Something Of Interest To Some - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

6Likes
  • 3 Post By Dean
  • 1 Post By 69SS454
  • 2 Post By Dean

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old May 1st, 19, 4:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Something Of Interest To Some

Checking tire pressure on my granddaughter's Kia and the metal caps were very tight so I had to use the pliers to get them off.
One was too tight and twisted off the top of the pressure sensor.

Dissimilar metals corroded

The guy at the tire store said it happens almost every day.

Anyway, just FYI, the metal caps need to be replaced with plastic caps to avoid a costly replacement of the sensors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dean; Jun 13th, 19 at 11:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old May 1st, 19, 4:48 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage
Re: Something Of Interest To Some

That's crazy. When we bought a new Honda Accord last year and it had plastic caps. Two of the four were broke sitting on the dealer's lot. The top of the cap was just popped off. The salesman stole some from another car. Since then, I have had to replace two more. When did valve stem caps become such a problem?! Maybe just stick with the metal caps and a bit of anti-seize.
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old May 1st, 19, 6:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Anti-seize would probably work but plastic caps is much simpler, they won't corrode.
LeoP and mino65 like this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 1st, 19, 6:08 PM
Tech Team
John

Dean, how much did the pressure sensor set you back? It ridiculous that the mfg doesn’t understand dissimilar metal corrosion…
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 1st, 19, 7:11 PM
Tech Team

When I worked for Hyundai and Kia I tossed those caps in the garbage. Makes for some unhappy customers.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 1st, 19, 8:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJohn View Post
Dean, how much did the pressure sensor set you back? It ridiculous that the mfg doesn’t understand dissimilar metal corrosion…
I just put a regular old school rubber stem in.
She's going to have the Kia dealer do it when she takes it back for the check up and oil change of the new motor they just put in.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 1st, 19, 10:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I just put a regular old school rubber stem in.
I believe that's "vehicular tampering"... you're quite lucky the black suit/sunglasses are up to their ears in political probing or they'd be dropping their helo on your front lawn.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 19, 2:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
I believe that's "vehicular tampering"... you're quite lucky the black suit/sunglasses are up to their ears in political probing or they'd be dropping their helo on your front lawn.
Since I can't do those wheels on my old tire machine, Walmart did it.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 19, 4:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

How about this tire sensor story: I drive a 6.2 -2010-1/2 ton Silverado. My tires are worn out, So I buy four NEW take/off tire & Wheels from a 2016 Silverado.
The tire shop bolts the new tires & Wheels to my truck, Pay the bill, Then head home. Holy Poop, My trucks dash is lighting up like a pin ball machine.
Keep going and the truck is having a freeken FIT !
A phone call to the Dealer K. Ross Chevrolet, Pointed me it the right direction. This was a free fix at the dealer. PROBLEM WAS.
The FOUR new 2016 tires & Wheels were sending ( sensor signals ) to the dash,, AND the FOUR 2010 Tires & Wheels ( that are in the bed of the truck) were also sending ( sensor signals ) to the dash.
The poor old computer could not figger out,,, What the hell is going on??? Why it was getting EIGHT signals. Everything on the dash was blinking ... So the computer took a HISSY FIT !.........
Its funny now, But not funny while driving.
Bob

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 19, 5:23 PM
Gold Member
Gene

It must be a location thing. I've had the same metal caps on my 370Z for 10 years in southern Arizona, without a problem. The first time I had tires changed, they "rebuilt" the TMPS sensors and replaces the steel caps with plastic grey ones. I had them put the steel ones back on.

68 SS396
Team Chevelle Gold #14
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 19, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene McGill View Post
It must be a location thing. I've had the same metal caps on my 370Z for 10 years in southern Arizona, without a problem. The first time I had tires changed, they "rebuilt" the TMPS sensors and replaces the steel caps with plastic grey ones. I had them put the steel ones back on.
Maybe not much salt gets put on your roads.
--

The Kia dealer put a new sensor in today, it came with a plastic cap.
$70.00 for labor and $60.?? for the sensor.
Seems like a lot of labor to pull a wheel, break it down and put it back on.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old May 6th, 19, 1:28 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Another thing to remember with those is the core. They are aluminum everything to help with balancing. You need an aluminum core in an aluminum valve body. And yes, ALWAYS keep them capped, especially in the salt areas.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 8:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

I've had valve cores stick in the TPMS sensors before. I just drill a hole in the tire and hope the tires catches the bead with no a lot of air pressure.

Couple of junkers and a few clunkers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in