Street Car RWHP/TQ - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 11:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kim

Garage
Re: Street Car RWHP/TQ

I have a 720ish whp V that grandma can get in and drive, or I can go click off low 10.20's with ease. The dyno was used as a tuning tool only, quite necessary as we know. My '66 makes unknown hp, but I'd guess around mid 600's flywheel. The car will definitely keep your attention, and grandma ain't drivin' it. The car will likely never see a dyno, but would be interesting to see whp on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 11:32 AM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Sorry I went off-topic above. The "600" comment is the magic number that it would take to get me to consider a BB for the next upgrade from where I'm at now rather than the current considerations, which are also off-topic. (boost or more cubes... or both) Either way, it's getting expensive to go up from here!

As for the timeslip, I'll find out at Dragway 42 at the Northern Ohio show!
427L88 likes this.

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Last edited by Derek69SS; Jul 9th, 19 at 11:49 AM.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 11:50 AM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
That was one hell of a launch! I bet he had 12-15 MPH on you at the top end. What were the times?
Yep he was charging hard and had 18 MPH on me at the top end his 12.473 to my 12.864.
But I got him at the light my .235 reaction to his .685.
I turned a 1.728 60 foot and 8.0 1/8 mile to his 2.146 60 foot and his 8.3 1/8 mile et.
I only won by .0595 seconds but it is a win in a heads up drag race which is what we were doing.
First one to the end wins.

I do agree 600 wheel HP would be ridiculous in the right car.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 1:31 PM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff swisher View Post
Yep he was charging hard and had 18 MPH on me at the top end his 12.473 to my 12.864.
I turned a 1.728 60 foot and 8.0 1/8 mile to his 2.146 60 foot and his 8.3 1/8 mile et.
I only won by .0595 seconds but it is a win in a heads up drag race which is what we were doing.
First one to the end wins.

I do agree 600 wheel HP would be ridiculous in the right car.
I think there are 2 lessons here: A) you were a better driver with reaction time of almost 1/2 second and you may have shifted better during pass; B) second your car was better suited for what you were doing via the 60 foot. I think that a lot of times a bad 60 foot can just continue through the whole process. So practice and make sure your car is set up for what you are trying to do or at least be in ball park. These guys show up with the powerful cars with street tires and can't launch or have to back off on the throttle then go back on etc. Plus I think the hp is only part of the equation and low set of gears (assuming you have traction) can do wonders for the et.
jeff swisher likes this.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 1:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff swisher View Post
Was this his first time at the track? I wouldn't expect him to stay that slow for long if he has any desire to practice and get better.

-
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 4:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek69SS View Post
Was this his first time at the track? I wouldn't expect him to stay that slow for long if he has any desire to practice and get better.
SOunds like it may be his only since he sold the car after losing

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 5:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Ha, I missed that part.

-
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 5:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

He had been many times to the track racing. I asked him 3 weeks before the race if he could drive and I have been in the car with him during a quick drive and he does well.
That light thing is an art.. my wife is always in the .0?? area for reaction times.

That Mustang had to have the transmission fixed under warranty. and then a week after that racing he discovered rear wheel bearings were out. They were making some bad wobbling issues. Independent rear suspension.

Time to sell it.. his best ET was 12.2.
His dad just purchased an early Nova with a 6.0 LQ9 bored out with LS3 pistons and LS3 heads and a smallish cam and carburetor. 373 gears and it was clicking off 12.0 et's with one of the rear jets laying in the holley fuel bowl.

He raced his dad and his dad cleaned his clock time after time.. so that led to the sell also.

I drove the Mustang and drove it hard myself and the hole shot was just not there. The power once you got it to 4000+ RPM was amazing for a 5.0 and you better be quick on the shifter with that 6 speed standard with 3.73 rear gears.

I told him for 3 weeks I was going to kill him out of the hole and he would have to play catch up.
Happened just like i told him.

I did cheat though I pulled my RPM intake and HEI off and stuck on my tunnel-ram and single point distributor and added my Coan 4500 stall and my 4.56 gears with a spool and some hand me down Nitto 555R tires 275-60-15 on 5.5" wide steel Ford truck wheels.
Like said it is all about the combo.

OH The wife and I drove over 100 miles round trip in the car to the track and back home.. Nice way to spend a Friday night. Not so much a 100+ degree Friday day though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	57 good friday 002.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	353.6 KB
ID:	597812  
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 8:14 AM
Tech Team

Question was about a street car, it has evolved, as usual, to many other things!

225-250 is plenty for a fun, street car, IMHO👍
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 9:44 AM
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanniziomas View Post
Question was about a street car, it has evolved, as usual, to many other things!

225-250 is plenty for a fun, street car, IMHO👍
Street car means different things to different people. My street car runs single digits in the 1/4 mile.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" Billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal S/S rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel rockers, Cloyes Timing Set, 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050", .704" lift, Dart single plane, Dominator EFI, Stef's #1705R pan, F2 Procharger on E85
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 11:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanniziomas View Post
225-250 is plenty for a fun, street car, IMHO
I made 275rwhp from a $300 junkyard 5.3L all stock except intake and headers.

That was pretty boring IMHO, even with the manual transmission. It might have been OK for a daily-driver or something on hard 15" radial T/As, but not any fun for a "toy" that gets beat on with sticky-ish tires. It wouldn't even scratch 2nd shifting off the limiter on 315 Rivals. The gas mileage was fantastic though.
jeff swisher likes this.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in