My New Toy - 2018 Challenger Shaker 392 - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 3:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage
Re: My New Toy - 2018 Challenger Shaker 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Congrats to both Ed and Brian. Each can answer is you care to. Are these cars to be daily drivers? Brian I know yours is a manual trans car, Ed what about yours?
Ed wouldn't worry about doing anything to the Elco. Im sure it is OK as is or you wouldnt have it!!!
Yes, it will be my Pittsburgh winter beater. (no way the El Camino is seeing salt! I try very hard to avoid wet, but really, I don't care about rain or snow, but never salt) I got it lightly used (16K miles) for a good bit under $40K (hard to tell exactly dealing with trades which I thought I got a very fair price on). MSRP was over $55K. If I bought a brand new V6 Challenger for $37K and drove it all year nobody would blink an eye, right?
Plus, I now work from home well over Ĺ the time, so that helps, and we typically take my wife's car when we do something with more than the 2 of us.
Oh, mine is the 8sp auto. I had no preference over transmission actually, I couldn't make up my mind, so I chose on the other features. And you get more with the auto as well, like the tech package on a stick doesn't include the auto cruise stuff... (which I really like on open highway, even in town it is nice)

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 4:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

I made the salesmen laugh (2 nice guys were handling the deal) when I told them "I don't buy boring/normal/slow cars, and I don't buy cars from a company based in a country that attacked us.
Now in the past I have really cheated on that with a Chrysler Crossfire and a Mercedes SLK350, both 100% german, but even the SLK's official manufacturer wasn't Mercedes, it was "Daimler Chrysler" on the door jamb sticker. And I have owned 2 KIAs, and my dad (now 81) that originally got the El Camino, just bought a KIA Soul Turbo! (It is easy for my parents to get in and out of, and easy too see and park) It was his first import ever, and Korea (South) was always on our side.
But speaking of "domestic brands" almost all of my recent Chrysler/GM vehicles were actually assembled elsewhere (mainly Canada, but I had SRX and PT Cruiser (Mexico) as well. Anyway, I'm still in the honeymoon period and we'll see how much my cheeks hurt after smiling for a week or 2. I've already put about 4 hours in it so far!
shovelrick likes this.

ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 4:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Here is my tips to locating buying a used car.
I spent about 12 hours looking first for 6.4 Chargers (Scat Pack or Daytona) then got sucked into Challengers.

1. make a spreadsheet , put every car you look at on it, with the url to the actual dealer page with it, AND a link to the actual window sticker for it (put those links in so you can go back quickly and double check). Include color, distance, miles, price,VIN, and every option/package you care about.
2. look at the actual window sticker for every car, dealers have no clue what they are selling sometimes, they may intentionally, or accidentally state things wrong about the car. For a Dodge, use this URL (it is not my actual car but one I looked at
https://www.dodge.com/hostd/windowst...CDZFJ3GH263888
then just paste the vin of what you are looking at over the one in that link.
3. go to autoblog.com and "build" the used car you are looking for, and you can see what all was available each year, and what it cost. It isn't perfect, but it is real nice.
4. I used Autotrader.com, Cars.com, Carguru.com, and Dodge.com (certified pre-owned) to search for cars and found many cars that were not on all of them, some only on 1 site or 2.
5. Search further out than you are willing to drive, you never know, and you will get a better idea what real pricing is, and also, you may find 2 close to each other making a long trip worthwhile.
6. Another reason to look far also because, face it, we are getting these because we enjoy driving them. The long drive home is a bonus, not a negative!
shovelrick likes this.

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 4:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

The SS Camaro will be my wife’s new toy. She puts around 2k miles per year weather permitting. Her previous toy was a 2013 CTS-V coupe. The V was a sexy car, but the sunroof didn’t open and it was an auto. She missed that Mustang GT vert with 5 speed in the worst way. Sold the V to my BIL. The Camaro has 1400 miles and we got it for $39k. Here’s the V we sold. Had 4K miles on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3C8AB54C-0697-4F4E-A8D7-F8CE2019952C_1561407753291.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	596462  
Pioneer4x4 likes this.

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 4:25 PM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
I love the challengers they look great. A few years ago my dad was looking at CTS-V and the new Chevy SS. He got a 2015 SS black. Awesome car it hauls butt and is super comfortable. That charger is a great looking car and I love plum crazy!

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 19, 4:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72soft-top View Post
The SS Camaro will be my wifeís new toy. She puts around 2k miles per year weather permitting. Her previous toy was a 2013 CTS-V coupe. The V was a sexy car, but the sunroof didnít open and it was an auto. She missed that Mustang GT vert with 5 speed in the worst way. Sold the V to my BIL. The Camaro has 1400 miles and we got it for $39k. Hereís the V we sold. Had 4K miles on it.
The only thing better than a CTS-V Coupe is a CTS-V Wagon with a stick! I have only seen a couple of those, and they just seem about as cool as it gets.
ChevelleFan70 and Chris27 like this.

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 19, 4:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

This is what I traded in on the Challenger. With a picture at the same place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gone.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	371.9 KB
ID:	596512   Click image for larger version

Name:	1st.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	596514  

post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 19, 7:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Beautiful car Ed, Dodge did a great job bringing that car back

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 19, 7:43 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Nice ride! I dig they way they look, unlike some other "modern muscle".

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 19, 8:13 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
The official model name is "Dodge Challenger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker" in Plum Crazy
I just picked this up on Saturday, it is amazing. I will be leaving the El Camino as is for quite a while, and only completing projects, nothing new/expensive!
It has the Dynamics Package with ridiculous brakes and tires, not looking forward to replacing those at all. I hope to take it to local track (Keystone) and try it with some tame launches (no burnouts), hopefully sub 13, 110ish, but probably right around there.
I went from a B5 blue 2015 Charger R/T with the Road and Track package with Super Track Pack toys, so other than the obvious differences, the driving experience is familiar to me with all the gazillion things to play with inside.
Also that picture is at "Retro Dog" north of Akron, OH, near Cuyahoga Falls. Best dang Hot Dog/Burger/Shake Shop anywhere on the planet, with car hop service. I live 2+ hours away, and have been there maybe 7 times.

As for the picture, yes, I lucked out and would have scuffed the air dam if that curb was higher.
Congrats! Nice Ride! I have a 2016 R/T Plus myself with the Blacktop & Super Track Pack Packages. 5.7/6-Speed/3.90 Rear.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20181006_150919.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	596516  
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 19, 8:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Here is a view on the test drive. I am also a sucker for funky hoods (my previous favorite view out the windshield was on my old Shelby Charger Turbos) , and the Shaker is probably the ultimate. It wiggles on start, bounces a smidge on dips on the highway and can rock to the right a fair bit under torque. And for the non Mopar guys, it is functional, it feeds air to the airbox then through the filter, then to the throttle body, I would assume zero "pressure/forced" but still fresh air. Also has a fresh air inlet to the airbox through the 2nd light on the driver's side, like the Hellcat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	view.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	378.4 KB
ID:	596518  
mr 4 speed likes this.

post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 19, 8:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

The Challenger R/T Scat Pak 1320 is interesting,supposed to run high 11's and comes stock with a trans brake. But no shaker. I dig the shaker

post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 19, 6:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

I sincerely hope you have no problems with it. I bought a new 2014 SRT392 and loved driving it. But after six months and countless electrical and mechanical issues I got rid of it. I ordered the car equipped with every option except for the sunroof. It was a miserable experience, but I miss it terribly. Fast and comfortable when it ran.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 19, 2:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by any4xx View Post
I sincerely hope you have no problems with it. I bought a new 2014 SRT392 and loved driving it. But after six months and countless electrical and mechanical issues I got rid of it. I ordered the car equipped with every option except for the sunroof. It was a miserable experience, but I miss it terribly. Fast and comfortable when it ran.
Me too, I have no concerns though. I have mainly owned Chryslers with some GMs thrown in, and I have never had a bad car. I had a 2006 Charger R/T, I traded it on a Crossfire at 90,000 miles, Then I ended up getting a 2015 Charger R/T Road and Track in 2017 and had it 2 years with no problems. Plus 2 PT Cruisers (1 a turbo convertible), 3 minivans (the 2002 Limited was the best vehicle I ever owned) an Intrepid, LHS, LeBaron Turbo Couple, Lancer turbo sedan, 2 Shelby Charger Turbos, 3 Rampages (1 converted to Shelby Charger Turbo), and my dad had 2 slant 6 Dodge Vans. So far, the only times I got stranded were tire or fuel related, and most of those were also stupidity related, and that is going back to 1980.
BUT there is 1 thing of concern on my new Challenger. The front rotors are made out of gold plated unicorn hair or something, on sale, they are $700 each, that is for 1, not 2, per corner, apiece, uno, solo, ein, whatever, not price per crate full.
They are the 15.4" 6 piston Brembo setup same as the Hellcat.

post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 19, 3:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
The Challenger R/T Scat Pak 1320 is interesting,supposed to run high 11's and comes stock with a trans brake. But no shaker. I dig the shaker
Oh, I know, they are cool as hell. Line lock as well. And drag suspension, passenger seat and rear seats and extra radio speakers are all options ($1 each). If any of you Pittsburghers are reading this, my car sounds like a beast in the Squirrel Hill Tunnel. I have been driving it SO tame, using the adaptive cruise and everything, but man, tunnels will be the end of me.
mr 4 speed likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in