Not a Fun Chevelle Day - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 19, 9:53 PM
Tech Team
Harry

Re: Not a Fun Chevelle Day

I have 4 cars and I do not drive that much. I used to spend a fortune on batteries. About 7 years ago, I setup 2 double deltran trickle chargers with extensions into each car bay. Every time I finish with a car, I add the trickle charger back on. I have not bought a battery since I set this up. It really has saved me a lot of money. I highly recommend it.

Harry
1970 Chevelle SS396 (408), Fathom Blue,
Original Block & Forged Crank, KB Pistons, Edelbrock 6045 Heads,Comp Cam 292H, March Serpentine, RPM AirGap,750HP,100hp Nitrous
A/F Wideband,Tremec TKO 600, 12 bolt,
30 spline Moser Axles, Richmond 3:73's, Hotchkis control arms, swaybars, springs, Wilwood 12" rotors D/S, 4 piston calipers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 11:48 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrad View Post
Batteries are the bane of my existence. The riding lawn mower, wife's car, my Excursion, etc. If I don't drive it everyday it seems to go bad.
OH MAN I FEEL FOR YOU !!!!

My inventory
Truck (2 batteries)
Tahoe
commuter car
Sanger V210 boat(2 Batteries)
Travel trailer(2more batteries)
1985 Toyota 4x4
1972 Chevelle
2003 Harley Davidson FXDXT

I feel like I can never make it through a complete year with out need a battery or 2 and I'm a religious battery tender user .
badrad likes this.

72 Malibu Family Fun Car
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 12:16 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

I just recently walked out to find my Monte Carlo with a dead battery with no real explanation as to why. Took it to work and hooked it up to our really fancy battery charger/analyzer/ thing and force it to charge. Let it sit overnight, came back to it the next morning and the machine basically said it was junk and to throw it away. i have never had a battery just go bad and discharge itself like that. Good news is, it happened at my house, and now the car starts amazingly fast. 3 vehicles, 2 quads, and a golf cart, and i easily do one battery a year.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 12:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

This just happened to me a few months ago.

Battery perfectly fine one day. Next day - *poof* dead. Charged it up, within a day it drew itself back down. I thought I had a parasitic leak or something. Nope, battery was just toast and needed to be replaced.

Granted, it was 8 years old, but yeah, just died pretty much instantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70montee View Post
I just recently walked out to find my Monte Carlo with a dead battery with no real explanation as to why. Took it to work and hooked it up to our really fancy battery charger/analyzer/ thing and force it to charge. Let it sit overnight, came back to it the next morning and the machine basically said it was junk and to throw it away. i have never had a battery just go bad and discharge itself like that. Good news is, it happened at my house, and now the car starts amazingly fast. 3 vehicles, 2 quads, and a golf cart, and i easily do one battery a year.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 2004r, 4.10
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 1:07 PM
Team Member
Lyle

As bad as it is when one of my cars won't start, it's worse when it's my wife's Impala.
So... whenever one of the cars needs a battery, I get a new one for her car and move
her old one to whichever wagon needs it. I only remember her car being towed once,
when the heater hose elbows exploded. Limiting her car-induced drama: priceless.
Pioneer4x4 likes this.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 10:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

Garage

And to make things even worse now that Obama has closed all of the lead mines a cheapo Walmart battery is $140 bucks!

https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
href="http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/gregs_photo/" target="_blank">http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/gregs_photo/
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
rkd
Senior Tech Team
Ron

Chevelle ran great this week with its new battery!

Went to work, drove to the parts store. It seems happy again!

66 Malibu Coupe, home rebuilt 350. Took me 39 years to get her!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 10:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmarsh View Post
As bad as it is when one of my cars won't start, it's worse when it's my wife's Impala.
So... whenever one of the cars needs a battery, I get a new one for her car and move
her old one to whichever wagon needs it. I only remember her car being towed once,
when the heater hose elbows exploded. Limiting her car-induced drama: priceless.
This is a very smart man

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, 12 bolt, Marina Blue with black interior
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 5:25 AM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd66k20 View Post
Seems I just buy a new battery every 5 years and avoid all the breakdowns and trickle chargers which I do not trust. When I'm finished for the day with the 66, I always remove the positive battery cable. I sleep better.
I think like you but have a battery disconnect on the negative post of the Chevelle battery.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15
[img]

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 10:34 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by von View Post
I think like you but have a battery disconnect on the negative post of the Chevelle battery.
Wonder which is better to disconnect, pos or neg? Is there any rhyme or reason as to which one?

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 10:55 AM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Wonder which is better to disconnect, pos or neg? Is there any rhyme or reason as to which one?
I disconnect my battery manually when the car will sit for awhile and always disconnect the ground. No arc if I bump the sheetmetal. Not sure if there are technical reasons one way or another, it just seems safer.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 1:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

Garage

I'm not sure why but solar power is way better for the life of a battery I use them for my camper and tractors I have panels on the top of the barn that runs down the wall to several clamps that I hook up to whatever is sitting.
I commonly get about 8 years from batteries on the solar panels.

On my Chevelle and motorcycles, I do like car lots do and run them long enough to get to temp once a week because I may use any one of them.

href="http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/gregs_photo/" target="_blank">http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/gregs_photo/
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 6:04 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Quote:
Every instruction I've seen says to disconnect negative. I've read one reason is that it supposedly doesn't make a spark. I'm not sure if that's always true if there's any load on it.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15
[img]

post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 19, 1:07 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

Garage

Electrons flow from negative to positive the negative connection is the source and the positive is the destination.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in