Pool Build? - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dustin

Pool Build?

The wife and I are debating possibly putting in a pool. This is actually the second time we've considered this a couple years ago we got substantial sticker shock when we were quoted 60-70K for a 15' X 30' pool with very few upgrades. At that time we decided we didn't want to swing that price and considered doing an owner built pool (owner acts as GC) but didn't get very far in the process.

Given it's Florida and it's hot way too much we are re-opening this discussion but I don't believe hiring a pool company will yield any different answers so I'm curious if anyone here has GC'ed a pool build and if they would recommend it. From what I'm hearing we could save easily around 10-15K if not more.

Any advice or thoughts (even if it's "You're crazy") are welcome.

1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Triumph TR6
1972 Chevelle - 396, 4 Speed
1992 Acura Integra
2002 Yamaha R1
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
2012 Dodge Durango Citadel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 1:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

For me pools are only good if they get used. We debated many years ago and got an above ground. Was able to keep an eye on my girls and their friends. Ironically I just tour the pool down a few weeks ago since it wasn’t really used. If you do go for it, I suggest a salt water system chlorine generator. Good luck.

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 1:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
Re: Pool Build?

How many bids/proposals did you get?

We had similar questions when we put in our pool 5 years ago...

Even though both my wife and I are licensed civil engineers and I come from a family of contractors (painting, electrical, plumbing and even home GC), we came to the conclusion that (for us anyway), it wasn't worth the hassle of dealing with the headaches of being the GC...

Our pool builder did the majority of the work in-house, only subbing out the concrete (shotcrete and decking). I know I had issues with the concrete decking sub trying to extort extra cash from me for supposed "extra" concrete poured... I refused, and finally had to bring the contract out and show him.

Several people I know had issues with scheduling, taking several months longer. If one contractor can't get the work done in time, EVERYONE else gets delayed... And often those other rescheduled tasks further screw with everyone elses tasks...

I guess it also depends a LOT on where you are located... I would have thought that Florida would have been a "buyers market" for pool installation...

I am in California, where the property values are high (the pool contractor needs to charge more), and regulations are pretty stiff...

Our pool is ~15,000 gallons, 31 X 18 "freeform" (80+ foot perimeter, 14 feet across at narrow section), 7 feet deep at deepest, 4-foot high water fall (moss rocks), jumping rock (18" high), more areas of large rock along the perimeter, "stamped" textured concrete decking (400 ft sq) a seat under the waterfall, and a 5X5 "cabo shelf" (16" depth large stair to place chairs IN the pool) And off course all the associated plumbing and electrical, demo and removal of soil from the property ($400 additional for a colored LED light which has already burned out (least expensive replacement I can find is $700+) We paid additional to place the pump/filter about 40 feet away from the pool and our electrical panel is on the opposite side of the house from the garage (so they needed to run an extra long service). But I also paid to bump the wire size up so I could tap into that new service for my shed and compressor... No heater...

We were at $34,000, and took 2 months (mid-June to mid August). Base price was $28k or $28.5k. Nice and courteous workers and foremen, designers, except for the concrete sub.

My wife and I did all our own drainage, irrigation and landscaping, which saved on those costs...

Largest pool builder in the area (national chain/franchise?, Premier Pools). Even provided free designer consultation with nice rendering/plan.

But we did have several other proposals from other companies, with all being much higher (one was $50k+, and one was $80k+, and several wouldn't even come out if we weren't spending $75k+)

Ours is also a nice (expensive) water feature in our yard... just had two ducks bathing this morning, and my wife loves the waterfall...

Yeah, we decided that with our own pool, we (wife and I) could control the circumstances with our daughters... We have had many small pool parties...

I'd look at getting more, fresh bids from multiple companies...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pool Aug 2016.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	594384  

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 1:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Pat

My wife always wanted a pool, I always wanted a 70 Chevelle..see where this is going? Lol. We put a really nice inground with salt system and she loves it and uses it all the time, I dont use it much but it does look really nice and with the salt is not that much work,no regrets.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 2:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

It's very relaxing and definitely all year round here in Florida.

After I found the right pool guy, he recommended having an architect design the whole back yard, as I wanted the space maximized and NO grass and,

besides some tree and bush maintenance, minimal upkeep.

You don't want palm trees that drop dingleberries all day, or plants that drop leaves, seeds, or flowers, as they wind up in the water.

X2 on the water feature and the salt water thing (NO Chlorine)

Heater is good to have for night time and cool winter months (comes on automatically or manually).

A company called Jandy makes a hand held remote that you can control everything with the pool, waterfalls and landscape lighting.

The main things are to make sure you are going to use it before you commit, and shop around, not just for the best price, but a

contractor who works in a timely manner, is clean, understands what it means to be finished and completed and has plenty of references

of finished jobs that you can visit and see with your own eyes.

If you decide it's what you want to do, don't cheap out. Figure out EXACTLY what you want.

If you can't swing it, save for it.

You only want to do it once.

It all adds to the value of your home, as well.

Jeffs68ss likes this.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 3:04 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

My wife wanted one for a long time, so we had this installed last summer. It's a 15 x 30 kidney bean style, also a salt water pool with a propane heater. The grand kids love it, all kinds of floaty toys.lol Last year I went for a swim and I fell asleep on the chair, woke up two hours later, worst sun burn I ever had.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	594394  
69SHEVL likes this.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 5:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Like the 'vert!

Like Tony, we spent about 30K on our pool, but ours was built in 2003...and we did all of the landscaping, too. Way back when we put our pool in...we had a large first step made (so my handicapped mother in law could easily access the pool). Now they have these as special features and call them Baja steps/Cabo shelves

Ours is 16,000 gallons, has in ground cleaning, Pebble Tec finish (I'd recommend pebble sheen if I was doing a pool now) a waterfall, etc. No need for a heater...as by end of March our pool is already at 74 degrees...and by mid summer it can be in the high 90's!

Go to a Home/Garden & Landscaping show and get ideas. Have a bunch of different folks come out and do bids and provide drawings. Take what you like best from every one of them.

Makes for some relaxing times during the hot AZ summers.

Bruce

We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality.
Albert Einstein

SOLD!!!!
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 5:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Like the 'vert!

Another picture during a freakish mid winter hail storm...LOL Golf ball size hail

Bruce

We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality.
Albert Einstein

SOLD!!!!
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 6:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dustin

We are located outside Orlando FL and we got at least 3 quotes at 65-80k a few years ago. Our neighbors put in a pool right after they moved in 5 years ago for half that cost with a similar design to what we're looking at.

We're going to look at both paths again and see if prices have changed at all. There are a few things I know we want:
- automation
-Variable speed pump
- salt system
- heat pump heater

We've heard that if we run the job ourselves we can save 15k or more which might make it more feasible. I'm thinking I could stomach about 40K but definitely not double that.

1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Triumph TR6
1992 Acura Integra
2002 Yamaha R1
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 6:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69shevel
A company called Jandy makes a hand held remote that you can control everything with the pool, waterfalls and landscape lighting.
We have a jandy PDA, and I like it... Except that it takes a minute to boot-up, so I don't have a landscape lights tied in to it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplantdad View Post
...No need for a heater...as by end of March our pool is already at 74 degrees...and by mid summer it can be in the high 90's!
Ours usually takes until mid-late April to get that warm... We did hit 78 degrees water temp a few weeks ago, but the last several weeks have been a little below average (mid-60's today with rain), and so the pool cooled down a bit... We actually are set up for solar, but decided it wasn't worth the cost.

There have been a few times where the temps were mid-high 90's... Not really enjoyable and refreshing IMO, but that was when we had a string of 105+ degree days... Once daily temps dropped to the 90's and nights cooled off, the pool cooled back down to the mid-80's...

Thankfully, there was no suggestion that I sell one of the Chevelles to pay for the pool... Of course, some of my "Chevelle funds" were originally funneled off (wife decided better to pay out of savings, where my Chevelle funds were, rather than take a loan) But I have recovered those funds over the past few years...

Thankfully, my wife likes to "design", but she is also very frugal, so we do a little each year, and really stick to a budget... As long as Mama's happy...

Slowly reducing the lawn size each year... Just enough for the dog, and the kids to play badminton...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	yard west.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	594408   Click image for larger version

Name:	yard north.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	594410  
Xplantdad likes this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 6:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kim

Garage

I manage about 3 to 5 pool projects a year and use one of three companies only. The reasons are-

1- most pool companies are mutts and are poorly run/managed. It is really helps to use a well run company with good workers.
2- Use a company that is very familiar with your local codes.
3- Prefer to have an on staff designer to work with the homeowner.
4- Have them deal with the building department- apply and obtain the permits, schedule inspections, apply for certificate of completion.
5- The quality of the work varies HUGELY. The companies I use are all very good in quality, upper end in price.
6- We use Pentair equipment( Jandy is now owned by the same company)
7- This is a list of regular equipment I spec- 20 x 40 pool w/ 16" bluestone coping. Any other patio work is extra.
8" shell, 14" beam. #5 rebar at bottom, #4 rebar on 5" centers t top.
Starite cartridge filter
Pentair variable pump
Starite 400 heater
Pentair auto chlor
Pentair Intelechem salt/PH management
Pentair i5 +3s control system- app and wifi enabled
Pentair Bioshield UV light protection system
7- Pentair Globrite LED colored lights with controller
Coverstar semi-auto pool cover- adds about 18K
Levlor auto fill
Pebblefina or Hydrozzo finish is very cool, but pricey 15 to 22K

usually a swim out/ martini shelf in the deep end, different configurations of steps in shallow end

the company should provide a backwash drywell, as well as truck all extra fill off premises.
Not including the Pebble finish, this pool complete and running with auto cover is between 102,000 and 110,000 depending on the site.

That's the basics. Survey costs, landscape, and patio work is extra.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 8:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Here is my advice - don't do it. It just isn't worth it. At the old house, we had a pool for 30+ years. It was exciting the first couple of summers, then use died down. After about 10 years, it rarely got used. Maintenance is a pain, plus you have to pay for all the electricity to run the pump (2 pumps if you have a pressure side cleaner like a Polaris vac sweep - which does a very good job). No pool at the new house and I couldn't be happier about it.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 8:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakkoWarner View Post
Here is my advice - don't do it. It just isn't worth it. At the old house, we had a pool for 30+ years. It was exciting the first couple of summers, then use died down. After about 10 years, it rarely got used. Maintenance is a pain, plus you have to pay for all the electricity to run the pump (2 pumps if you have a pressure side cleaner like a Polaris vac sweep - which does a very good job). No pool at the new house and I couldn't be happier about it.
Newer pools running a variable speed pump cut down costs drastically what I've read and maintenance with a salt system isn't bad. Id essential upgrade my existing solar panel system to cover the increase in useage.

It's crazy hot in Florida and with a 3.5 year old I think it'd get a good bit of use over the years.

1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Triumph TR6
1992 Acura Integra
2002 Yamaha R1
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 10:07 PM
Senior Tech Team

I'm thinking of looking into the fiberglass pools. Seems like labor would be cut dramatically. I have no clue how much they cost. I'm in the "don't do it" camp personally. I had one at my first house and spent exponentially more time maintaining it as enjoying it. But my wife and in laws want one so I suspect I have it in my future.

Jeff

`You can't beat City Hall, but you can piss on the steps."
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 11:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete View Post
I'm thinking of looking into the fiberglass pools. Seems like labor would be cut dramatically. I have no clue how much they cost. I'm in the "don't do it" camp personally. I had one at my first house and spent exponentially more time maintaining it as enjoying it. But my wife and in laws want one so I suspect I have it in my future.
If she wants one, tell her she has to pay for someone to clean and maintain it. I will never deal with a pool ever again.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in