cell phones and driving. - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 11:32 AM
Tech Team
Red

Re: cell phones and driving.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. All these new vehicles coming out that almost every function you need the car to perform, like heat, lights, ect has to be activated with a touch screen on the dash. We're trying to eliminate distracted driving but the auto manufacturers are installing a damn laptop in the middle of the dash. Insanity I tells ya.

Sometimes a man's got to do what a woman would never consider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 11:50 AM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6426yy View Post
What if you're just a passenger in the car? Would all phones be disabled? I agree something needs to be done. .
If a call is so important, (which 99% aren't), the driver can pull over. Too bad for the kids. They can look out the car window and seen whats going on in the real world! You'll learn where you are and road names become familiar and your brain is taking it in, so you dont have to rely on GPS to go 2 blocks away! I once was talking to my daughter and mentioned a local road , and she had no idea what I was referring to. I said its the same road you take to get to your job!.I said, what if you broke down and called me for help? You couldnt even give me the street you were on. Saying,'Im near a white house, next to a fire plug" wont help me.(UGHH) We didnt need all this phone bs when we grew up. We used our heads, which most have a brain in them, to know where we were going. I understand that GPS can help while traveling on vacation, but its not foolproof either.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 11:54 AM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Quote:
What if you're just a passenger in the car? Would all phones be disabled? I agree something needs to be done. I feel that any new driver that gets a moving violation should lose their privileges for at least a year, the same for everyone else who are repeat offenders. Cops also have to be held at the same standard but we all know how that works. I was T boned by a 17yo 11 years ago on my Harley. I've got plates and pins in my jaw, humerus, femur and tibia. I've got aches and pains all day every day. The driver.....a $125 ticket.
Sorry to hear what happened to you. But its usually the innocent one who gets the bad end of the stick.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 12:21 PM
TKG
Tech Team
Terry

Quote:
What if you're just a passenger in the car? Would all phones be disabled? I agree something needs to be done. .
So your an ProDriver and your hauling some CEO who is on the phone in the backseat, thats one thing.
If your 17 years old and your GF is on the phone in the front seat, do you think shes going to be quiet or is she yammering away at you causing distracted drivering

TKG
64 Malibu Coupe
283, Fitech
2004r, 4w discs
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 12:50 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Before no driving and cell phoning became a law, people could hold the phone up and keep one eye on the road, so now they have to keep the phone down, out of sight and take both eyes off the road, looking down.
DJsSS likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 1:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Before no driving and cell phoning became a law, people could hold the phone up and keep one eye on the road, so now they have to keep the phone down, out of sight and take both eyes off the road, looking down.
Exactly! At least in those days you could keep looking toward the road. Yet another unintended consequence of the law.

For clarification, in CA, ALL government employees are exempt from the cell phone law. Amazing, huh? The street crew guys are much better drivers than us mere mortals and can text away while driving.
streetperf likes this.
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 2:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

I can send and receive txt messages from the built in system in 2 of my cars. It is MUCH safer than touching the phone. You can only choose preset outgoing messages, and you do it all via voice if moving, and it reads the txts out to you. If stopped, you can read them on the screen and touch your reply. I don't have near as much problem with people talking on the phone, but the txting/typing/staring at it infuriates me. I am that guy that screams at people in traffic "PUT YOUR DAMN PHONE DOWN AND DRIVE". I will say it is by far the young girls that do it the most. I see it in rush hour traffic every day. What I can't fathom is how they have that much to say, and that there is actually someone else that wants to hear/read it. I can even answer phone calls (and place them, but I never do) from the Retrosound in my El Camino. The tech is there so that nobody ever has to touch the damned things while driving a car.
streetperf likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 2:20 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
What if you're just a passenger in the car? Would all phones be disabled?

Sure, why not ??? There is nothing that important that it cant wait till you stop somewhere. I love my phone as much as anyone else but I simply will not use it when driving. I have a separate ring and text tone for when my Wife calls so I know its her. If I hear that ring I find a place to stop and then give her a shout.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 5:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Aside from phones, I would like to see motor vehicles return to the simplicity of yesterday. The government mandates all this safety bullcrap to prevent stupid drivers from doing stupid things. Then the car manufacturers add all this additional stupid internet based crap to distract the already stupid driver into doing different stupid things. Its not just phones.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 7:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
Aside from phones, I would like to see motor vehicles return to the simplicity of yesterday. The government mandates all this safety bullcrap to prevent stupid drivers from doing stupid things. Then the car manufacturers add all this additional stupid internet based crap to distract the already stupid driver into doing different stupid things. Its not just phones.
Also, get rid of the reverse lights coming on when they park their car! I pull into a crowded shopping plaza and am always ready to slam the brakes thinking someones backing out, when all they are doing is locking it up and walking to the curb
Pioneer4x4 and streetperf like this.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 7:41 PM
Tech Team
Richard

Quote:
What if you're just a passenger in the car? Would all phones be disabled? I agree something needs to be done. I feel that any new driver that gets a moving violation should lose their privileges for at least a year, the same for everyone else who are repeat offenders. Cops also have to be held at the same standard but we all know how that works. I was T boned by a 17yo 11 years ago on my Harley. I've got plates and pins in my jaw, humerus, femur and tibia. I've got aches and pains all day every day. The driver.....a $125 ticket.
I'm 69 years old. I gave up riding a couple of years ago because of too many close calls. The straw that broke the camels back, I was riding home from work on the Interstate doing 65 in the right lane. Everyone else was passing me on the left. I wasn't going fast enough for the young man behind me. He passed me on the right, on the shoulder of the road, all the time both thumbs texting as fast as he could. I decided right then if I had to get hit I was at least going to have a little sheet metal around me.

I hate that too because I love to ride. Its just not worth the chance.

Richard
boyd66k20 and Tophog like this.

65 Chevelle SS Convertible 350 4 speed Muncie...hopefully complete in another year or so
65 Chevelle SS hardtop 396, 4 speed
65 Chevelle Malibu Convertible, 350/TH350
64 Chevelle Malibu 2dr hardtop
64 Chevelle SS, 350/450hp, Muncie M21
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 7:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
I'm 69 years old. I gave up riding a couple of years ago because of too many close calls. The straw that broke the camels back, I was riding home from work on the Interstate doing 65 in the right lane. Everyone else was passing me on the left. I wasn't going fast enough for the young man behind me. He passed me on the right, on the shoulder of the road, all the time both thumbs texting as fast as he could. I decided right then if I had to get hit I was at least going to have a little sheet metal around me.

I hate that too because I love to ride. Its just not worth the chance.

Richard
Iím only 59, but sad to say I gave up motorcycling a few years ago for the same reasons. So many close calls that I couldnít find any joy in it any longer. I spent every minute worrying about every car within sight mowing me down.
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 8:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

The brain is a weird organ. We tool down the highway listening to the stereo no problem. Texting on the road requires concentration, and even just talking on the phone requires a level of focus that takes my attention away from traffic. I'm convinced cell phone usage is more deadly than driving drunk.
Young women seem to be the worst offenders for distracted driving. I passed a young lady on the interstate during rush hour who had a novel propped on her steering wheel, the only reason I noticed is because she was all over the road.
I followed a woman recently who apparently only had time to get dressed for work, because she did her makeup and hair on the highway.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 9:23 PM
Senior Tech Team
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnugene View Post
The brain is a weird organ. We tool down the highway listening to the stereo no problem. Texting on the road requires concentration, and even just talking on the phone requires a level of focus that takes my attention away from traffic. I'm convinced cell phone usage is more deadly than driving drunk.
Young women seem to be the worst offenders for distracted driving. I passed a young lady on the interstate during rush hour who had a novel propped on her steering wheel, the only reason I noticed is because she was all over the road.
I followed a woman recently who apparently only had time to get dressed for work, because she did her makeup and hair on the highway.
At least you were behind her...she couldn't run into you that way!
pnugene likes this.
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

I think they did a episode on myth busters
they put them in a car talking on a phone, asking them math questions. It was pretty obvious they cant compute and drive at the same time. jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in