Enclosed Trailer Advice Needed - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 7:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage
Enclosed Trailer Advice Needed

Ok, so I got word today that at the NOCC show this year, if you want to park your truck and enclosed trailer next to the show field (which is a VERY desirable and

convenient place to park) you will be required to remove your tow vehicle and park it elsewhere due to space restrictions, leaving the trailer only.

So here's the question:

How do you get a car on and off an enclosed trailer safely?

Chock all 4 wheels front and back, and a wooden block under each corner sounds kind of half-assed and dangerous.

Don't really want to buy 4 bottle jacks that I'll never use again.

Ideas welcome.

Mike

My 69 Chevelle Convertible

AACA Senior Grand National Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist
Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts 2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award
NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest 6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class
MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award" 2015 OPGI Original Restored Award
MCACN Gold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 7:53 PM
Tech Team

Re: Enclosed Trailer Advice Needed

I don't have a enclosed trailer, but have a open one. I think the process is the same. Drive it on, tie it down, front and back. Then drive it off to unload.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 7:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

im not sure what you are asking. Just equip your trailer with a good winch and pull the car back in the trailer. I do this all the time with my race car .once in the trailer I chalk the cars wheels one front and one back. I've winched plenty of cars in quite a few different enclosed trailers without outriggers in the front and back to keep the trailer from moving. They are stable enough as it is .just chalk the wheels
BossHogg69 likes this.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 8:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

I think that he is asking about getting the car on and off the trailer when it is not hooked to the tow vehicle. I had an enclosed trailer and this was possible because it had drop down jacks at the rear corners. I've also seen trailers with them in all 4 corners but two worked for me. Look on amazon, they are only $36 for a pair.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 9:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

I've loaded cars in diff enclosed trailers for years without it hooked up to the tow vehicle. the trailer moved up at the hitch very little to not at all. if youre worried put a couple small jack stands under the rear
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 10:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SHEVL View Post
Ok, so I got word today that at the NOCC show this year, if you want to park your truck and enclosed trailer next to the show field (which is a VERY desirable and

convenient place to park) you will be required to remove your tow vehicle and park it elsewhere due to space restrictions, leaving the trailer only.

So here's the question:

How do you get a car on and off an enclosed trailer safely?

Chock all 4 wheels front and back, and a wooden block under each corner sounds kind of half-assed and dangerous.

Don't really want to buy 4 bottle jacks that I'll never use again.

Ideas welcome.
Mike my friend believe me DO NOT attempt to load or unload the car with the trailer not hooked to the tow vehicle! I did that and damaged my (previous) trailer. You need to hook up the trailer to the truck (without doing all the connections, safety chains, etc), and load (or unload) the car and then when you're done, unhook the trailer. It's a little more work but you won't be asking for trouble or risk damaging anything that way.
Have a good time in Ohio… Unfortunately I won't make it this year…
Claude.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 10:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnicholson View Post
I've loaded cars in diff enclosed trailers for years without it hooked up to the tow vehicle. the trailer moved up at the hitch very little to not at all. if youre worried put a couple small jack stands under the rear

Same here, my trailer hardly moves. It has drop down jacks but they really are not needed; I've used them but they really don't make much difference (on my trailer at least).
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 11:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown1932 View Post
Same here, my trailer hardly moves. It has drop down jacks but they really are not needed; I've used them but they really don't make much difference (on my trailer at least).

I should note that my enclosed trailer (as well as the previous one) is pretty heavy/heavy duty (14k GVWR), so lighter duty trailers may be a different story.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 5:49 AM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

I'd chock all 4 trailer tires, put blocks or jack stands under the rear both sides, and use the trailer tongue jack under the front to take out all up and down slack. Then winch in the vehicle with electric winch. In lieu of trailer tongue jack you could use a floor jack or bottle jack. I'd also put all manner of locks on the tongue hitch to discourage theft of the whole kit and kaboodle. An alarm system or tracking device wouldn't be a bad idea either.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15
[img]
https://www.chevelles.com/showroom/da...m/DSCN1397.JPG
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 6:25 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

I'll bring you in a pair of camper stabilizer jacks. Just set them up on the rear corners of the frame. All you need is an impact and a 3/4 socket.
von likes this.

Couple of junkers and a few clunkers.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 6:32 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Not crazy about the idea, but I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the advise.

Mike

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts 2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award
MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award" 2015 OPGI Original Restored Award
MCACN Gold
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 6:42 AM
Senior Tech Team
Duke

I don't trailer but if I did, I might think about "practicing" whatever you want to try before you come to the show...some place with lots of room. That way, you can find out what works (or doesn't) with no surprises. See you soon and safe travel !
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 7:24 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE 69 View Post
I don't trailer but if I did, I might think about "practicing" whatever you want to try before you come to the show...some place with lots of room. That way, you can find out what works (or doesn't) with no surprises. See you soon and safe travel !
I got all week up there to practice.

I don't know who or what they plan to park in front of my trailer, but, hey, I got insurance.

Mike

MCACN Gold
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 1:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SHEVL View Post
I got all week up there to practice.
There will be about 200 of us watching and telling you 200 different reasons why you're doing it wrong.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 4:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek69SS View Post
There will be about 200 of us watching and telling you 200 different reasons why you're doing it wrong.
Well, if I can get a bunch of you to hold down the trailer in front and back,

I'll feel a helluva lot better.

Then, there are the other 10 or 12 trailers in that row too, in the same boat................

My concern is when the car is halfway up the ramp and the car is pushing forward on the unhooked trailer, if one or both

rear jacks slip and the trailer tongue pops up, wheels are now unchocked, there goes my trailer down route 66 to Cinncinnati,

not to mention the damage to the car

Mike

MCACN Gold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in