So I'm out in the shop today, and this happened. - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 19, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

So I'm out in the shop today, and this happened.

I'm just enjoying the nice cool weather, doing an alignment on my new suspension when this fox walked in and was acting weird. It wasn't afraid, kinda acting like a neighborhood dog just checking stuff out, but it had the shakes. I threw a ramp at it, and it whizzed all over the floor. It didn't leave, just kept trying to come back in. I beat it on the head with a metal yardstick, nice clunk, it crapped and went outside, circled the barn and came in another door. I threw some more stuff at it and it ran next door into my 3 car garage. I was able to lock it in and tried animal control, no luck. The cops didn't care and as soon as I opened the door, he ran out and tried to get i my barn again. I chased it out again and continued my alignment with the doors closed, and instead of the cool fresh air, I got to smell fox pee. It stunk pretty bad. Oh well, the alignment it done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 19, 11:17 PM
Tech Team

That’s pretty crazy. Hope it isn’t rabid. I wonder if it’s a momma with some babies around your shop. It’s about that time of year.

Guess you’re in the city. I’da shot the sum*****. I have a personal vendetta with one that’s killed 10 of my chickens this year. I just can’t get it in a trap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E121C438-9830-4C8B-B981-1E7E2843793A_1560568609832.png
Views:	49
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	595778  
Chevelle_Nut likes this.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 19, 11:55 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac
Re: So I'm out in the shop today, and this happened.

definitely use mop and bleach to clean any place the fox peed or any bodily fluid may got left behind. jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 5:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Around here, that is a capitol offense.

If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 6:35 AM
Tech Team

I'm guessing it was rabid.

'71 chevelle, 468, TH400, 12 bolt posi w/3.08's, drinks a lot of 87 octane.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 7:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Last year we had a young fox that followed people around while they were out walking. We live in the woods, so everyone figured it was just curious. But it acted in the same way as above. Shaky, kinda mangy, and just weird. It would come up on our deck during the night and poop all over the place. We used bleach to clean it off. After about a week or so, someone found it dead in their yard. DNR came out and sent the body in for testing.

Yup, rabid.....

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 7:28 AM
Senior Tech Team
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8440 View Post
I'm guessing it was rabid.
X10!! Need to eliminate that one ASAP before someone gets bitten!
427L88 likes this.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 7:34 AM
Tech Team

Yes, my understanding is that rabid animals can be gentle and weird like this fox, or can go bat**** crazy and attack. They don't necessarily stay one way or the other, if you get my drift.
427L88 likes this.

'71 chevelle, 468, TH400, 12 bolt posi w/3.08's, drinks a lot of 87 octane.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 7:51 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Yep probably has rabies. Have come across couple racoons with rabies. Called the cops. Both times cops shot them on the spot.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 9:34 AM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Yep probably has rabies. Have come across couple racoons with rabies. Called the cops. Both times cops shot them on the spot.
I have an enclosed picket fenced in front yard. Years ago when I awoke and about to let our dog out I noticed a raccoon just laying in the yard. I thought it was weird to see it in the daylight just laying there. So I made some noisse to try to scare it, but it just crawled a little distance on its belly. It did this for a time until it managed to get out (squeeze under the fence) to a pine tree across the street. I called the police because small children sometimes walk the street to a school up the road from me. They came and shot it also. Im lucky I saw it, and it wasnt hidden under one of our bushes .At that time my twins were real young, and my mother in law would soon been over to watch them for the day. She definitely would of had them out there playing. And I hate to think what might of happened.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 10:00 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

I would probably call animal control or DNR / Natural Resources whichever you have in your area. If it is rabid they need to know. Sounds like it was acting strange to me. Wild animals dont normally come anywhere near humans like that.

A phone call cant hurt anything but if a child or any other person gets bitten . . . . . . . .

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 10:00 AM
Tech Team
Rick

A 22LR would have taken care of that problem here, no questions asked. A 22 short would be even quieter. My nine chickens get their coop door closed every night for this reason - foxes, coyotes and raccoons around here.

Never forget - absolutely everything loves chicken to eat.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

I tried animal control, there was no answer. Called the regional police, they said there was no more animal control, and the cop I spoke to didn't come out either. He said he couldn't do anything about it, let it go, and a bunch of talk about discharging a weapon in a residential area, blah, blah, blah. I'm glad I pay taxes. Where I used to live, I would have shot it on the spot. I have neighbors here, and I'm reluctant to discharge a weapon at this house, especially after making the mistake of trying to notify someone about it.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 2:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

Bow and arrow.
I have foot hold traps and place them out and bait around them with canned cat food.. some say sardines make the best critter bait..But I like sardines

I caught a fox in a foot hold trap in my back yard..Covered it with a small section of carpet and pounced on it at the same time..got it's foot out and let it go.
It has never been back.
Smelled like skunk spray for a few days around that area.

They do stink.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 7:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ69chevelle View Post
I tried animal control, there was no answer. Called the regional police, they said there was no more animal control, and the cop I spoke to didn't come out either. He said he couldn't do anything about it, let it go, and a bunch of talk about discharging a weapon in a residential area, blah, blah, blah. I'm glad I pay taxes. Where I used to live, I would have shot it on the spot. I have neighbors here, and I'm reluctant to discharge a weapon at this house, especially after making the mistake of trying to notify someone about it.
Are fireworks/firecrackers legal where you live. Let one off toscare it, and you can always say that is what neighbors heard if they show up.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in