Painting Idea, House Not Car - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 1:32 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Painting Idea, House Not Car

So I am planning on painting the Aluminum siding on my house. Have ordered a 32 ft ladder and a ladder stabilizer (link below). Got a couple areas as high as 27 ft off the ground.
So as I am trying to think this out I began to wonder what to do with the paint container, roller and brushes while I am up at my working height. Most I have seen have suggested hanging a paint bucket via a hook off of the ladder or the stabilizer. Seems to me that the hook itself would complicate getting the paint out of the container as it would come to rest directly over the center of the container or there is one that hangs off the side of the ladder.
Well I got to thinking why not cut a piece of thin plywood (1/4 or 3/8) that conforms to the stabilizer and just wire it to the top of the stabilizer which would basically give me a platform (approx 40 inch x 10 inch) to set all my stuff on that is right in front of me. I believe the stabilizer can range from 30 inch wide to 65 inch wide and is 12 inches deep. HAve not seen this mentioned anywhere. Did someone just not think of this or is there a flaw in my plan?

https://www.zoro.com/werner-stabiliz...7p/i/G7469104/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 1:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
bob

Re: Painting Idea, House Not Car

I would brush the siding with a good Prudy 3" or 4" brush out of a 1 gallon with the rim cut out. I like the Nylox sprig or swan brush for latex paint. As for the paint hook this is what you need. You hang it on the rung of the ladder so the pot hangs of the side, this will leave a lot of room for your brush.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Warner-Pain...ook/1000024757

https://www.purdy.com/products/brushes/nylox
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 2:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

$77 for the stablizer? This ones cheaper https://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-U...AC96/100658403
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 2:39 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAT View Post
$77 for the stablizer? This ones cheaper https://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-U...AC96/100658403
Yes it is cheaper but it won't span a window with a shutter on either side, which I will need that capability. Also the more expensive stabilizer has a 12 inch standoff and the above is only 10 inch. Which would make painting soffit which is 25 feet up a little easier.
I will definately need some brushes but was thinking a 4 or 6 inch roller would be faster/ easier to paint all the flat portions of the siding. Is that not so?
Also I am purchasing the main color in 5 gallon container, so would the one gallon plastic buckets be the way to go?
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 5:01 PM
Levon

Wink Re: Painting Idea, House Not Car

Brad you are braver than me.
I wouldn't think twice about hiring a painting company

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White (Bone Stock)
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed. SOLD
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting
1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis, Ab. Canada

My Showroom
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 5:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

How are you going to have a paint tray for a roller up on a ladder? You can only use a brush with the paint bucket hanging on the ladder.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 5:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
So I am planning on painting the Aluminum siding on my house. Have ordered a 32 ft ladder and a ladder stabilizer (link below). Got a couple areas as high as 27 ft off the ground.

Well I got to thinking why not cut a piece of thin plywood (1/4 or 3/8) that conforms to the stabilizer and just wire it to the top of the stabilizer which would basically give me a platform (approx 40 inch x 10 inch) to set all my stuff on that is right in front of me. I believe the stabilizer can range from 30 inch wide to 65 inch wide and is 12 inches deep. HAve not seen this mentioned anywhere. Did someone just not think of this or is there a flaw in my plan?

]
I dont like this idea. First of all your 32 ft ladder extended up to 27 feet will be a little bouncey with the smallest movements up there. I definetly wouldnt want to be fussing around with both hands either. One hand would always be holding the ladder. Maybe if I were way lower, I might try your "table" idea, but not at the top.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 6:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Have you considered renting a man lift. You could knock out all the higher stuff with it and get the lower after you return it. It cost me around $300 for a weekend.
von and pnugene like this.

Ed C.
-------------------------
70 SS L34 Auto project
57 Belair hardtop project
Always looking
-------------------------
There's nothing in this hobby I won't try at least once.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 8:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCarpenter View Post
Have you considered renting a man lift. You could knock out all the higher stuff with it and get the lower after you return it. It cost me around $300 for a weekend.
That's the only way I'd do it. While you're at it, rent a pressure washer and take care of all your high work.
pnugene likes this.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 11:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCarpenter View Post
^^Maybe it's my advanced age, but I'm not hanging off any ladder that high trying to paint. Man-lift is much safer and the platform solves the bucket issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
That's the only way I'd do it. While you're at it, rent a pressure washer and take care of all your high work.
^^I have a lift reserved for next week to pressure wash the Alabama mold off the north side of the house. JoMax and bleach solution in a garden sprayer loosens the crud, PW rinses it all off.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 1:02 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevonH View Post
Brad you are braver than me.
I wouldn't think twice about hiring a painting company
Me neither...does not take much of a fall to cause permanent disabling injury. 20 feet up might as well be stratosphere IMO.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 1:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Yes it is cheaper but it won't span a window with a shutter on either side, which I will need that capability. Also the more expensive stabilizer has a 12 inch standoff and the above is only 10 inch. Which would make painting soffit which is 25 feet up a little easier.
I will definately need some brushes but was thinking a 4 or 6 inch roller would be faster/ easier to paint all the flat portions of the siding. Is that not so?
Also I am purchasing the main color in 5 gallon container, so would the one gallon plastic buckets be the way to go?
I like to use the 2-gallon buckets with a 7" roller and frame... But I have never seen those at my Home Depot or Lowe's (the roller, covers, and screen), just dedicated paint stores like Kelly Moore or Sherwin Williams... The 2 gallon buckets are carried at HD and Lowes. A 6" roller will be tight with the 1 gallon... Of course, I only put about 1 gallon in the 2-gal bucket, leaves room for sloshing, etc...

Personally, I'd roll out a small section, and then "lay it off" with the brush, also getting any areas missed by the roller, and then brushing any drips...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker Sold
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 2:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAT View Post
How are you going to have a paint tray for a roller up on a ladder? You can only use a brush with the paint bucket hanging on the ladder.
Use a 2-gallon bucket with a roller and screen, no "tray" needed... its faster than using a tray too...

Here's a good video showing the technique

Hanging the bucket would make it a bit more difficult, but probably still doable...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker Sold
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 8:47 AM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

I considered renting a lift. But they are $400.00 a day for an engine/diesel powered lift. However there are several drawbacks to a lift. First is how to get it from the rental to the job, I have a 4 cyl Tacoma with no hitch. Second is they are jerky when operating. We have them at work so I know this first hand. Also what happens when it starts raining 2 hours after you rent the lift. Dont think they are going to refund your money because it rained.
Decided a ladder was the way to go. I have also acquired a stabilizer and a ladder leveler.
It is true it is possible to fall and become injured but with proper use and a little common sense it is perfectly safe. Autombiles, power saws, electricity, guns, lawnmowers, chemicals are all dangerous and even fatal when used carelessly but are used without any harmful effects daily by millions and then there are those that are hurt daily by these items and many others. Take precautions and pay attention and ladders are no more dangerous than any other tool.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 10:06 AM
SFD
Tech Team
Steve

Garage
You want the tow behind. It’s light enough to move by hand in the back yard or use a ride on mower to move it. Sunbelt rentals - usually one nearby.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2D0B32A6-41BD-427A-AA87-AEEEE1BBE21F_1557583570178.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	593466  

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in