Team Chevelle banner

Non-Chevelle: 1950 Ford barn find, in the family!

4K views 57 replies 30 participants last post by  RAMBO 
#1 ·
My aunt called me up a couple of weeks ago, mentioned that they have hired a property management company to handle their rental house since their health is making it tough to maintain- apparently the management company objected to their old car on stands in the garage and wants them to remove it. So she was asking me to come take a look, and see if i could help them get it out of the garage and sell it.

As the family's gear head, I've been called on before to help move/sell/give away cars before so no big surprise at the request, but what old car is it? I thought I knew any neat cars in the family- Apparently not.

Turns out my uncles owns a 1950 ford custom tudor sedan. it was his dad's, bought it brand new here in Seattle... was daily driven into the 70's when my uncle got it in highschool for $1, then it became the kid car for him and his sister through school.
It was repainted... engine was rebuilt... interior was redone... then in 1987 he got married to my aunt, and in 1988 for some reason as yet not explained, he carefully backed it into the garage, put it up on stands and there it has sat.

I went over there last week not knowing what to expect. It took some effort just to get the outside doors open due to the weeds and bushes growing in front of it.

These pics are what I found. I doubt the cloth car cover had been off since it was parked, as much dust under as on top.

Plan is to have it towed home to my house and I will attempt to get it running & driving again, then sell it for them- should be a fun couple months playing around with it.

See less See more
#3 ·
That last pic is the original title folder with his dads name and info on it... inside- EVERY RECEIPT SINCE IT WAS NEW!!!! it has a thank you letter for buying the new car from the dealer. the stub from the payment when he paid for the car! Receipts for tuneups, oil changes, tires, literally everything ever done on the car all the way back to June 1950 when it was purchased. Crazy!

Anyway- The master cylinder is frozen (luckily in the up position, so the wheels turn)- but the radiator is full of nice clean green antifreeze, dipstick shows nice oil on it.
He told me that for the first year in storage he'd fire it up and run it for 15 mins every month or so until it ran out of gas.... So in theory the gas tank & lines should be clean too...

I pumped up the tires, took it down off the jack stands and used the jack to pull it away from the wall of the garage. Ready to go back later this week to have it towed out.

Hoping for a relatively easy start back up on the engine... then go through the brake hydraulics and maybe be driving it before summer is too far along.

#11 ·
The old Girl seems in great shape

Flathead V8 ?

I would think it would be worth big Bucks !!
since all the Chrome looks to be in great shape

Reactions: RAMBO
#15 ·
-----------------------------------

Flathead V8 ?

----------------------------------------------------

Yep, 239 flathead V8. Last used in 1953, before the 54 239 OHV V8.
The Mercury flathead was 255----------------in its day, the Merc flathead was the desirable engine to hotrod.

#12 ·
Talk about a time capsule. What amazing condition, especially the interior. Ford believed in putting the generator front and center.

#13 ·
Nice Shoebox Ben, it should be pretty easy to get it running and driving. There are many cool performance upgrades still available for that flathead. If it were me, I'd have to adopt it.

#14 ·
OH MY GOD, MY GOD, MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!
PLEEEEEEEEEASE DO NOT SELL IT!
KEEP IT, KEEP IT, KEEP IT, GET IT RUNNING AND DRIVE IT!!

I still have my very first car. I bought it from my Granddad in 62 just before going to nam.
I parked it 7yrs ago because it had a broken piston in the 383 that I had recently built for it. FINALLY, a few months ago, I got motiveted and my son and I tore the engine down. Ended up replacing all 8 pistons and rings and it is now back to daily driver status (REALLY). It is an ugly, rusty POS sleeper and I love it. In 1966 I installed an ugly under dash air cond unit and it still blows cold R12 (but it's on its 3rd compressor).

#16 ·
OH MY GOD, MY GOD, MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!
PLEEEEEEEEEASE DO NOT SELL IT!
KEEP IT, KEEP IT, KEEP IT, GET IT RUNNING AND DRIVE IT!!

I still have my very first car. I bought it from my Granddad in 62 just before going to nam.
I parked it 7yrs ago because it had a broken piston in the 383 that I had recently built for it. FINALLY, a few months ago, I got motiveted and my son and I tore the engine down. Ended up replacing all 8 pistons and rings and it is now back to daily driver status (REALLY). It is an ugly, rusty POS sleeper and I love it. In 1966 I installed an ugly under dash air cond unit and it still blows cold R12 (but it's on its 3rd compressor).

Tom, that thing would cool better if you put a belt on that compressor! When you gonna give us an update on the A26?

#17 ·
I'm really blown away by the interest this thing is generating.

Believe me I would love to make it mine.a friend of mine actually has a 49 sedan just like this that's been modernized (sbc, new suspension, 12 volts etc) it would be fun to run around with twin cars...

But it must get moved due to the loss of the storage, and they both have medical issues and the money would be very helpful.
They have adult kids who aren't into it either, or I'd be involving them.

It was their suggestion to sell not mine. If they just wanted it to run and drive to keep I would totally do that for them too...

Anyway, the hurry is only to get it moved.
I can take my time working on it and selling it,so I will take my time and have fun, but the end goal is to get them as much as possible without dumping a ton of my own time and money into it.

More pics will come when I have it towed home soon .

#18 ·
Ben, my buddy has been jonesing for a '49 or '50 Ferd for a few months now. He's a little wacky like the me in that when we get an itch, it must be scratched. He just missed a bid on a '49 in Scottsdale that he had volunteered my help in the retrieval roadtrip.
Should I send him your info??

#20 ·
Very cool time capsule.....:cool:

I totally agree it should be kept in your family, and understand that they need the cash. If it were in my family, I would get it appraised, go to the bank, and borrow the money to keep it in the family. You will never get another chance at something like this. I know it's tough, and easy for me to say, but I'd find a way.

I was in a similar situation back in 1967. My uncle's '57 Chevy Bel Air 2-door sedan, with all documentation, bought new by him. It was offered to me for $500. I had just ordered my first '68 L79 Malibu, didn't even have it yet. I passed on the '57 and have regretted it ever since. In hindsight, I should have just scraped the 500 bucks together and bought that '57 Chevy.

Reactions: Pete 67 and RAMBO
#21 ·
1st year for the push button door handle, 49 had a pull, my dad had a few 49s & 50s one had a 53 chevy grill but that might have been a 54 ford, VERY cool barn find!! and in great condition, doesn't Dave Ray have a super charger? >:)

#22 ·
I agree, DO NOT SELL IT, KEEP THAT OLD THUNDERCHICKEN--- Thats an order ! :thumbsup: Thats how I tell the old fords, 49s had pull handles,,50s had push buttons. Not sure, Some had the overdrive ( in & out ) button , Under the throttle pedal. If so equipped.
Bob
P.S.
If you want to be KOOL. You can flip the gearshift handle to the LEFT side of the steering column. Then you will be " Mr. Kool ".

Reactions: shovelrick
#26 ·
Thanks for all the comments guys-

Regarding selling it, If it had been -MY- grandpas car, and/or any kind of real direct connection to me there would be no question that I would be keeping it- however we are talking about my uncle by marriage, so I don't know or have any connection to his other family, and as I mentioned the car been stored away and never mentioned until now.

So while it is really cool, and will be a fun project for me- I've got no real connection to it so my main goal is to try and get the most $$ for my aunt & uncle to help with their medical bills and such.

my primary concern right now is where I'm gonna put it when I get home and how to get it up my sloped driveway... Unless Jerry's friend buys it first, lol.

#27 ·
Wow, that's in really nice shape. Flatheads are tough - just change the oil, put in a new battery and some fresh gas and away you go. I would expect $10k-$15k once cleaned up, if not more. It's nice enough to drive but not so nice that you worry about it.

There isn't anyone on that side of the family that wants it? It would be a shame to see it go, but that's life I guess. I went to an estate auction years ago where the house and contents had been in the family since the Civil War. If no one in the family wants it, what is there to do?

#28 ·
Unfortunately, they live in an area that has only on-street vehicle storage. Not even a driveway. And old car like this car would go to trash very quickly if left outside like that (and not driven)- and thats assuming it wouldn't just be vandalized or stolen.
Their daily driver toytotas have been stolen and recovered multiple times.

They have two adult sons in their mid/late 20's who both live in apartments and have shown no interest in this car or cars in general.... So thats why we are where we are.

#31 ·
It may not be a Chevelle, but in the end, we're all car guys. I get the sentimental connection that some may see with it, but being an in-laws car, that nobody cares about, the best thing to do is enjoy it for a short while then get them as much as you can for it.

Devin

#33 ·
What a time capsule! With all its documentation, that would be a great car to do a full restoration.

My late F-I-L owned a 1967 Ford Econoline pickup and it's still covered up, in the barn. He passed away, fifteen years ago.
If I had the space and time, I would rebuild it.

#35 ·
By the way, just for additional information, and it's already been mentioned, the flathead Ford/Merc engines are still popular enough that there are sources for hi-perf parts (INCLUDING adjustable lifters) and upgrades for these engines. The LAST version of these flattys was the 50-53 models and there are machining procedures and internal parts that will allow them to be bored and stroked out to 300cubes. A 300cube flatty in that car, with headers (or at least aftermarket dual exhaust manifolds), finned alum heads and 2 or 3 carbs, upgraded to 12 volts and one of the aftermarket alternators that is made to resemble a generator, would put that car in a VERY up to date, streetable and driveable condition. Leave everything else pure bone stock-------------------well, maybe some radial tires.
AGAIN, YOU NEED TO KEEP IT AND PUT IT BACK ON THE STREET!!!!!

#36 ·
If you want to send my Aunt & uncle a check, I'll be happy to keep the car and promise to make tasteful & period correct hot rod updates to it & put it to good use! :D :D

Maybe I need a go fund me page... isn't that what people do nowadays? LOL!

If i can get it running again, and fix the brakes, I will likely initially price it high so i can enjoy it for the summer months at least. I am looking forward to playing with it, and have already begun trying to figure out some basics, like what kind of 6v battery to buy, and pre-oiling instructions, etc etc.

In other news, I've got a crew & trailer lined up for retrieval, gonna go back and get it on Monday evening. Its about an hour away from where I live so it takes some coordination.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.