HEI Coil Wire Color Difference... - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By VinceS427bb

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 19, 9:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
HEI Coil Wire Color Difference...

I have always wondered what the difference is between the HEI coils that have red/yellow wires, and the ones that have red/white wires. Several years ago one of my cousins had a Cadillac that wouldn't start. Through the course of diagnosing it, I determined that the coil was bad. His had the red/white wires. I had one in my trunk that had the red/yellow wires on it. I installed it and it started right up (I used what I had, because he didn't have any money and it enabled him to get to work).

I didn't hear back from him, so I presume that it kept working. So, what is the difference between the two??

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 1:22 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Re: HEI Coil Wire Color Difference...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakkoWarner View Post
I have always wondered what the difference is between the HEI coils that have red/yellow wires, and the ones that have red/white wires. Several years ago one of my cousins had a Cadillac that wouldn't start. Through the course of diagnosing it, I determined that the coil was bad. His had the red/white wires. I had one in my trunk that had the red/yellow wires on it. I installed it and it started right up (I used what I had, because he didn't have any money and it enabled him to get to work).

I didn't hear back from him, so I presume that it kept working. So, what is the difference between the two??
see tech reference = scroll way down
https://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref5.html
Coil interchangeability

The coil-in-cap ignition coils need to be matched to the pickup coil, and the pickup coil must be matched to the engine family. There are two color-coded ignition coils, and three color-coded pickup coils. (Note that external ignition coils are not color coded to the pickup coil.) One coil-in-cap ignition coil uses red and yellow wires; the other uses red and white wires. They are functionally identical except the magnetic (not electrical) polarity is opposite. One pickup coil uses either a yellow tyrap or a yellow plastic connector body on the wires that attach to the module. Another pickup coil uses either a blue tyrap or black plastic connector body, and the third pickup coil uses a clear tyrap or a clear plastic connector body. (Some aftermarket manufacturers will use no connector body instead of a clear one.) The yellow coil has opposite magnetic polarity from the blue/black, and clear pickup coils.

Delco discovered that magnetic interference from the starter/battery cable could trigger “false” sparks at low RPM—especially during cranking. Pickup coils are selected based on engine family. Ignition coils are then selected based on which pickup coil was selected.
chart did not copy & paste too well...
Table 1. Pickup Coil and Coil-in-cap Ignition Coil Selection for Traditional V-8 Engines
Engine
Pickup Coil
color code
Ignition Coil
color code
Buick
Blue/Black
Red and White
Cadillac
Yellow
Red and Yellow
Chevrolet
Yellow
Red and Yellow
Oldsmobile except Toro
Blue/Black
Red and White
Oldsmobile Toronado
Yellow
Red and Yellow
Pontiac
Clear
Red and White

So, for the “traditional” V-8 engines, Chevrolet, Cadillac, and Olds Toronado use the yellow-coded pickup coil, and because they use the yellow pickup coil, they use the red and yellow ignition coil. Put another way, the yellow coils are a matched set. Buick, and Oldsmobile except Toronado, use the blue/black pickup coil, and therefore use the red and white ignition coil. Pontiac uses the clear coded pickup coil. It is wound the same way as the blue/black coil, but has longer leads to physically fit in the Pontiac version of the HEI distributor. Therefore it, too, uses the red and white ignition coil. Many parts catalogs indicate the wrong pickup and ignition coils for Olds Toronados. The Delco service information I’ve paraphrased here can be found at:http://fiedlerh.home.att.net/HEI.pdf
i knew i seen this on the site before
OLDED and 68-13427 like this.

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in