Sales Tax Now? Ugh! - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 19, 11:13 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Garage
Re: Sales Tax Now? Ugh!

I've purchased a lot of parts on e-bay over the years. Always been a good way to find decent oem parts for me. Here in NJ they just started to charge tax on all online transactions. I'm not thrilled that i am now taxed when I by used parts. Especially since the only thing this state seems concerned about is subsidizing illegal immigration. I don't know how you guys on the left coast live with 10-14% tax!!! 7 1/2 is way too much for me.

There's an old saying, "You get less of what you tax and more of what you subsidize" so politicians tax prosperity and subsidize poverty. Is it any reason things seem so F'd up?
Below is a snipit of the bill I got buying some convertible brackets from California. its not a $3500 Trans kit but still annoying.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ebay.PNG
Views:	8
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	595186  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 12:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
This could really suck...

Ironically, it seems like California is not the worst state this time... At least not yet... Never heard anyone here complain about the IRS/FTB having people walking around the swap meets...

My brother bought a 68 Corvette, and the State sent a letter stating that, in their opinion, the value was higher than reported... "Luckily" for him, he had credit card bills for a replacement ungine, and new suspension an brakes, so the State agreed with his lower purchase price... Unfortunately, the engine, etc were fine when he bought it, only blowing the engine a few days later...

Damn, I have a purchase I want to make at Summit...

I already quit buying thru Amazon ( mostly), as they are bigger priced on most things now, with no tax benefit...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

post #48 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 7:49 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12stones View Post
I tried to send you a private message in order to not hijack this thread but the system said you don't receive PM's.

Your 147 gr ball ammo is much more likely to over penetrate and exit your target. Some form of a hollow point will expand and be more likely to stay in and devastate your target. It's simple physics and biology.
Huh? I'll fix my PM problem and you can send me a message. Sorry about that!!!
post #49 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 8:56 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

The bigger problem, as evidenced by most replies to this thread, is governments are trying to increase tax collections without increasing rates. In Texas, ad valorem taxes on property are the biggest source of taxation, with no state income tax. I think there is a purposeful conspiracy to push real estate values sky high to get people to accept a state income tax. I have multiple properties and over the last few years I have to fight to keep the tax appraisals under market value.

Let me give you a short story to illustrate how government budgets get bloated. Letís say you are a government agency department head. You know that you need a certain amount of money for a specific project that is outside of your normal spending pattern. You have to get your budget increased and spend all the money to keep getting that appropriation. Once you have it, you canít or donít let go of it. You find creative ways to spend or otherwise use the money. Some of the other ways are behind the scenes budget transfers. Where money from one departmentís budget gets pulled and transferred to another. It has the effect of inflating the money the government thinks it needs. I have seen it first hand.

People donít like to have to think in high resolution. Jordan Peterson. Thatís why we are forced in to so many binary choices.
post #50 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 12:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

^^^^^^^Nasty game the Bureaucrats play huh? There is NEVER enough tax money for any government. They are like drug addicts.

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.315 60'
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 4:57 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokerboats View Post
^^^^^^^Nasty game the Bureaucrats play huh? There is NEVER enough tax money for any government. They are like drug addicts.

Now just like drug addicts but many are now actually drug dealers. All in the name of having more money to spend. Thank you Colorado.
post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 8:42 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post

Ironically, it seems like California is not the worst state this time... At least not yet... Never heard anyone here complain about the IRS/FTB having people walking around the swap meets...

Must have not gone to any multi day swap meets in a state capital city where state tax agents have a whole day with nothing else to do. Some tax agents work the locals, some the out-of-staters.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 10:42 PM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Here in California (may other states as well), I think there is a threshold for collecting sales tax for online sales (business has no brick and mortar presence in state) based on either sales $$ or number of transactions in a year. What I don't know is, does the sales tax kick in once the sales for a business trip the threshold or is it immediate implementation based on prior year sales into the state.

California is projected to receive $544 million in sales tax collections for just the first fiscal year. You can bet it won't be used appropriately.

I do know that ebay charges sales tax to Washington state buyers no mater who the seller is or where he/she is located. I've recently bought some items from small private sellers who sell maybe a few hundred dollars a year like me and I get charged 10% tax on everything except coins or any kind of "grocery" item like coffee etc. The money hungry state and local governments have pushed the limit on what they can charge on income tax, sales tax, property tax, gas tax, soda tax, cigarette tax, liquor tax, car license tax, toll roads, etc. etc. Only thing left is out of state purchases. It's just another nail in the "small guy" who just needs some auto parts at a decent price.
post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 2:05 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

Garage

Irs does not do sales tax, as of last year, most states went to a system where sellers are supposed to report sales to an address and name in the state so that state can 1099 you at the end of the year.
May get interesting.
Alan F likes this.

https://
href="http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/gregs_photo/" target="_blank">http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/gregs_photo/
post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 9:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
Let me give you a short story to illustrate how government budgets get bloated. Letís say you are a government agency department head. You know that you need a certain amount of money for a specific project that is outside of your normal spending pattern. You have to get your budget increased and spend all the money to keep getting that appropriation. Once you have it, you canít or donít let go of it. You find creative ways to spend or otherwise use the money. Some of the other ways are behind the scenes budget transfers. Where money from one departmentís budget gets pulled and transferred to another. It has the effect of inflating the money the government thinks it needs. I have seen it first hand.
Seen it repeatedly on the fed side too. This is one of the major failings of govt budgeting. They only look year to year - not 5, 10, or 15 years out like corporations would. Their idea of "long term" is to issue bonds to get money NOW to spend NOW... figure out how (if ever) to pay it back later.
Alan F likes this.

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 12:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
Must have not gone to any multi day swap meets in a state capital city where state tax agents have a whole day with nothing else to do. Some tax agents work the locals, some the out-of-staters.
I usually attend the largest automotive swap meet in Sacramento, capital of California. I haven't sold there in a few years, but I have a friend that usually does (even this past April)Ö My neighbor even sold a '55 Chevy pickup this year... No tax man...

At least yet...

I think some of the regular "vendors" need a city selling permit, so maybe they pay taxes, but just haven't seen the one-time seller get hassled yet...

Just made a Summit order tonight, and yep, charged sales tax... Its okay, I got free shipping, and prices that blew the locals out of the water... I had to buy an o2 sensor for my truck (97 Chevy), $24 at Summit (should be here Monday afternoon with free shipping), or $52 for the EXACT same part at the local AutozoneÖ Yikes!

I picked up a few other items on my list, to ensure I got the "free shipping on $99 orders"...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 10:52 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

I know this will be controversial, and the rules vary state by state. If a sales tax is not collected, generally a use tax is due to the buyer, even in barter. Thereís millions of dollars of sales daily that escape the sales tax system. The emphasis on tightening up on collection of sales tax is to make sellers responsible for collecting it. Everyone wants to say why should I collect sales tax to sell something I own? If itís not already in your jurisdiction, we need t be pressing our legislators to eliminate sales tax on non-commercial person to person sales. For example, itís multiple taxation to tax an item that is not increasing GDP.

We are private individuals. We improve, fix up or restore our cars. We pay hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in sales taxes for items and services we buy. If they want to tax it again, we should get a credit for taxes paid, such that businesses do. There is no mechanism to do so.

People donít like to have to think in high resolution. Jordan Peterson. Thatís why we are forced in to so many binary choices.
post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 11:42 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

Garage

In general, most states do not have a sales tax on used items that's why flea markets are popular the one exception, for the most part, is a used car most states will tax a used car when you register it.

https://
href="http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/gregs_photo/" target="_blank">http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/gregs_photo/
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 12:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Here in PA, we had an occupational privilege tax. We got to pay tax for the privilege of having a job in this state. They renamed it a few years ago because even they realized how ridiculous it was. Oh yeah, when they renamed it, it also doubled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in