cell phones and driving. - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 10:31 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Re: cell phones and driving.

So its pretty clear. Why don't they stop the madness? Who is driving this ignorance of a very clear violation of safety and common sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

I'm sure the cell phone industry "donates" a lot of money to all political candidates and parties. jim
streetperf likes this.

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 12:11 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Redneck View Post
I've said it before, I'll say it again. All these new vehicles coming out that almost every function you need the car to perform, like heat, lights, ect has to be activated with a touch screen on the dash. We're trying to eliminate distracted driving but the auto manufacturers are installing a damn laptop in the middle of the dash. Insanity I tells ya.
Exactly -- and how many "screens" do you have to scroll through to get to the functions you need?

WHAT'S SO WRONG ABOUT A PHYSICAL BUTTON OR SWITCH?

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 12:18 AM
Tech Team
Richard

I've spent thousands on my cars, the newest of which is a 1990 PU I look forward to getting rid of as it's just too new.
I've spent less than $50.00 purchasing three cell phones over the past five years, PRIORITIES!

Every day on the way to work I see another rolled late-model whats'it (was it?) at the tow yard.
Most of them are single vehicle crashes on our local very rural roads, the two-lane kind with occasional gentle bends in them.
According to the NHP guys and tow drivers I've spoken to nearly all of them involve texting while driving.
The anti-texting PSA's on the radio are so incessant I've given up on the radio.
But the carnage continues.

At these gas prices I want it 100+ octane, leaded, and my windshield washed!
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 3:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
Kev

I get a mite annoyed when the morons park in the middle of the road so they can concentrate on playing phone. Must not...
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 7:15 AM
Tech Team
Rob

Garage

Exactly what Jim said,,, its all about the mighty $$$ and all the kick backs businesses and politicians get.

With technology theses days you would think it would be all voice command. That way no need for it to be in your hands and eyes stay on the road. You see commercials for homes with voice activaton , temperature , lights etc.

I can also see with young kids today they live on these devices always in there mit. 10- 15 years from now it will be intresting how many need glasses from eye strain on a small screen and have arthritis in there hands and neck. I dont even want to know what the wi-fi waves are doing , I could be wrong but prolonged exposure to anything usually isnt good

cheers
Rob
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 10:22 AM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454chevSS View Post

I can also see with young kids today they live on these devices always in there mit. 10- 15 years from now it will be intresting how many need glasses from eye strain on a small screen and have arthritis in there hands and neck. I dont even want to know what the wi-fi waves are doing , I could be wrong but prolonged exposure to anything usually isnt good

cheers
Rob
And dont forget, overweight.
streetperf likes this.
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 10:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Pfft,

You should see what your nearest military convoy commander has to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 10:36 AM
Team Member

I dont see handfree being any less distracting then just holding the phone. And would fully support major increases in fines for texting, including up to car impoundment. They do that here for major speed infractions and not sure why it should be considered more dangerous. They both make the road more unsafe for the rest of us.
streetperf and 68-13427 like this.

Dunc

'Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you' - unknown
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 11:30 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

But at least they don't have to take their eyes off the road with "hands free"

post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 11:35 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by any4xx View Post
Iím only 59, but sad to say I gave up motorcycling a few years ago for the same reasons. So many close calls that I couldnít find any joy in it any longer. I spent every minute worrying about every car within sight mowing me down.
Saw it happen just the other day...the age old driver cutting in front of an oncoming motorcycle at an intersection. Biker had the right of way and some doofus turned to cross the bikers path. BANG the bike hit the car crossing his path. I got there just after the biker was removed from the accident scene. All that remained was the wrecked bike and the damaged car. It was not a pretty picture.

The phones are a very serious issue. Everything has been said already about that problem. Bill K has it right..special ring tone and pull over when that sound is heard on an incoming call. Everything else can wait.

I live near a high school and I see the addiction every time I drive by at dismissal time. They J walk with the goddamn ear buds shoved in or text while walking. Is it any wonder they grow up addicted and can't stop when they start driving/ There are two lanes near the local school, it is on a secondary road, and there are cops directing traffic. One day I was sitting there awaiting the go ahead from the cop. I was in the lane farthest away from the sidewalk the dopey kid SHOULD have been on. He walked right out texting about who knows what maybe the latest pimple he noticed that morning? I let him walk right in front of my car and leaned on the horn. Scared the hell outta Lttle Johnnie, bet the first think he did was change his shorts when he got home.
TerryAT, shovelrick and streetperf like this.
post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 12:42 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

I've got my Iphone set to "Do not disturb while driving".
Any calls can wait...I'm busy.

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 12:59 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pduncan View Post
I dont see handfree being any less distracting then just holding the phone. And would fully support major increases in fines for texting, including up to car impoundment. They do that here for major speed infractions and not sure why it should be considered more dangerous. They both make the road more unsafe for the rest of us.
I don't believe increases in fines would be a detergent at all. What is a fine/costs for driving while impaired? $5K and the loss of ones driving privileges? That seems steep but many do it without the least bit of apprehension. To defeat the problem the device has to be made incapable of use in a moving vehicle. The only thing that stops many repeat dui offenders in a device that makes them blow into a tube to start their car.
I know in my Tacoma it will not allow one to dial a number (via the screen) while vehicle is in motion. Ditto for most gps map systems.
If devices were made not usable while in motion there would be a lot of unjustified bitching and grumbling but soon people would get over it.
TerryAT, shovelrick and streetperf like this.
post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 1:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

To me "hands free" is also "eyes off your hands while typing, and reading replies" Using a phone (AS A PHONE) in a car is no different than using a CB, and with hands free, is no different than talking to a passenger.
I know of several people that had minor to major wrecks in the 1990s due to pagers!

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 10:34 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Garage

I use to see that in Phoenix over 13 years ago all the time on the way to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in