A26 Progress, two more runs - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Tom

A26 Progress, two more runs

Yesterday we did 2 more hi-speed taxi runs. They were better than 2wks ago, but we still have some issues to resolve. So back to the hanger, open the tool box and back to work. MAYBE we will do some more runs in 2wks.

This was the second hi-speed taxi. They got it up to about 90 knots and the pilot said the nose was beginning to lift--------------SHE WANTS TO FLY!
https://youtu.be/rWW3c0qRpvQ

This was taxi back and shut down after the second run.
https://youtu.be/6hhR43d8IDg

MAYBE, MAYBE, MAYBE we can be wheels up by the end of summer. I want to be optimistic, but after 20yrs on this restoration project, I've learned that things don't come together over night.
12stones, 68-13427, MarkP and 7 others like this.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 10:34 AM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino
Re: A26 Progress, two more runs

Amazing !!!!!!!!

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 10:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

I love it! Amazing the work that has been done.

If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 1:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Keep up the good work Tom. She will eventually get airborne!

70 LS5 convertible
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 1:57 PM
Team Member
Dave

If she was itching for the air at 90 knots, what is rotate speed?

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 5:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Duke

So close now, Tom! All of you must be thrilled, even with the setbacks. I truly look forward to seeing that first flight...like Kitty Hawk all over again!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 7:57 PM
Gold Founding Member
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSuper Dave View Post
That is going to depend on the weight of the airplane Dave.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 SS (naw you don't want to see it yet)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 10:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Awesome work by all, it's been a long, busy road to get this far!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSuper Dave View Post

Between 100-105 knots. It could be as high as 115 knots.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 19, 6:14 AM
Senior Tech Team
Brian

Great news, Tom! Make sure your crew knows their efforts are not going unrecognized!!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 19, 2:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Tom

I realize that so far there have been no videos from INSIDE the plane (those will come). But for right now, during these early periods of testing, I feel documentation (at least as best as I can get with my camera) is extremely more important.
Even though my position on the plane will be flight engineer, we have 3 other members who will also be qualified flight engineers.

For those who don't remember, I have made several flights on another A26, so it's not as iff I haven't flown on one. The first two test flights will also be done with me on the ground making videos-----------------THEN I'M TAKING OVER THE FLIGHT ENGINEER SEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
During our briefings, we have agreed that the first test flight will be with full flaps on takeoff----------AND------------gear up (Our pilot wants to be assured that if an emergency arises, he can set the plane down-----on the gear. The first flight will be about 2000ft altitude for 15min in a pattern around the Guthrie airport. Then bring it back to the hanger and go over EVERYTHING with a "fine tooth comb".
The second test flight will be about 30min at about 5000ft.
After that 2-3 flights will be done putting the plane through multiple maneuvers.
Last, get it painted and hit the airshow circuit.
THAT'S THE PLAN--------------EVERYONE KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED!!!!!!!!!

For those who do not remember, this is the other A26 that I was a part time crew member on---------------SOAKING UP EVERYTHING I COULD ABOUT AN A26 IN PREPARATION FOR OURS!

I'm on the far right. My youngest son, Zac, is next to me.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 8:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Hey Tom, what's the latest on the A26?
bikeron likes this.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnugene View Post
Hey Tom, what's the latest on the A26?

We are still getting closer and closer to wheels up!
As I've mentioned several times in the past, we are now (LITERALLY) down to several little misc-----------------BUT VERY IMPORTANT-----------things.
1. Getting the emer brake system to hold pressure
2. Getting the latches on the canopies to line up and LOCK in place
3. A little more adjusting of the carb on the right engine, it's almost, but not quite up to full power (GOTTA get it to 2700rpm)
4. Once EVERYTHING is done, the plane has to be jacked up and weighed to determine the CG (center of gravity).

None of the above includes new pictures (I guess I could take pictures of the canopy latches).
Maybe I'll take pictures when we weight the plane.

Now, with all the above said-----------------WE ARE DAMN CLOSE TO WHEELS UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry, I'll keep everyone informed.
Also, I WILL NOT, repeat, WILL NOT be on the first test flight. Even though my position on the plane is flight engineer (we have other qualified members), I will be on the ground getting videos of the first flight. And that is really more important.
Also, remember, I have made several flights on the black A26 that is now in Enid, OK with a different crew.

Some videos below when I was part time crew on the black A26, with some stories to go with them.

This was a few years ago when when I was still employed at Tinker AFB in Okla City. From time to time, I had talked to some of my co-workers about being part of a crew on an A-26. Several of my co-workers were kind of like, ya, ya, ya, Tom is full of BS, just trying to impress us. Well at an airshow that was held at Tinker, I told the same co-workers that I would be flying in on the A-26 Fri afternoon. If they wanted to come out, I would give them a tour of the plane. Again, ya, ya, ya, right. Their tune totally changed when they came to our parking spot on the ramp and I climbed down from the plane!

This is coming in to park at an airshow in Tulsa, OK.

This was coming into Ft Smith, making a low approach and pulling up hard left. The crowd was so impressed with this pass that the controller came on the radio and asked if we could make 3-4 more passes like that!

I CAN'T WAIT TO START MAKING IT TO THE AIR SHOWS AGAIN!!!!!!

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Tom

This is when I was flying on the black A-26.
I'm on the far right with my son, Zac next to me.
The 3 in the center is the pilot, his wife (co-pilot) and the flight engineer on the black A-26.
When they turned over the black A-26 to the crew in Enid, they were done flying an A-26. Well, as luck would have it, a few months ago, we persuaded all 3 of them to become part of our group------------in the same positions!!! So now we will have a VERY HIGHLY experienced flight crew and and all of our group has extensive aircraft maintenance backgrounds! We are going to have the best, newest A-26 on the planet!

By the way, did I answer your question?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A26 Group.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	599986  

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 11:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post
I realize that so far there have been no videos from INSIDE the plane (those will come). But for right now, during these early periods of testing, I feel documentation (at least as best as I can get with my camera) is extremely more important.
Even though my position on the plane will be flight engineer, we have 3 other members who will also be qualified flight engineers.

For those who don't remember, I have made several flights on another A26, so it's not as iff I haven't flown on one. The first two test flights will also be done with me on the ground making videos-----------------THEN I'M TAKING OVER THE FLIGHT ENGINEER SEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
During our briefings, we have agreed that the first test flight will be with full flaps on takeoff----------AND------------gear up (Our pilot wants to be assured that if an emergency arises, he can set the plane down-----on the gear. The first flight will be about 2000ft altitude for 15min in a pattern around the Guthrie airport. Then bring it back to the hanger and go over EVERYTHING with a "fine tooth comb".
The second test flight will be about 30min at about 5000ft.
After that 2-3 flights will be done putting the plane through multiple maneuvers.
Last, get it painted and hit the airshow circuit.
THAT'S THE PLAN--------------EVERYONE KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED!!!!!!!!!

For those who do not remember, this is the other A26 that I was a part time crew member on---------------SOAKING UP EVERYTHING I COULD ABOUT AN A26 IN PREPARATION FOR OURS!

Pan around top of A26 - YouTube

A26 taxi out Tulsa - YouTube

A26 pass Tulsa - YouTube

A26 taxi in at Tulsa - YouTube

LoApproach into FtSmith - YouTube

I'm on the far right. My youngest son, Zac, is next to me.
Curios why full-flap takeoff? Just to be in landing configuration if needed to set it right back down? Maybe you meant first flight flaps down, gear down?

I just love the sound of a big radial engine. Just got in on the tail end the recip era...navigator school Rancho Cordova, CA 1969-70. Must have been 100 T-29s trainers on the ramp...basic nav models, bombardier models, EWO models. They leak some oil static, and make some smoke cranking up! Later, in Thailand, would see the occassional C-124 or C-97 along with the new C-5 Galaxy. Some contrast. Essentially doing the same job...we called it "haulin' trash" in the Herk. Good times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in