch due to all of the buttons you need to push in a specific order. It can be done, but itís usually seasoned drivers and often takes a dozen or more runs. There are typically several Hellcats at the local track every Wednesday night, Iíve only seen very experienced drivers get them to run close to published times of low-11ís, but it takes time too. If you were to throw on some tires and reprogram the computer a trained monkey could run those times, but not in stock form. Same goes for the Demon, high-11ís to low-12ís are what they normally run their first time out, the best Iíve seen one run is 10.50ís. A friend just bought a new Challenger with the factory drag racing set up, I canít remember itís exact name, with a 392. It comes from the factory with line lock and drag radials, that runs 11.70ís all day long.

The cars that are truly easy to drive to their potential are Tesla Model 3ís, several have been turning out on Wednesday nights, they either run-11.70ís or 12.70ís depending on which program is installed in the car. Most of the Tesla owners have no experience, they just seem to work.

Steve R
The difference between the Tesla and the TrackHawk, compared to everything else is 4wd. Double the traction makes up for a lot of experience.
I think you are referring to the Challenger 1320, basically a T/A with some more of the Demon's drag tricks. I hope to take my Scat Pack Shaker to the track if it every fails to rain on a night I can go. It should nip into the 12s, but with me trying to launch it, who knows. I would love to hit 110, I can't afford to beat on my tires.
Steve R likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 7:19 AM
Gold Member
Gene

filed under "fckng ridiculous"... as the song goes, "if I had a million dollars.".... its be for a real ride MaClaren or real Lambo or some such thing, not a opulent stupid toy.

Gimme a 1000hp SUV so I can roll it better. Fugly things they are to boot. And yes I drive a HIGHLANDER daily. SO I know ugly.

Now, what Ed just picked up , in purple, well, a nice sort of opulent toy! Looks nice too. Not a brick like ANY SUV. Heavy as one tho, hipo Mopars today aint "svelte" by any stretch.
davewho1 and Kirk's67SS like this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 4:36 PM
Tech Team

Put the hurt on a 392 HEMI Challanger and a Trailhawk last fall at the track with my 454 truck engine, was pretty ugly for them. I need to put a gopro in the back window this year to video racing these newer cars and trucks.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 4:53 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post

Steve R

I saw one running low 12s with no drama whatsoever the last time I was at the track. Looked the driver was out for a Sunday drive. Not knowing ANYTHING about Tesla, I was surprised and impressed.
Steve R likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 5:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kim

Garage

90, no, 96% of the people that are buying these "11" second rides have no clue how to drive them, they are merely trying to show their man card. There is most certainly a lot of finesse involved in getting these things to launch decently. Getting them into the 1.5 sec 60 ft bracket is easier said than done. AWD of coarse throws that logic in the dumpster. JMHO from what I've come up against on the street.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 19, 4:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
Now, what Ed just picked up , in purple, well, a nice sort of opulent toy! Looks nice too. Not a brick like ANY SUV. Heavy as one tho, hipo Mopars today aint "svelte" by any stretch.
It is not "subtle", plus I just drove it 400 miles since yesterday, I got 29 MPG on the way from east of Pittsburgh to Williamsport, and 27 on the way back.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 8:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dustin

My boss has a Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk and it's impressive. 707 HP, AWD that thing goes (and stops) like no other. Plus it has the ability to tow 7,200 lbs. It seems like it is a great balance of everything. The jeep is actually very drivable as a daily driver (how he uses it) but it's got plenty under the hood if you need it. The ride is a little rougher than a regular SUV (to be expected) but if I could afford one I'd buy one.

1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Triumph TR6
1972 Chevelle - 396, 4 Speed
1992 Acura Integra
2002 Yamaha R1
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
2012 Dodge Durango Citadel
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 11:30 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelteredv View Post
90, no, 96% of the people that are buying these "11" second rides have no clue how to drive them, they are merely trying to show their man card. There is most certainly a lot of finesse involved in getting these things to launch decently. Getting them into the 1.5 sec 60 ft bracket is easier said than done. AWD of coarse throws that logic in the dumpster. JMHO from what I've come up against on the street.
The same thing can be said about anyone their first time tomthe track with a car that has a fair amount of power. I ran Wednesday nights and weekend brackets for years and often help out at the track when they are short handed. I guarantee you that a significant percentage of muscle cars with a claimed 600 horsepower will not run fast enough to need a helmet. Iíve seen it countless times, and these are the owners confident their cars are running well or else they wouldnít be there. I give them credit for bringing their cars, most will pick up significantly with some tuning and some practice. Thatís how tracks work, itís a reality check for a majority of people the first few time out.

Steve R
blue_69_malibu and shelteredv like this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 8:42 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Having all that weight up in the air with all that power doesn't appeal to me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in