Everyone has a Story. What's yours? (no racing in the streets) - Page 8 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

179Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #106 of 117 (permalink) Old May 9th, 19, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage
Re: Everyone has a Story. What's yours? (no racing in the streets)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 SS L78 View Post
One more story. It also involved my yellow 69 Z/28 (I've owned it since 1981). The U-joint went and I called for a tow home. It was in the early 2000s and I was living in Florida then.

The driver loaded up the car and I jumped in the cab. He said he used to do a lot of street racing "for pink slips" and his car had never been beat. He explained it was a 1969 GTO Judge with a 440 in it. I asked if he meant 400 or even a transplanted 455. He said no a 440 and explained he knew it was a Mopar motor but it was installed "at the factory". He swore up and down that this was the original engine. Nevermind how a Mopar 440 would end up on a Pontiac assembly line, I imagined all the engineering and parts needed to swap a 440 into a GTO. Why would anyone swap a 375 horse Mopar for a perfectly good Ram Air III at 360 horse is another question. He listed all the cars he beat, and presumably owned afterwards, and all the places he raced around Memphis.

I decided to play along. I asked him whatever happened to this rare GTO? He said he still owned it and it was in Memphis. I said have a cousin in Memphis (I don't) and I'd love it if he could see the car and send me some photos. He explained that wouldn't be possible because he was hiding the car due to some altercation that involved gunshots and bullet holes in the GTO and it being "evidence". I said my cousin is very discreet. He refused saying he couldn't risk it.

I didn't say anything the rest of the ride....
Back in 76 I got a 1978 Econoline that I swapped in a 460 ford with a triple turbo charger system on it. I took it to the company softball game and I stole 17 bases. I'm fast as ****. Anyways, I was in my van back in 1976, I got it early because my cousin works at Chevy, and he was able to sneak the 78 prototype out the back door. Anyways,...
{edit}
Street racing lies not allowed

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed

Last edited by Dean; May 9th, 19 at 2:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 117 (permalink) Old May 9th, 19, 10:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

Speaking of old vans.... In the '80s, my dad bought one of my uncle's former company vans (maybe his first one) to use to haul antiques to the weekend markets. It was a '69 Econoline with the inline 6. Barely got out of its own way. And, being that my uncle was from north Jersey - it had plenty rust - among other issues. Anyway, I had to use it to drive to school for some time and one day went to drive it and the brake line blew out (rusted away of course). We got that fixed just in time to take it in for the annual safety inspection. Well, the news wasn't good. Shop said the frame rail holding the steering box was nearly rotted away and we were lucky it hadn't actually gone yet. We promptly abandoned it right then. (ok, we let the shop keep it for parts in exchange for the inspection fee).

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
post #108 of 117 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 12:50 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

When I was 15 years old, I was in the school band. We had to sell things all the time to fund our activities and trips. That year we were selling roach powder. To think of it now, I can see why we didn’t get a good reception from the people’s doors that we knocked on. Anyway, I was coming up the driveway to this house and I saw the back end of a car out from the end of either a bunch or tarps or blankets that were covering the car. What caught my eye was these huge wide tires on the back of that car. Now mind you this was 1971 and we weren’t used to seeing that kind of hardware anywhere but in the magazines. So instead of turning left off the driveway to go towards the front door I instinctively walked on towards the garage, which was set back behind the house. As I got closer I heard some rustling around. In the garage I found this guy who looked straight out of the 50s. His black hair was long, oily and slicked back. He had a white undershirt and some black or navy work slacks, like Dickeys. He was under the hood of a car that I had never seen. I started bombing him with questions about the car - what it was, etc. He gave me his name which I didn’t really hear and told me he was a mechanic for AJ Foyt. The car was an experimental Ford that was kind of like a Cheetah but had a FE engine. He said it had (from what I can remember) a special poly-fiber body. I had never seen such a huge engine and he told me it was a Ford SOHC motor. My first thought is that I want to hear it run. That quickly changed to I had to have a ride. However he was very gruff and really uninterested in entertaining a scrawny kid with zits. I was using everything I could think of to stay there and talk to him. I had so many questions and I couldn’t really get much information out him. After about an hour I had worked my way up to asking about hearing it run. He said it wouldn’t run for another hour or so. It was getting dark, and I really needed to start towards home because I had probably walked about 20 minutes from my house. I asked him if he was going to be working on it the next day as I was hoping to hear it run and maybe get a ride in it too. He just kind of grunted at me and I assumed that meant yes. I couldn’t get back the next day but did get back over there the following day. As I walked up to the house the garage door was pulled down. I looked through the window to get another glimpse of the car. Guess what? It wasn’t there. I thought he might be out testing it so I decided to wait around for a bit. Now I’m uneasy about other people’s property and wasn’t comfortable standing up by the garage, so I got on my bike and was just riding up and down the street, back and forth in front of his house. After a while I went back up to the house. I decided I would knock on the door to see if he was there or if I could get any information. As I was walking up to the house, there’s a big bay window and the drapes were open. I could see all the way through the house and it was empty. I could not even imagine what was going on. I went by that house day after day, week after week and a month passed before someone moved in to the house. This was in the days before the Information Age and if you couldn’t get it out the newspaper, magazine, library or directory assistance, it didn’t exist. I never saw or heard of him or the car over almost the last 50 years. I would have given anything to have a picture of that car. And then I woke up...that’s my story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Peterson
The motivation that drives the commission of the worst human atrocities is an inevitable social consequence of the refusal of the self conscience individual to make the sacrifices appropriate to establishing a harmonious life and their consequent degeneration into a kind of murderous and resentment filled rage propagating endlessly through its variations in society until everything comes to an end.
post #109 of 117 (permalink) Old May 20th, 19, 1:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

I'll add one. I've told this before, but it's been a while.

I bought my Camino when I was 16, and living in San Diego. One of the tings my friends and I liked to do was to go to car shows. We would travel all over Southern California to go check them out. So I found out that there was a Super Chevy show in Bakersfield, somewhere around 1992-93. I would have been 18, 19. I grab a buddy to go with me, and off we go. It's a 3-4 hour trip if I remember right, farhter than I had expected, and I was running a 12 bolt posi with 4.10 gears, so it was long and slow, but the speed limit was 55 back then. Anyway, part way there, I had pulled off for gas and getting back on the onramp I did what any young enthusiast would do and jumped on it through the gears. Problem being I lost the clutch pedal on the shift. We made it the rest of the way there that way, as well as through Bakersfield to the hotel, using the starter to get going at stop lights. I really don't remember now where we stopped to examine the damage, but the clutch ball had broken off, and sheared inside the block. SO while we had intended to see the show, now our main priority was the swap meet. We got there later than hoped for, lost in the days of reading maps and not knowing your way around in a strange place. We wandered the small swap meet and nobody seemed to have what I needed. Looked and looked and looked. Finally ran across a guy with a bare 409 block he was trying to sell. And sticking out the side of it with a golden glow around it was the clutch ball. I was able to buy it for $2, and with some needle nose plies in the parking lot, work out the shank of the old one, got the new one in and headed home.

I still have it today, it got swapped into my son's car several motor swaps back, then pulled out and set aside when we had to make a custom bracket for his car on the current motor.

Devin
Pete 67, 123pugsy and Pioneer4x4 like this.

Just an El Camino
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Son's build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My never-ending project:
post #110 of 117 (permalink) Old May 20th, 19, 8:03 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS427 View Post
...I was able to buy it for $2, and with some needle nose plies in the parking lot, work out the shank of the old one, got the new one in and headed home.

I still have it today, it got swapped into my son's car several motor swaps back, then pulled out and set aside when we had to make a custom bracket for his car on the current motor.

Devin
Reminds me of a buddy that had a CJ5 and something caused him to lose his clutch rod. Made one from a screwdriver and vice grips "just to get home" and kept it there for a long time.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #111 of 117 (permalink) Old May 20th, 19, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
Reminds me of a buddy that had a CJ5 and something caused him to lose his clutch rod. Made one from a screwdriver and vice grips "just to get home" and kept it there for a long time.
I'm known to use a Temporary-Permanent fix for many things.

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed
post #112 of 117 (permalink) Old May 20th, 19, 10:43 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Well Ed, that reminds me of one too.

When I was a kid, there was a guy maybe six or seven years older than me that lived on the next block over from my aunts house where I was staying.
One day I hear a loud car coming up the street and as it passes by, the kid is driving a Model A sedan with no muffler and no steering wheel, steering it with a pair of vice grips, raising heck, driving around the blocks.

Later on as we grew older, that guy was a mean bully and even some of the cops were afraid of him but he finally got sent to prison where he got murdered.
Pioneer4x4 likes this.

post #113 of 117 (permalink) Old May 20th, 19, 4:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Well Ed, that reminds me of one too.

When I was a kid, there was a guy maybe six or seven years older than me that lived on the next block over from my aunts house where I was staying.
One day I hear a loud car coming up the street and as it passes by, the kid is driving a Model A sedan with no muffler and no steering wheel, steering it with a pair of vice grips, raising heck, driving around the blocks.

Later on as we grew older, that guy was a mean bully and even some of the cops were afraid of him but he finally got sent to prison where he got murdered.
WOW! I was reading along, interesting, good hook, nice segue from my story to yours... Wow, cops afraid...
Then "prison where he got murdered."
I LLOL Literally Laughed out Loud!

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #114 of 117 (permalink) Old May 20th, 19, 5:35 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

I guess some inmate didn't take kindly to bullies

post #115 of 117 (permalink) Old May 20th, 19, 11:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Way back in the day I owned a 72 Chevelle for my DD. I was driving a boy and his sister to their home one Wednesday night after church. The boy had just had his fifteenth birthday, his dad was gonna take him to get his learner's permit the next day. His dad had already bought the kid a car, and he was bragging about how fast n furious he was gonna drive it. Being the responsible adult I am..lol, I cautioned him that antics on the street would get him in trouble or a wreck. I explained that his car weighed close to 2 tons, and you just never know when a child or animal may run in front of you and cause a bad situation. Those words were barely out of my mouth when a cat ran in front of us and I centered the cat. I looked in the rearview, the cat did a couple of tight laps in the street, ran into a drainage ditch and died. The only thing I could think of to say to the kid was "See?"

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #116 of 117 (permalink) Old May 21st, 19, 12:37 AM
Tech Team
Rob

Garage

I had been chasing this intermitant miss between 3rd 4th gear drove me nuts for month chasing it, its 2 days before my wedding and my best man said lets take it to his shop. There is 6 of them share this big unit have there cars there share the rent so it was cheap that way. I said ok toss him the keys,, drive it and drive it hard I need to find out whats up with it.

So we hit the highway, he pulls away a few times to get a feel , then he really got on it and pulled away, I couldnt catch up just barely seeing tail lights in distance ahead, I see the cut off I need and he is there waiting at red light. Car running sounds ok, then quits, I see him try start couple times but nothing, I get out as he does and all of a sudden bellows of smoke from under car start. and all you can smell is electrical, We pop hood and I disconnect the battery hoping that stops the smoke and no flames appear. We wait a few minutes smoke clears. We are 2 mins from the shop, I stay with car my best man goes to shop in his car and comes back with tow strap. We get it back to the shop and there 3 other guys there tell them whats going on. We look around all seems ok, cables etc nothing melted ?? go to hook up battery and the spark was like an arc welder essh. one guys crawls under looks around says the heat from starter is unreal, we let it cool and I got under started to unbolt it heard a click(I am now holding it with a work glove as its still hot to hold) we get it on bench solinoid seems ok no signs of shorting on connections. I unbolt the two long houseing bolts and pull them out. on the entire length of both bolts was like liguid black licorice,

we figure what happend when it was started the starter drive for some reason stayed engaged, the short drive buzzing along the highway must have cause it to overheat melt the insides. Luckliy it didnt go up in flames. we put on another starter hooked up battery started it several time make sure same thing doesnt happen.

After couple hours checking for the miss we re did compression test found one cylinder #5 lower.....2 days till wedding do we pull head see if its valve issue,,, we decide to pull it to see whats going on...springs look good we get to exhaust valve on #5 and its almost but only partially seated. bent valve seems strange its barely broken in,, we take look at cylinder with light and on top of piston we see something, its pounded and stuck finally get it out 1/4 inch wide and 3/4 inch long,, appear to be threaded at one time before getting pounded...

Needless to say it didint make it to wedding ,, didnt go up in flames thank god someone was watching over us. Ended up after honeymoon we got back first thing wife says we pulling the motor or just sending heads out .... to this day still cant figure out what and where that stud came from...almost looked like for the aircleaner but it was intact have it stashed somewhere in tool box all these years later.
Daron Craig likes this.
post #117 of 117 (permalink) Old May 21st, 19, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454chevSS View Post
I had been chasing this intermitant miss between 3rd 4th gear drove me nuts for month chasing it, its 2 days before my wedding and my best man said lets take it to his shop. There is 6 of them share this big unit have there cars there share the rent so it was cheap that way. I said ok toss him the keys,, drive it and drive it hard I need to find out whats up with it.

So we hit the highway, he pulls away a few times to get a feel , then he really got on it and pulled away, I couldnt catch up just barely seeing tail lights in distance ahead, I see the cut off I need and he is there waiting at red light. Car running sounds ok, then quits, I see him try start couple times but nothing, I get out as he does and all of a sudden bellows of smoke from under car start. and all you can smell is electrical, We pop hood and I disconnect the battery hoping that stops the smoke and no flames appear. We wait a few minutes smoke clears. We are 2 mins from the shop, I stay with car my best man goes to shop in his car and comes back with tow strap. We get it back to the shop and there 3 other guys there tell them whats going on. We look around all seems ok, cables etc nothing melted ?? go to hook up battery and the spark was like an arc welder essh. one guys crawls under looks around says the heat from starter is unreal, we let it cool and I got under started to unbolt it heard a click(I am now holding it with a work glove as its still hot to hold) we get it on bench solinoid seems ok no signs of shorting on connections. I unbolt the two long houseing bolts and pull them out. on the entire length of both bolts was like liguid black licorice,

we figure what happend when it was started the starter drive for some reason stayed engaged, the short drive buzzing along the highway must have cause it to overheat melt the insides. Luckliy it didnt go up in flames. we put on another starter hooked up battery started it several time make sure same thing doesnt happen.

After couple hours checking for the miss we re did compression test found one cylinder #5 lower.....2 days till wedding do we pull head see if its valve issue,,, we decide to pull it to see whats going on...springs look good we get to exhaust valve on #5 and its almost but only partially seated. bent valve seems strange its barely broken in,, we take look at cylinder with light and on top of piston we see something, its pounded and stuck finally get it out 1/4 inch wide and 3/4 inch long,, appear to be threaded at one time before getting pounded...

Needless to say it didint make it to wedding ,, didnt go up in flames thank god someone was watching over us. Ended up after honeymoon we got back first thing wife says we pulling the motor or just sending heads out .... to this day still cant figure out what and where that stud came from...almost looked like for the aircleaner but it was intact have it stashed somewhere in tool box all these years later.
That is nuts. I found a dowel that looked like it had been through a cruncher in my oil pump pick up screen. I have a picture of it somewhere.

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in