Stories of Regret or Redemption - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 1:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage
Stories of Regret or Redemption

Any of you guys ever have a really badass car when you were younger and then sell it or trade it in on something else and regret it? Or, later on in life were you able to track down your old car or replace it with something of equal badassedness? Let's here about it.

I had a 92 Camaro in high school. It was only a 305, but it was great looking car in that bright blue. It sounded awesome. It was a pig, but it sounded like it would drag your butt down the block. I know it's not a badass car, but it was my first V8 2 door anything. I traded it in on my first and only brand new vehicle. A 2001 S-10 extended cab with the 4.3 Vortec V6 at Timmer's Chevrolet on 225 in Pasadena. It was a great little truck, but I instantly missed that V8 sound and it was just different. Now that I have my 67 SS I don't really care about tracking down that Camaro, but I do think about it from time to time when I see one going down the road. If I can find any pictures of it I'll post them. Let's hear them.

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 2:11 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac
Re: Stories of Regret or Redemption

how about a 70gtx 440 4 speed Dana project car. buddy kept the hemi 4 speed and Dana. I got the body with the air grabber hood and motor.
Regret? traded it for a Hitachi cassette deck and kenwood amp. jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 2:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
how about a 70gtx 440 4 speed Dana project car. buddy kept the hemi 4 speed and Dana. I got the body with the air grabber hood and motor.
Regret? traded it for a Hitachi cassette deck and kenwood amp. jim

No F-ing way dude. That's crazy.

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 2:29 PM
Tech Team
John

Garage

Yes...66 Chevelle Malibu...bought for $2000...sold a month later for $4000...washed it and sold it. Wish I had it. Pic attached.

68 Chevelle Malibu SS Clone...bought without motor for $3500....installed motor, drove one summer...traded car + 2000 cash for a fresh circle track motor. Circle track motor ran for about 9 more seasons, for sure got my moneys worth from the motor...But wish I had the car. Yes, that's dorky me in the pic...about 30 years ago...only pic I have of that car.

63 Impala dad has when I was a kid. I sat in it and pretended to drive. He sold it for I think $750. Cousin got it, buffed out the chalk red paint. Got the 327 in it running, broght it over to show my dad...I was sad to see it driving. Wish he'd held onto it.

Lastly, 1972 Chevelle. Sold it to buddy Dan. Dan sold it to buddy Nathan. Nathan sold it to buddy Brice. Guess who Brice sold it to? ME...got that one back. Working on it now. Pic attached.

Sometimes we make a decision, and at that time and place, it's the right one, or so we think. But we will always miss the ones we had to let go...kinda like the girl you never asked out...but wonder if she'd said yes...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-26 11.56.37.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	593644   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-26 11.57.13.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	593646   Click image for larger version

Name:	image000003.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	593648  
shovelrick and Daron Craig like this.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 2:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinbluth View Post
Yes...66 Chevelle Malibu...bought for $2000...sold a month later for $4000...washed it and sold it. Wish I had it. Pic attached.

68 Chevelle Malibu SS Clone...bought without motor for $3500....installed motor, drove one summer...traded car + 2000 cash for a fresh circle track motor. Circle track motor ran for about 9 more seasons, for sure got my moneys worth from the motor...But wish I had the car. Yes, that's dorky me in the pic...about 30 years ago...only pic I have of that car.

63 Impala dad has when I was a kid. I sat in it and pretended to drive. He sold it for I think $750. Cousin got it, buffed out the chalk red paint. Got the 327 in it running, broght it over to show my dad...I was sad to see it driving. Wish he'd held onto it.

Lastly, 1972 Chevelle. Sold it to buddy Dan. Dan sold it to buddy Nathan. Nathan sold it to buddy Brice. Guess who Brice sold it to? ME...got that one back. Working on it now. Pic attached.

Sometimes we make a decision, and at that time and place, it's the right one, or so we think. But we will always miss the ones we had to let go...kinda like the girl you never asked out...but wonder if she'd said yes...

I like that 66!

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 3:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Unfortunately, yes...

Two cars.

First, a '69 Camaro SS396 (325HP), TH400 in Frost Green with a dark green vinyl top. It was my second car bought as a senior in HS after I blew up 3 or 4 3spd transmissions in my '62 Comet station wagon (speed shifting, don'tcha know!) Dad co-signed for the $1500 loan (I wasn't even 18 yet -- early 1973.) I immediately started my Day 2 mods -- wheels, tires, headers, shift kit, etc., as fast as my $1.65 per hour Taco Bell job would allow. I wasn't overly crazy about the Frost Green paint, so I sanded her down and primed her black with the intent of a black paint job. I also pulled the motor and traded it away for a 4-bolt main big block, bought lots of speed parts, etc. Well, best laid plans and all -- parents split up, I had to move into an apartment, money got tight, so the Camaro went bye-bye. Sold it to a guy planning a drag car; never heard if he put it back together and ran it.

Few years later, needing to scratch the Camaro itch again I bought a '69 Z-28 in Fathom Green for the princely sum of $2500. Ran that car hard on the street -- bigger sway bars, better shocks & tires, etc. Spun a bearing in the DZ one hot summer day pushing the RPMs. Pulled the motor to rebuild -- bumped the compression to 11.75:1 (cut down 12 & halves), added a Pete Jackson gear drive, did some head work, etc. Got her back on the street running like a champ. Interests changed and I started going to the desert offroading with my buddies more and decided the Z wasn't a good desert/camping vehicle. Sold the Z, bought a new '78 Ford F250 to support my new found passion. Didn't end up keeping the Ford very long -- got laid off and couldn't find another job for awhile (very post Taco Bell days by now...)

And a truck (sorta).

Mid-eighties I bought a '66 Chevy C-10 with less than 20K miles. 283 and Powerslide. Decided I wanted a camper to take the wifey & kids camping, so I put one-ton suspension under her, added a big block and TH400, PS, etc. She did pretty well. Broke the big block (don't ask) and replaced it with a three-fiddy. Ended up not driving her too much and sold her to a guy I worked with. That one has mixed feelings attached; by then I was tired of working on cars because I HAD to, instead of because I wanted to. Financial picture had gotten better, so moved on to new vehicles for transportation & recreation.

So, years later, back to my youth in a way. Just picked up the SS below and don't HAVE to work on her unless I want to! LOL! I also find I must have a thing for green cars...
Daron Craig likes this.

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 3:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFortie View Post
Unfortunately, yes...

Two cars.

First, a '69 Camaro SS396 (325HP), TH400 in Frost Green with a dark green vinyl top. It was my second car bought as a senior in HS after I blew up 3 or 4 3spd transmissions in my '62 Comet station wagon (speed shifting, don'tcha know!) Dad co-signed for the $1500 loan (I wasn't even 18 yet -- early 1973.) I immediately started my Day 2 mods -- wheels, tires, headers, shift kit, etc., as fast as my $1.65 per hour Taco Bell job would allow. I wasn't overly crazy about the Frost Green paint, so I sanded her down and primed her black with the intent of a black paint job. I also pulled the motor and traded it away for a 4-bolt main big block, bought lots of speed parts, etc. Well, best laid plans and all -- parents split up, I had to move into an apartment, money got tight, so the Camaro went bye-bye. Sold it to a guy planning a drag car; never heard if he put it back together and ran it.

Few years later, needing to scratch the Camaro itch again I bought a '69 Z-28 in Fathom Green for the princely sum of $2500. Ran that car hard on the street -- bigger sway bars, better shocks & tires, etc. Spun a bearing in the DZ one hot summer day pushing the RPMs. Pulled the motor to rebuild -- bumped the compression to 11.75:1 (cut down 12 & halves), added a Pete Jackson gear drive, did some head work, etc. Got her back on the street running like a champ. Interests changed and I started going to the desert offroading with my buddies more and decided the Z wasn't a good desert/camping vehicle. Sold the Z, bought a new '78 Ford F250 to support my new found passion. Didn't end up keeping the Ford very long -- got laid off and couldn't find another job for awhile (very post Taco Bell days by now...)

And a truck (sorta).

Mid-eighties I bought a '66 Chevy C-10 with less than 20K miles. 283 and Powerslide. Decided I wanted a camper to take the wifey & kids camping, so I put one-ton suspension under her, added a big block and TH400, PS, etc. She did pretty well. Broke the big block (don't ask) and replaced it with a three-fiddy. Ended up not driving her too much and sold her to a guy I worked with. That one has mixed feelings attached; by then I was tired of working on cars because I HAD to, instead of because I wanted to. Financial picture had gotten better, so moved on to new vehicles for transportation & recreation.

So, years later, back to my youth in a way. Just picked up the SS below and don't HAVE to work on her unless I want to! LOL! I also find I must have a thing for green cars...

"They say geniuses pick green." Meet the Parents

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 4:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage

My Camaro looked just like this one. But, I'd still rather have my current Chevelle any day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Camaro.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	593654   Click image for larger version

Name:	123.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	593656   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIFD1706.jpg
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	593658   Click image for larger version

Name:	MEEB9526.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	593660  

Name:	JAON5408.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	593662   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4724.jpg
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	593664  
shovelrick and Seven2bu like this.

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 5:31 PM
Tech Team

Had a 39 ford standard coupe that i was building with a 302 chevy and a 4 speed. man that car would run. Traded it for a professionally built sand rail with trailer. Had fun with it but regret trading. I still see it from time to time at the local car shows.

1970 LS6, unrestored, 4 speed,special ordered orange

1972 Nova, 557ci, Legend 5 speed, FiTech EFI 8, lemons Headers, 723hp/690tq
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 6:55 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Many regrets for getting rid of vehicles, a 28 Model A roadster, 39 Chevy coupe with a 350 small block, my first Chevelle, a 300 horse 69 Malibu, a 52 Mercury convertible and too many others to list.

Most current regret is converting my 70 Malibu convertible to a LS5 clone.
If I had know that I would never be able to finish it, I would never have torn it down and spent over $15,000.00 on it.
blue_69_malibu likes this.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 7:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bart

Garage

17 years old (summer of 1975) and I bought my first car, 69 Mustang Mach I. Yes I miss it.
I smashed it up on a cold winter day in a snowstorm, about two years later. Only had it that short time and I have more memories with that car than any other I ever had, including the Chevelle I have had for 15 years.

69SS Daytona yellow
L35, M-20, 3.73

"AC's 2 by 75...... you roll'em down & drive

"Time treats everybody like a fool"
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 7:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

I completely regret selling my 1975 Vega station wagon and my 1978 Chevette...............NOT!!
blue_69_malibu and shovelrick like this.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q61TTYXmIsc

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFm_ISn_UDA
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 9:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Where to even start on my regrettable sales/trades, 67 327 3 spd changed to 4 spd camaro that was mine when I was 15 that my dad (RIP) sold to his buddy, 57 Ranchero, 66 Comet covt., 66 Fairlane GT 390 auto, 73 340 4 spd Duster, 69 383 4 spd Roadrunner, 71 383 4 sps Cuda, 68 & 69 GT Torinos, that's just getting in to the early 80's but I'm feeling sick now

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 9:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakkoWarner View Post
I completely regret selling my 1975 Vega station wagon and my 1978 Chevette...............NOT!!
I do miss the 1980 Monza I got rid of. It was a "Towne Coupe" (trunk car, not hatchback) red with vinyl. It had around 20,000 miles and was loaded with luxury items like cloth seats, and power steering and power brakes. It was a 4 cylinder 151ci, and we put the 327 from the El Camino in it after we freshened it up, and a tilt column, Formula Sunbird Pontiac performance front bar, and Monza IMSA Spyder rear bar. We used the manifolds from the IMSA Spyder on the 1967 327 to get it in there. We actually put all the emissions stuff from the 305 Sypder engine on the 327, looked stock (and was pretty close to it actually). Ran and drove like a dream. When my dad moved to Las Vegas in 1999, he couldn't take it, and I couldn't keep it for long with all the other stuff at my house and 3 small kids... So I sold it cheap, and still miss it.
We had the hood louvered as well, and the hood bump opened like a scoop. I don't even have a final picture of it. This is what it looked like when we first got it. It was well over 10 years old and only had 19,000 miles on it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MONZA.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	593702   Click image for larger version

Name:	MONZA-R.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	593704   Click image for larger version

Name:	MONZA-F.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	593706  

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 1:01 AM
Tech Team
Rich

I was 17 and bought a 1957 Chevy Bel Air 2 door hardtop Sport Coupe for $550. Matador red. I caught the front seat on fire from smoking between class at school and didn't notice the seat had got a live ash . Came back in an hour and it was totally smoked inside. I was able to drive it home after hosing it out. Sold it cheap for $250. It seemed ruined to me at that time. Wish I had it now. I would happily redo the entire interior. Can't keep em all.
This one and about 12 other cars . They used to all be cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in