Everyone has a Story. What's yours? (no racing in the streets) - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

178Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 116 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage
Everyone has a Story. What's yours? (no racing in the streets)

Let's hear car show stories, offers to buy your cars, times maybe you bought a car at a show / swap meet / classified ad / or dealership (old school), stupid comments made about your car, compliments paid to you or you car, funny stories about any antics you got up to in your cars, and just any entertaining stories relevant to our old school rides. I'll be sure to chime in if this thread gets any traction.

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 11:54 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
re: Everyone has a Story. What's yours? (no racing in the streets)

Had a guy offer to buy my 69 at a cruise-in offer me $60,000.00

Drug dealers that are car guys with more cash than they can spend will give a lot more than a car is worth.
post #3 of 116 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 12:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tim

I had a 1973 Buick Riviera back in 1979 and had the original owner stop at the place I worked at and wanted to buy the car back.
He said he used to bring his son to Boston Hospital for some sort of treatment and his son died and he wanted the car for sentimental reason. I kinda didn't believe him.
I think he said he got my name from the dealership he traded the car at? I told him no thanks but,if I were to sell it I would let him know.I only had the car for about 2 years.
Loved that car.
Daron Craig likes this.

post #4 of 116 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 12:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

I haven't had many try to buy mine, but I do enjoy watching the reactions of some of the old guys walk off stomping their feet in anger when they see an LS engine.

I was at a show several years back and there weren't many cars there yet, so I spent more time looking at some that I normally would walk by, and some of the other people were doing the same. I overheard an old guy bitching about the big wheels on a car, and how he couldn't wait for that "fad" to be over and how eventually everyone would go back to using 15s. The car he was complaining about was a brand new ~2008 Z06 Corvette with stock 18/19" wheels that the local Chevy dealer sponsoring the show had by their tent.
71350SS and Daron Craig like this.
post #5 of 116 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 1:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I had a guy come up to me at a show once and say "how can you drag race such a nice car?" I said "I don't know,I'll have to ask my friend who races his 1970 Hemi Cuda the same thing"
post #6 of 116 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 1:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

In the late fall of 1972 I came across an Aztec Bronze/Bronze interior 1966 L78/4 Spd SS Chevelle at Kluge Chevrolet in Bremerton, WA. Asking price was $1,400 and the car was supposed to have a recently rebuilt/balanced/blueprinted engine with a 1st series L88 camshaft. The car sounded ornery but would not rev past 2,500 RPM, and it popped back through the carburetor. I offered the dealer $800 and they sold it to me.

I proceded to check compression, valve timing, distributor timing and about everything else I knew to do (I was 20) but to no avail. So I brought the car into a small shop owned by Tom Fox of Bremerton's Fox racing family. Tom ran the distributor on his Sun machine and checked a few other things before the light went on. He's said we needed to get down in the pit under the car and drop the exhaust pipes from the manifolds, which we did. He then instructed me to back the car out and take it up the street. I did as he said and when I punched it the car went sideways and up the street so fast it about tore my head off. I came back all smiles and asked what had happened. He said many exhaust pipe manufacturers built double pipes, one inside the other, and that my inner pipe was probably squished. He said he had seen this one time before, on a '57 Pontiac. He then asked me if he could try the car out. I said sure and he too punched it sideways in the late November darkness of Park Avenue in old Bremerton. He confirmed when he returned that the car was very fast.

And sure enough, when I cut those almost new exhaust pipes open, both of them contained flattened inner pipes.
post #7 of 116 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 1:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
Krister

Two 30ish "green car guys" walking through cars at local Cruise Night, trying to call out years, makes and models of the cars they passed before the other one did. What helped them was license plates with the year in it and name badges. They come to mine "it's a '66", my plate is 66 POWR, make and model they are stumped. Until one guy walks to the rear quarter and says "it's a '66 Super Sport" as he reads the badge. I guess make and model didn't matter on mine.

Krister
'66 SS, L34, 4spd (M21), 3.73 posi, #'s Matching, G 5C
- like I would have ordered, but I was 2
post #8 of 116 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 1:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krister View Post
Two 30ish "green car guys" walking through cars at local Cruise Night, trying to call out years, makes and models of the cars they passed before the other one did. What helped them was license plates with the year in it and name badges. They come to mine "it's a '66", my plate is 66 POWR, make and model they are stumped. Until one guy walks to the rear quarter and says "it's a '66 Super Sport" as he reads the badge. I guess make and model didn't matter on mine.
One day...perhaps sooner than we think...we may all be hoping/trying to sell our beautiful Chevelles and El Camino to guys like that.
HKalin and Oldcarsnbikes like this.
post #9 of 116 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 1:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

(about 20 years ago now) I was out for an evening drive in my 69 elcamino- driving through a semi residential area- heading down a hill, heading up a steep hill on the other side of a really wide intersection 4 lanes, plus 2 turnlanes at the bottom.

As i'm cruising through the middle of the intersection, the light turns yellow so I punch it, which downshifted- that car had a really violent shift kit in it and when it upshifted it barked the tires quite loudly and of course I rocketed right up the hill on the otherside.... Right in front of a police car that was turning right.

Of course the guy whips out behind me, lights come on. I pull over into an empty parking lot, and I'm sweating bullets because i know damn well I was going too fast, the car was extra loud because of the hill, and the barked tires...

Officer gets out, very slowly walks around the car, passenger side first around the front and back to me. Proceeds to just ask me questions about the car. After a few mins talking and checking out the car, he says... Cool- have a nice evening!

Never been more freaked out, or pleasantly surprised than that.
I've been pulled over many times, had some tickets, avoided others- but that one time sticks in my mind.
post #10 of 116 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 2:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Arrow re: Everyone has a Story. What's yours? (no racing in the streets)

About 6 years ago, I was at a local but big car show with my '71. There were several Chevelles but there was this guy who owned a nice red '70 who started chatting with me… He said that he looked at my car, found it "beautiful" BUT "something was too bad" though… I asked him what's wrong with it??… He replied "It's a '71"...…Yeah, sure... like if that was all I could find… I replied to him "So what??"…He said that it would be worth a lot more if it was a '70!… I said to myself f**k him… I just explained to him that if I wanted a '70 I simply would've bought one, but I WANTED A '71…that's what the guy didn't understand… F***N Jerk...

Claude.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #11 of 116 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 2:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastforyou View Post
About 6 years ago, I was at a local but big car show with my '71. There were several Chevelles but there was this guy who owned a nice red '70 who started chatting with me… He said that he looked at my car, found it "beautiful" BUT "something was too bad" though… I asked him what's wrong with it??… He replied "It's a '71"...…Yeah, sure... like if that was all I could find… I replied to him "So what??"…He said that it would be worth a lot more if it was a '70!… I said to myself f**k him… I just explained to him that if I wanted a '70 I simply would've bought one, but I WANTED A '71…that's what the guy didn't understand… F***N Jerk...

Claude.
There is always "that guy" right? You should've done this or it'd be better if it was that. Most of them don't even have a car of their own anyways.
shovelrick likes this.

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed
post #12 of 116 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 2:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage

So here is one of mine. About 2 years ago I was in my 67 SS. 427 4 speed, electronic cutouts right after each header. I was cruising down Spencer on a Friday I was off. So, I went to the HEB gas station and had a few guys complimenting my car and an older guy walks up with his grandson and was talking about how he had a GTO when these big block chevelles came out and how they would run off and leave his GTO. He asked if I would get on it a little when I pulled out. So.....I opened up the cutouts and laid rubber for most of 1st gear. When I let off and some of the smoke started to clear up from behind me I saw a la porte police car. I was like S___T! Here we go. He pulled up next to me and just blipped his lights and took off. Just giving me a "Don't do that again." warning. Got off easy that time I guess.

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed
post #13 of 116 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 2:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daron Craig View Post
There is always "that guy" right? You should've done this or it'd be better if it was that. Most of them don't even have a car of their own anyways.
Yep, that sums it up a good bit. I don't talk a lot to people about my cars when at a cruise, I find something unusual and talk to them about theirs.
123pugsy likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #14 of 116 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 2:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage

My most recent one. Was driving the 67 through old la porte. Just turned off broadway and the speed limit was 30 mph. I had the cutouts open and this single cab truck pulls up next to me and starts revving. I just looked over, and pushed in the clutch and gave a couple of quick big block revs back. He said, "Is that old piece of s___t fast?" I said "No, but you've got me thinking about selling this thing and buying about 12 of those trucks like yours." and I started laughing. He was SUPER PISSED. He nailed it and took off. Ran the next light. I just sat there laughing shaking my head.

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed
post #15 of 116 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 2:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
Yep, that sums it up a good bit. I don't talk a lot to people about my cars when at a cruise, I find something unusual and talk to them about theirs.
Me too. I usually try to set up my pop up near my car, but not too near so no one will walk back and start asking me questions. Just close enough so I can keep an eye on it. If I see someone who seems like they like the car or they are showing it to a kid or a grandkid I'll walk up and tell them to hop in and check it out, but otherwise I just hang back and watch.
Saltherring likes this.

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in