What has happened with NAPA - Page 5 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 19, 5:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage
Re: What has happened with NAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
I think more retired guys need to work part time at the Napas of the world. Everyone would benefit. Needs to be a lounge in the back and with a mini-frig and very flexible hours.
Those guys are all doing that now at Home Depot.
BossHogg69 likes this.

Mike

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AACA Senior Grand National
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 19, 5:33 PM
Tech Team
Adam

You guys are making me appreciate my local O'Reilly more than I already do... I drive past a NAPA that is literally 1/2 mile from my house, then pass AutoZone a little farther down the road to drive across town to O'Reilly. They have one older guy (mid 50's?) there who is absolutely great, a couple of younger guys (20's) who actually try to help and have a great attitude, even if they need the computer to find most stuff, and a couple other guys my age (40's) who are always helpful. I do try to go in with part numbers, but I've never been left hanging or had to go somewhere else. My daily is the '65 Bel Air in my sig, with a carb'd small block. I have an '05 GMC 1500 pickup and they almost always have the parts for it in stock. They usually have to order stuff for the Bel Air - which so far has been a water pump, belts, gasket set, etc - but always next day or same day, since they have a distribution center right here in Little Rock.

1961 Bel Air 'sport coupe' ZZ454/M21
1965 Bel Air station wagon, sbc/th350 (daily driver)
1969 C10 swb, Straub/Foxwell ZZ532, Tremec Magnum Extreme by American Powertrain
(sorry, no Chevelle)
post #63 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 19, 5:36 PM
Tech Team
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SHEVL View Post
Here in my town, they're all at the local ACE Hardware!
69SHEVL likes this.

1961 Bel Air 'sport coupe' ZZ454/M21
1965 Bel Air station wagon, sbc/th350 (daily driver)
1969 C10 swb, Straub/Foxwell ZZ532, Tremec Magnum Extreme by American Powertrain
(sorry, no Chevelle)
post #64 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 19, 7:25 PM
Tech Team
Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd66k20 View Post
I use Rock Auto on line and parts are here in a couple days. Usually have a choice of better, and best. The off shore thing is a toss up these days.
Around here, Napa is a bit better than AZ and the rest. The help is more informed too, usually much more informed. When a guy needed points the Echlin line was considered very good. O'rieley's help seems better than most around here, but that doesn't make the parts any better.
At least a guy can get a calendar at NAPA around here too.

I love the Rock Auto commercials where the guy goes in and they tell him they don't have it store but in warehouse...So he walks out and orders from Rock Auto where it still has to be shipped to him...
BossHogg69 likes this.

It's better to burn out than to just fade away - Neil Young

1971 Chevelle SS 454 LS5

post #65 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 19, 8:06 AM
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty454 View Post
I bought my Chevelle in 2004 so I never got to experience the good old days of the parts store. I used to go to a local hot rod shop in Phoenix called Lopers that did not have computers. It was an old school shop that had guys that knew what they were doing. I would go in there to buy a part and end up hanging out for an hour or so smoking cigarettes and BSing with the guys.

Its strange to say, but 2004 was a long time ago now. These days, with my LS swap and everything, I cant just go in there and tell them I need a starter for a 72 Chevelle. I have to know exactly what Im going in to get. If they cant figure it out then its on me to do more research. Its 2019, we dont have to rely on the parts store guys anymore. Buy a part on rockauto and it will be on your doorstep the next day.
Lopers is still there on 9th st and Indian School road. I was there a few months ago for some big block spark plug wire looms I knew they had. There used to be 3 in the Phx area. One around 35th ave and Greenway, one on Indian School, and one in Mesa around McKellips and Country Club I think....
Back in the day, I spent quite a bit of money with them....

First car was a 1969 El Camino. .....I miss it, great car.

Currently: 1967 Royal Plum Camaro
post #66 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 19, 5:53 PM
Gold Founding Member

Hundreds of years ago, when I worked for a living, I bought all my normal replacement parts at NAPA because they were the only parts house that had Sunday opening--and most of my wrenching was done on Sunday. Worked out nice, as NAPA was only a mile or so from where I lived, and right on the "Main Drag" so it was very easy to get to.

NAPA was my parts-house of choice for decades. Still is for stuff I'm buying locally--typically OEM replacements I have to have "Now" or "Tomorrow". Hot-roddy stuff or stuff I'm buying in advance of a project get ordered from Summit, Amazon, Jegs, etc.

NAPA has also been in decline for the entire time I've been doing business with them. Unfortunately, the decline has been throughout the industry. NOBODY in the parts business is trustworthy any more, because they're all selling the same junk from the same manufacturers, but perhaps boxed with different-colored logos and different part numbers.

Reboxing (buying in bulk from an outside supplier, then putting the product in a custom-logo package) is both exceedingly common, and the slippery slope that will kill this industry.

And don't think things are different at the Stealership. My Lumina needed an outside mirror due to collision damage. Original mirror was made in Canada, and had beautiful finish except for some stone chips after 14 years. Replacement Genuine GM in a sealed box--Made in China, the finish went from gloss black to matte grey in six months. Jucking Funk and three times the price of aftermarket.

The best thing NAPA ever did for me? They let me "behind the counter". I was roaming the stockroom looking for bulk battery cable, and saw a bunch of parts books (ACTUAL PAPER CATALOGS) sitting on the shelf. They let me have one of each. The "Illustrated Parts Guides" are a treasure-trove of useful information. There's a photo of each part, a listing of what vehicles they fit, and often some specs about the thing, like what temperature or pressure turns the switch on, or range-of-motion, or whatever that make sourcing parts for a hot-rod project much easier. Also helps to determine the part number of crap that has been hanging around bare on the garage shelf for seven years

I tried to get similar catalogs out of CarQuest. The manager said he'd get some for me, but never did.
DUKE 69 and dyno jonn like this.

Did you SEARCH BEFORE POSTING a new thread?
Did you post in the CORRECT FORUM?
post #67 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 19, 6:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
Reboxing (buying in bulk from an outside supplier, then putting the product in a custom-logo package) is both exceedingly common, and the slippery slope that will kill this industry.

And don't think things are different at the Stealership. My Lumina needed an outside mirror due to collision damage. Original mirror was made in Canada, and had beautiful finish except for some stone chips after 14 years. Replacement Genuine GM in a sealed box--Made in China, the finish went from gloss black to matte grey in six months. Jucking Funk and three times the price of aftermarket.
That's the other rub.

Well-known American brands like GM, Interstate, Duracell, etc are licensing their names to foreign companies,

fooling people through brand recognition, creating premium priced junk.
DUKE 69 and 427L88 like this.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #68 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 19, 11:13 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SHEVL View Post
It likely depends on store, or more likely region, but Home Depot is not a good place to work if you are an "older" person. Intense favoritism and they simply do not take life experience or product knowledge or customer service into account to determine pay rate. A lot of "throw under the bus" behavior by youngish noob "managers" to make them look better to higher ups. Did work there for quite a while - simply too long. Would really recommend supporting the smaller stores - the Ace hardware chain, McCoys, 84 Lumber, etc. Btw Lowe's is just as bad.
BossHogg69 likes this.
post #69 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 19, 1:29 PM
rkd
Team Member
Ron

On a similar note I have started using CARQUEST again, as they have people that have good experience. Although the first two parts were a wild story.

66 Malibu Coupe, home rebuilt 350. Took me 39 years to get her!
post #70 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 19, 10:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

If you're not researching your parts why would someone else?

They are paid to sell, not be educated on parts.

YEARS ago, parts places had people that worked on cars, now not so much.

I research my parts, where they are made, other part numbers that are the same from other manufacturers etc.

There is a simple rule. Cheap parts generally last a year, pads, rotors, tie rods etc...then there are good parts that will last a long time.
oman, 427L88 and smitty454 like this.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #71 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 19, 2:25 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Using Jap plugs in my Rat as I cant find US made anymore. Not NAPAs fault.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #72 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 19, 3:06 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
Lopers is still there on 9th st and Indian School road. I was there a few months ago for some big block spark plug wire looms I knew they had. There used to be 3 in the Phx area. One around 35th ave and Greenway, one on Indian School, and one in Mesa around McKellips and Country Club I think....
Back in the day, I spent quite a bit of money with them....
Ive spent thousands at Lopers, but I havent been there in a few years. It really hasnt been the same since Mr Loper died. The guy that took over is a real prick IMO so I would rather order online. I know a lot of the guys there didnt like working for the new owner either.

Mike Smith
72 Chevelle, LS 6.0 LQ9 4l80e
post #73 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 2:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ron

I still use NAPA. They have knowledgeable people, one who is a steady MOPAR drag racer. I needed valve springs for my 325 396. He said they don't sell what he thought I should have, pulled out the Summit catalog, and showed me what to order. Lots of other great service as well. They know your name when you show up. Nice to have the old style service.
Thanks NAPA.

'69 Chevelle SS, 396/325JA, 4 spd, 2dr Coupe, Cortez Silver, Blue vinyl top, Dk Blue interior, U-46 Light monitoring, AC, bucket seats, 3.31 12-bolt posi.
post #74 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 2:36 PM
Tech Team
Rick

NAPA has been good for me locally. They made me a perfect custom power steering hose and are knowledgeable / willing to look stuff up for me in their computer. Always getting me the right part.

I have even asked oddball questions about getting a non standard serpentine belt for my EC and the belt fit perfectly.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #75 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 1:25 PM
Senior Tech Team
T.C.

if you have AAA, NAPA gives a Discount
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in