Rear Engine Corvette - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 2:55 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Lightbulb Re: Rear Engine Corvette

Visit

---- GM AUTHORITY DOT COM ----

to keep up on the current-day & upcoming
plans, decisions & realities at GM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 11:46 AM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage
Re: Rear Engine Corvette

The transmission is a Porsche sourced PDK dual clutch automatic.
IMO, they will sell the hell out of them for the first year or so. After that, we’ll see.
There is also a lot of chatter about how GM has completely locked down the ECM to eliminate any aftermarket tuning. This may not be just for Corvettes but for all GM products going forward.
But knowing the aftermarket, it should take them about 0.4 seconds to figure a workaround.
I also saw a spy shot of the “Digital Dash”. WTF, no round gauges?

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 11:51 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72soft-top View Post
Paddle shifters are just not the same.
AMEN on that. My wife's Lexus has paddles and her cousin drives a car that also has them. In both cases the amusement value of the paddles lasted me MAYBE 20 minutes. Same for the "manual" stick shift mode on my wife's car. Push forward... up a gear. Pull backward ...down a gear WOW that was a really exciting driving experience. After that the manual mode stick and the paddles were IMHO just another gadget. In F-1 or similar events I certainly can see paddles but in a street driving situation....just a cute gadget for the wanna be racer / poser types.

As to the mid engine Corvette...whatever it turns out to be as far as styling and features brace yourselves guys. Here come more of the gushing, lavish praise articles in the automotive media. If every new Corvette generation was as dramatic an improvement over the prior generation as the automotive press made it out to be by now a new Corvette should be capable of orbiting the earth or maybe even traveling into lunar orbit as well as being a daily driver 5 days a week. C9, when and if it comes out, ....Mars here we come.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 12:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I remember seeing the new Mustang GT500 only comes in an automatic.

Rowing gears will be left to the Miata's and Subaru's, at least for now.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 12:41 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

As for paddle shifters (and manual mode on an automatic in general), they vary greatly. Don't knock a performance car with them until you drive it, or base judgement from other cars you have driven with them. I have had several cars with manual mode. The "normal" ones are novelties, and maybe handy to force downshifts on long hills, or to prevent upshifts.
BUT, the ones in my 2006 and 2015 Charger R/Ts were excellent, as well as my new 2018 Challenger 392. The manual mode in my 2005 SLK350 was very nice as well. I have not been in a performance GM with manual mode, but the Cadillac SRX's and XT5 we have owned are nice, it isn't remotely like the RWD HEMI Mopars. I have also owned and driven several KIA with it, they were "eh, better than the GMs" but still nothing really like what I would want.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 1:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

C8 is rumored to start around $73k.
Many new cars, including the Challenger are in that price range and higher.
The Corvette is and always has been a niche car.
David Bates likes this.

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.315 60'
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 1:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Corvette lost me years ago, too many other cars I would rather have for the money. The designs of the Corvette are ugly and the car is uncomfortable and cheaply made. GM really blew it with the Camaro.
HKalin likes this.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 5:40 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
GM really blew it with the Camaro.
??????? What have they done with the Camaro. I never thought once about buying a Camaro but at times I think a 2014 generation Vette m-i-g-h-t be OK. The styling of the newest Vettes after 2014 is a bit over the top for this guy. They look OK to my eye when the color is right but there are very few colors that soften my opinion that the styling of this last generation is a bit "much". Styling is a matter of opinion and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Seems I always come back to the quality issue however. GM screwed me more than once (shame on me) and I really don't wanna get hosed again. There are some nice cars out there that will cost me more than a used 2014 Corvette but they are cars with which I have no quality concerns whatsoever.
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 19, 9:43 PM
Gold Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Chevele View Post
I remember in '73 when the Auto shop teacher would try to beat into our heads the the Wankel Rotary engine was the way of the future. Boy was he wrong, only car to use it was the RX-7 and 8. The only reason Mazda stopped using it was that it would not meet emissions anymore.
Mazda RX2, RX3, RX4, Cosmo, REPU, an intercity bus, etc.
ROTARY POWER: All of Mazda's Rotary Engine Vehicles | BestRide

NSU Ro 80 and Sprint

Citroen GS Birotor. A car so horrible Citroen recalled them all, and scrapped 'em. Very few built, very few survived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_GS

DKW, Screwslooski, and Norton had rotary motorcycles
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_RE5
https://www.liveabout.com/rotary-eng...rcycles-743316

OMC and Arctic Cat had rotary snowmobiles
Wankel Rotary Engines | American Snowmobiler Magazine

^^ Those are all "production" vehicles. The list of prototypes is staggering, including Rolls Royce with a diesel version for Tanks.

There was also a model-aircraft (radio control--small) rotary in production.

There's a Mazda 12A rotary parked in my barn right now. Four-barrel carb! I think it's from a late-70s or early '80s RX7 based on having one distributor and a thermal reactor instead of a catalyst. I'd like to find an REPU in adequate condition, or an RX7, to stuff it into.

Did you SEARCH BEFORE POSTING a new thread?
Did you post in the CORRECT FORUM?
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 9:03 AM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Chevelle View Post
Pricing is in the 100K+ realm.

Starting July 17 2019, Corvette has severed its ties with the vast majority of American "car guys", losing any relevance with its storied past. Corvettes were still putting European Mega$$Machinery in the rear view, but they've lost those bragging rights...apples to apples now.

It's now firmly in the low-volume lane, doubling its MSRP.

Should have kept the Corvette name, current platform, evolution & assembly line running, and christened this new mid-engine more appropriately, like Chaparral. As-is, it's just a bridge too far from a Camaro to this vehicle.
Pricing hasn't been announced yet, but I don't believe the "base" versions will be anywhere near that expensive.

GM doesn't seem to think this generation will be low-volume either, considering they're adding a 2nd shift and 40% more employees.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ction-factory/

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's

-
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 9:32 AM
Gold Founding Member
Jeff

If you've priced new cars lately, 80K for a vette is a bargain.

I saw a new Yukon at costo the other day for 79K. I'm getting old..

Got Chevelles?
Jeff Carpenter

Team Chevelle Gold #61
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 1:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Prices of cars and trucks have by far outpaced the average income earner.
HKalin likes this.

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.315 60'
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 8:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Chevele View Post
I remember in '73 when the Auto shop teacher would try to beat into our heads the the Wankel Rotary engine was the way of the future. Boy was he wrong, only car to use it was the RX-7 and 8. The only reason Mazda stopped using it was that it would not meet emissions anymore.
Mazda RX2, RX3, RX4, Cosmo, REPU, an intercity bus, etc.
ROTARY POWER: All of Mazda's Rotary Engine Vehicles | BestRide

NSU Ro 80 and Sprint

Citroen GS Birotor. A car so horrible Citroen recalled them all, and scrapped 'em. Very few built, very few survived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_GS

DKW, Screwslooski, and Norton had rotary motorcycles
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_RE5
https://www.liveabout.com/rotary-eng...rcycles-743316

OMC and Arctic Cat had rotary snowmobiles
Wankel Rotary Engines | American Snowmobiler Magazine

^^ Those are all "production" vehicles. The list of prototypes is staggering, including Rolls Royce with a diesel version for Tanks.

There was also a model-aircraft (radio control--small) rotary in production.

There's a Mazda 12A rotary parked in my barn right now. Four-barrel carb! I think it's from a late-70s or early '80s RX7 based on having one distributor and a thermal reactor instead of a catalyst. I'd like to find an REPU in adequate condition, or an RX7, to stuff it into.
There were rotary versions of the Caterham, nicknamed Rotus (rotary Lotus). They also put Hyabusas in some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 11:35 PM
Levon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman View Post
??????? What have they done with the Camaro. .

2023 last year of confirmed production. Another hiatus???

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White (Bone Stock)
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed. SOLD
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting

1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis Greens, Ab. Canada

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 9:14 PM
Gold Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevonH View Post
2023 last year of confirmed production. Another hiatus???
Another yawn.

Too expensive, not interested, goodbye.

The real problem is that I'm not bald enough for a 'Vette. Yet. Another ten years, and I'll be looking for a used one.

Did you SEARCH BEFORE POSTING a new thread?
Did you post in the CORRECT FORUM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in