Shed kit - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

7Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 6:26 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

Garage
Shed kit

Anybody ever use one of these prefab shed kits? I have come to the conclusion i need to get rid of my old aluminium shed (old and busted), and replace it with something that isnt always wet inside (new hotness). It sort of bothers me that im storing my snowblower in my garage, as well as some other things that really should belong in a shed, but its just always so damp inside that thing. Its beyond what a tube of caulk can fix, and its really not secure to begin with. I really need to take a closer look, but i dont think i will be able to get a pre-built shed where it will need to go. Its a pretty tiny shed, like 8x8 or something. I could build it, but that will take away from car time, but not necessarily beer time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 7:07 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Re: Shed kit

Yah, I got one from Home Depot but that was 15 + years ago. Mine is a 12 x 24 and is 11 ft high. Also has a roll up door. Over here on the western side of the state we are pretty hilly so I had to build a 2 X 10 support structure for it to sit on. I also did not use the OSB plywood they included for the roof. I bought real seating insteqd. Was pretty easy to put together. Being able ft high I have enough height inside to have a 14 ft long shelf that is high enough (maybe 6 ft 6 inch) to walk underneath and gives lots of additional storage. Just getting ready to paint it for the 3rd time. If I were to do it again I would cover the exterior with vinyl siding. I also ran electricity to mine and have several lights and a couple outlets.
71350SS likes this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 8:21 AM
Tech Team
Kim

I have a composite Royal shed that is 15 years old.
Was easy to assemble and stays dry inside. Looks pretty much the same as the day I installed it.
Don't have to worry about wood rotting out or termites eating it.
Kim
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 8:38 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Mine has a couple windows that one can open in warmer weather and I installed a ridge vent during the initial assembly. The windows are good for letting light in so helps for seeing stuff during the day.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 9:22 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70montee View Post
Anybody ever use one of these prefab shed kits? I have come to the conclusion i need to get rid of my old aluminium shed (old and busted), and replace it with something that isnt always wet inside (new hotness). It sort of bothers me that im storing my snowblower in my garage, as well as some other things that really should belong in a shed, but its just always so damp inside that thing. Its beyond what a tube of caulk can fix, and its really not secure to begin with. I really need to take a closer look, but i dont think i will be able to get a pre-built shed where it will need to go. Its a pretty tiny shed, like 8x8 or something. I could build it, but that will take away from car time, but not necessarily beer time.
How about something like this?

https://www.samsclub.com/p/8x12-5-ou...lp_product_1_1
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 10:04 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Another good place to check is 84 Lumber.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 10:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

IMHO...I would just build it. (I like building stuff and it's better quality) 8x8 ?? Just frame out 8ea 8' high 4' wide walls, stack them outta the way until you're ready. Screw them together one afternoon, and put Smartside stranded paneling up (pre-primed), and create a few roof trusses, either "A" frame or a lean-to config, a couple bundles of shingles, and knock it out. Those pre-fab plastic and tin sheds (IMHO) are crap. Wood framing allows you to mount real shelving that can support weight. Whatever you decide you have to address the moisture problem. A window for sunlight and vents at each end help with airflow.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 10:09 AM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

My neighbor had one built by the Amish. Im guessing its around 8x11. He had an area set up for it, and they delivered it prebuilt on a truck and put it in place. I have no idea what it costs but it looks nice and most likely built well.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 10:28 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

I have one that is 19 years old from Sams Club. It is a all plastic no tool assembly one made like the Little Tikes stuff. I think it was "Thinking Outside" It has held up well including floating in a semi flood from a 4" rain storm WITH my lawn tractor in it. Water was over the hood of the tractor. The problem with it is, all the fasteners are cracking over the decades with no spares available. Each door (6 total) has 3 hinges, I am down to 2 on each door now, so the next one to crack will be a problem. Strong plastic floor, and even shelves, I think it is 7 x 14, something odd. I am seriously considering replacing it with one of the huge plastic ones at Sams Club.
They had a larger one in the store for $1,000.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 10:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Whatever you do or choose, the moisture wicks up right thru the floor so you need to consider what it is sitting on.Concrete with a vapor barrier or even pressure treated 3/4 plywood on a P/T frame will work but that's where the moisture starts.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 10:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

My cousin built my shed. 2x6 walls w/ studs on 24" centers, 3/12 pitch roof, 48" wide door. It is sitting on a concrete pad. Moisture really isn't an issue where I live. The shed is 20' x 28' (inside dimensions) and cost $5,000. Just for comparison, a Tuff Shed built with 2x4 walls @ 10' x 16' costs over $4,000 painted. I think you would be better off building it yourself - then you can include features that you want (not whatever features they shed companies offer). The pics below are of the shed prior to paint. I also included one of the shelving inside - I have lots of smaller stuff that goes on the shelves - the heavy stuff sits on the floor underneath the shelves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131003_161058.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	597894   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131003_161113.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	597896   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131021_174737.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	597898   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131021_174809.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	597900  

LeoP likes this.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 11:33 AM
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakkoWarner View Post
My cousin built my shed. 2x6 walls w/ studs on 24" centers, 3/12 pitch roof, 48" wide door. It is sitting on a concrete pad. Moisture really isn't an issue where I live. The shed is 20' x 28' (inside dimensions) and cost $5,000. Just for comparison, a Tuff Shed built with 2x4 walls @ 10' x 16' costs over $4,000 painted. I think you would be better off building it yourself - then you can include features that you want (not whatever features they shed companies offer). The pics below are of the shed prior to paint. I also included one of the shelving inside - I have lots of smaller stuff that goes on the shelves - the heavy stuff sits on the floor underneath the shelves.

You sir, are blurring the lines between shed and garage. Your "shed" is bigger than my "garage".
To the OP, the plastic sheds are fine. If all you want to do is store lawnmowers, snow blowers and other things that have no business being in the garage a small plastic shed will do the job. My father in law has a 10'x10' that looks the same as it did 5 years ago when we built it. Cheap easy to assemble, keeps everything dry and never rots. And if you do happen to break it, they're cheap to replace.
slowmo55ss likes this.

1969 Beaumont

1977 Bronco

The rest are boring responsible adult vehicles not worth mentioning.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 12:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

I wouldn't go wood. I don't want anything that time or critters can eat. Wood is much more versatile though, and easier to change later.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 12:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

As long as you keep wood painted and dry it lasts a lifetime. I have plastic furniture that is already sun faded and brittle from sunlight. I built this 15 years ago.. still looks like new. Since I put the entire thing together with screws, and all the pieces are labelled, I can take it apart and take it with me if I wish...(I added the 3 sided lean-to on the right last year... for more crap)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tool Shed.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	597914  
71350SS and LeoP like this.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 1:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

I have had really good luck and service from this Company https://www.keter.com/en/sheds-3 The Sheds I bought I got at Costco, and they came with great directions and have been in place for over 10yrs. You can find them at other places besides Costco....

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in