This debate came up today... What year is the best looking? - Page 6 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

126Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #76 of 101 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 19, 10:11 AM

Re: This debate came up today... What year is the best looking?

I have to agree with Dean. I like the twin headlights on the '70, but I don't like the rear bumper and square taillights. One of the Fast and Furious movies had Rock driving a blue '70 with '71/'72 taillights and it looked great! I've had a '69 and now have a '71 and I like the '71 the best, but... I have thought about putting '70 twin headlights on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 101 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 19, 11:09 AM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoengineer_ View Post
If someone is going to convince me how good looking the 68 and 69's are, someone needs to explain what's going on here. (Note circled areas). Were these cars supposed to all have the trim in these spots? Did most cars have the trim and most people removed it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by augy View Post
Not sure about the 1969 cars since I've never owned one..

And yes, many people leave some or all of it off when repainting a car. That's where the confusion starts.
In 69, the Malibu trim level did have it, and the 300s and the SS396 cars did not have it.

I removed it from my Malibu when I painted it. Looks better without IMHO.
shovelrick likes this.

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #78 of 101 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 19, 11:34 AM
Tech Team

Don't even have my Chevelle anymore, but the 69 is my fav. Back in 69, GM was on strike. I went to the dealer, and all they had was the orange one. Being an idiot, I turned it down because I didn't like orange. Years later, after I got my hands on a 69 convertible, I learned that ONLY the SS was painted orange at the factory. So, I screwed up, but who knew? Live and learn. The 69 had a rear end treatment that I love and I'm not crazy about the "tail lights in the bumper" look of the post 69s. Didn't like the '68 either. Just my opinion, but you guys are correct; everyone has an opinion.

Walt Northrup
69 Convertible
post #79 of 101 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 19, 2:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Headlights, taillights, trim, dash all window dressing like jewelry. striped down like a two piece bathing suit, 66-67 has the best body lines. 68-72 to much like the other gm A body

post #80 of 101 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 19, 2:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude View Post
Slow in stock form, but if you've ever driven a 73-77, they do drive a lot nicer than the 64-72 cars.
I learned to drive in a 1975 Impala, so to me those Chevelles were small. Heck my mom's 1986 Caprice seemed small. I loved the quality and feel and everything about that 1975, other than rust, and smogged up 2bbl 350, but it ran fine, even when junked, heck the interior was perfect.
So give me all of that, in a 2 door Chevelle Laguna, and I'd be happy.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #81 of 101 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 12:52 AM
Senior Tech Team

There are two real sharp EC on CL right now IE LA or San Diego cant remember. 74 and 75 I think. They are a good looking car if you can find one thats not hammered out and stil affordable.
The 80s era EC drive nice also legroom is good.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #82 of 101 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 10:22 AM
Tech Team
David

This really should have been done as a poll, so there could be a clear winner. First off, I would say that the best looking year is whatever year I am behind the wheel of at any time. But if I had to choose one year? I'm going to go against the flow and say 1973! Truly a masterpiece of automotive design. Those bulging fenders and open, almost flared wheel wells, non opening rear quarter windows, the slope of the rear deck with those round taillights, almost a fastback look to the roof slope, easy egress rotating bucket seats, yup, it's '73 for me. Now I know they don't get any love because of the low compression smog motors, 10 bolt corporate rear ends and the ugly as hell 5 MPH bumpers but all of those things are easily remedied. Any high performance part that fits the earlier motors will fit the 73. A 12 bolt axle swaps right in. And a weekend with a cut off saw and a welder will fix the look of those bumpers or if you're talented enough, delete the bumpers all together and fabricate front and rear roll pans.
Now this isn't my car, although it's for sale, but tell me this isn't a beautiful car?

later, dozer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	596820   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	596826   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1602.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	596828   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1603.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	596830  

"Look Stock and carry a Big Block"
Raube Wan
post #83 of 101 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 3:56 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerhand View Post
This really should have been done as a poll, so there could be a clear winner.
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/11-...reability.html
Tricia likes this.

Mencken: “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
post #84 of 101 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 4:39 PM
Tech Team
David

Yeah thanks but a 2YO poll with multiple choices and nothing past '72. I mean what if '70 was actually most peoples second choice? Thanks again but I stand by my statement.

later, dozer

"Look Stock and carry a Big Block"
Raube Wan
post #85 of 101 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 5:45 PM
Tech Team

Garage

Had a Pontiac Sports Lemans years ago.1973. Was just better looking than the chevelle of that year.

post #86 of 101 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 5:49 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerhand View Post
Yeah thanks but a 2YO poll with multiple choices and nothing past '72. I mean what if '70 was actually most peoples second choice? Thanks again but I stand by my statement.

later, dozer
I seriously doubt that it's changed much but you can always post a new poll and see.

post #87 of 101 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 5:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySS396 View Post
‘70 SS has the highest value, 454 or not
Are we talking about which one has the most value here or about which one do you guys prefer the most? Let's not forget that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and sometimes, the one preferred may not necessarily be the most valuable.

Claude.
shovelrick likes this.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #88 of 101 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 6:14 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

What year is the best looking? was the debate somewhere

The poll was your top 3 desirable SS models so that eliminates a lot of non ss models.

Most valuable wasn't mentioned.

post #89 of 101 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 6:39 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
What year is the best looking? was the debate somewhere

The poll was your top 3 desirable SS models so that eliminates a lot of non ss models.

Most valuable wasn't mentioned.
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/60-...ost-money.html

Can't make some guys happy unless they get the result they want.
Dean likes this.

Mencken: “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
post #90 of 101 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 8:08 PM
Tech Team
Phil

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_66SS View Post
66, 70 has highest value only because of 454.
Uhh,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in