Team Chevelle banner

Gripe Of The Day: Automotive Battery Prices...

2K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  70L34 
#1 ·
I had to jump start my mom's van the other day. I took the battery in today to get it tested and the battery was bad.
It was out of the free replacement period, so there would be about $36 credit in the prorate period.

The problem is that the batteries at Autozone have made another HUGE jump in price. Back in 2015 this battery was about $130 - it is now $170. With the prorate discount, it still would have been $134 + tax.

So, I headed over to Walmart. I ended up buying their Everstart Maxx. It is the SAME EXACT battery as the one at Autozone, but with a different label (made by the same manufacturer, quite possibly on the same assembly line). Price?? $94. And it comes with the same warranty. That is over $70 cheaper than the price at Autozone. I will never purchase a car battery from Autozone again.

#2 ·
Autozone and other FLAPS jack up their margins on things like batteries and such because its a guaranteed to sell item. People need a battery right away, so they buy it w/o price shopping.

Costco has the cheapest prices on car batteries all around, and they are made by interstate.... It just sucks the catalog sucks so bad(no dimentions & specs), however if you go by this online guide (has w/ specs & PN's) then you can go to your local costco and get exactly what you want.

https://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/local/costco-auto-batteries.htm

#3 ·
I was in a Tractor Supply store recently. They seemed to have some decent prices on batteries. I usually get stuff from Merle's Auto Supply here in Tucson. I asked for (and got) a hobby shop rate. They assigned me an account number. Last time I bought oil (by the case) it was $2.57 a quart. The last battery was about $70.00. Merle's is a part of NAPA now.

#6 ·
You won't get anywhere near that usage time out of them around here. The Arizona heat kills batteries pretty fast. I will stick with the Everstart batteries, because there are Walmarts everywhere, and the price is over $70 less than the auto parts stores.

Reactions: boyd66k20 and LeoP
#7 ·
The battery in my 13 Vette GS went dead & froze, so I phoned GM & they wanted $224.00 for a replacement. After I got over the shock I went to Costco & got one for $109.00. I've had good luck with GM batteries but not at those prices.

Reactions: LeoP
#10 ·
We have an Interstate battery dealer here in MN. I just get their blems for $37. Only have a 90 day warranty but for that price who cares. I have 2 of them now both are over 2 years old.

Reactions: p40 and LeoP
#12 ·
When I need a high price part that Advance has in stock at my local store, I'll order and pay online, but use a discount code(that also is found online), and add that to my order. You can save 25% or more this way.
Pay online, then pickup at the store in a half an hour. Sounds crazy, but online is the cheaper way to shop locally!

#14 ·
The last couple of times my battery died I went through AAA to replace it. They sent their local “battery truck”, once to my home, another tie to a shopping center parking lot. They jumped the car I was driving, tested the battery and charging system, once the determined the battery was bad, they changed it on the spot. I’m sure I could have bought a better for less somewhere else, but it was convenient and hassle free, especially when it’s your only car or you are out someplace. Each time, it only took 15 minutes for the truck to arrive, so the wait time was more than reasonable.

Steve R

#16 ·
here in Phx we don't buy batteries, we rent them. if it makes it through two summers it was a good one. Even the old red top Optimas are short life here.

#17 ·
I buy mine at the upullits. They pull the good ones and test them before you buy them. Even if I buy one every year for 5 years I'm still way ahead of buying one new one...but I've never had to buy one every year.

The last one I bought was made in 2018. $20.

You're "not being intelligent" by paying a disposal fee. You can GET PAID for disposing it at your nearest scrapper...about $10-$15.

So that yard battery you buy cost about $10 when you're done.

#20 ·
Just got back from a week-long vacation on Saturday, and my wife's car had a dead battery... 0.23 volts... I put it on the charger, and left it there for about 10-12 hours... It NEVER reached a full charge ( had 12+ volts)...

So I was planning on buying one at Costco, but when I pulled it out, I noticed the manufacture date of 11/16. My wife did say she thought I bought it within the last few years. It was a Duralast Gold (Autozone), so I took it there first. They tested it, and said it was dead...

Surprise, still within the free replacement time period, so no cost to me... Whew... Although they said the 36-month "free replacement"/60-moth prorated warrantee is based on the original purchase date, so I am good through December...

I am waiting for my van's battery to die... Its 4-years old, and alot of opening/closing of the power doors when the engine is off... I figure its got to be soon...

#23 ·
Another vote for the Wal-Mart batteries. Used to be the Energizer brand, now they've changed to "Ever Start". Seem to be the same battery with a different label. I've been using these batteries for years in all our vehicles and have yet to use the warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.