Everyone has a Story. What's yours? (no racing in the streets) - Page 6 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

178Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #76 of 116 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 19, 5:18 PM
Tech Team
Mike

re: Everyone has a Story. What's yours? (no racing in the streets)

Year, 1980

CAR, 1955 chevy sedan delivery, primer grey 400 RAM iv pontiac / th400

hoods fall off at stop light and we drive over hood. (driver forgot to put hood pins in)

Cops pulls up behind us and help us load the mangled hood into back of sedan. Cops open doors and we have 3 girls in back

Cops says " all you girls over 18 ?

They all respond YES SIR !! ( ya right )

cop looks at us and says : take them home... NOW !

NEXT STORY

pulled over in friends 1969 383 road runner on route 80 outside sacramento so friends can take a piss. ( late night and yes he was drunk)

cops pulls up behind me and ask why I stopped on side of road. I said so friend can take a leak,. he says what friend ??/

My friend fell down hill and got stuck in barbed wire fence.

cop helped me drag him up, put him in back seat and sent us on our way.
Daron Craig and 68-13427 like this.

15 years in Craft Brewing/ Distilling Industry
Lead Maintenance Mechanic
Submarine Service SSN 575 / SSN 683
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 116 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 19, 5:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by novass View Post
Year, 1980

CAR, 1955 chevy sedan delivery, primer grey 400 RAM iv pontiac / th400

hoods fall off at stop light and we drive over hood. (driver forgot to put hood pins in)

Cops pulls up behind us and help us load the mangled hood into back of sedan. Cops open doors and we have 3 girls in back

Cops says " all you girls over 18 ?

They all respond YES SIR !! ( ya right )

cop looks at us and says : take them home... NOW !

NEXT STORY

pulled over in friends 1969 383 road runner on route 80 outside sacramento so friends can take a piss. ( late night and yes he was drunk)

cops pulls up behind me and ask why I stopped on side of road. I said so friend can take a leak,. he says what friend ??/

My friend fell down hill and got stuck in barbed wire fence.

cop helped me drag him up, put him in back seat and sent us on our way.
That second story is freaking classic

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #78 of 116 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 19, 8:32 PM

The comment that I have heard the most when someone is looking at your car is "I had a car just like that, but I wrecked it"

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Daron Craig likes this.
post #79 of 116 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 19, 9:08 PM
Senior Tech Team

1985. I was with my uncle in his 71 C-10 CST. Nice truck, nice wheels, 350/th350. Anyway he was a few years older than me, I was 16. One of my cousins had just rolled his 67 tempest and died earlier in the evening. We were drowning our sorrows. Went to the accident scene about 11:15pm. We wire shining a spotlight where he was killed, all of the sudden there were light coming over the hill behind us.

My uncle says, is that a cop, I said I doubt it. Well we took off and we’re driving about 50 and this vehicle is really gaining on us. Lights us up so we pull over, I set my beer next to the seat between the seat and the door. Officer walking up, my uncle hands me his beer. 🤬. I set the bottle next to mine. Turns out it was a DNR officer and you can’t shine deer after 11:00. My uncle wasn’t talking very well, he asks him to step out of the truck. Me thinking this is my chance to get rid of the beer i said “do you want me to get out” NO! Stay in the vehicle. He comes around to my side, of course the beer bottles fall out.

Turns out he knew my deceased cousin, he asked where we lived (10 miles) he told us sorry to hear about our cousin, get your ass home and if I see you again tonight you are going to jail. Thanks cuz, RIP.

Another time 1988. - I had a 85 S-10 I had a v8 in it, lowered, nice wheels. Anyway, me and the girlfriend stopped in an deserted parking lot and were doing what teenagers do, pretty much naked, all of the sudden I hear the unmistakable sound of a D cell mag light knocking on the window.

State cops lit us up, I rolled down the window, he says- is everyone here where they are supposed to be? I said yes officer we are. He said have a good night.

Years later he went to the same church, I don’t know if he remembered me but he never mentioned anything.. 😬

post #80 of 116 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 19, 9:55 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Another 69 Malibu I had for a while;

My son's bud across the street from us got a restricted driver's license when he was 14 and was driving an old Honda or something to school and his part time job.

He said I want a Chevelle like yours so I told him about a 69 Malibu I had seen on a car lot and he bought it and drove it for two or three years or so and had it kinda wrecked in front and one quarter panel caved in and he quit driving it and had it parked in their back yard, behind an unattached garage for quite a while.

It was a small block automatic with factory buckets, console and tilt column and I wanted the floor shift tilt column so I asked if he wanted to sell it.
He said I think it froze up has a cracked motor now because the coolant runs out as fast as I pour it in.

So we agreed on a price (don't remember how much now) and I got it started and drove it across the street.
Then I saw that two freeze plugs had popped out so I pounded them back in and it had no coolant leaks.

I beat out the quarter panel, replaced the fenders with the old ones off of my 69 (which really didn't need replacing when I did my car but I had gotten a real good deal on a pair of new GM factory fenders) replaced the header panel and grill and put on a set of those ugly GM rally wheels.
I switched the tilt column with the one on my 69 (which I had sawed off the shift knub from and filled with body filler).

My son said "I wanted to buy that car from him" so I let him drive it.

He had rented an old brick house that was on 40 acres, with railroad tracks running across the back. The rent was cheap because it had a cistern for water and was an investment for the owner who was just waiting for it to become commercial property. (It's the main Carquest warehouse now)

Anyway, to my son and his friends it was party heaven and they liked to go four wheeling in back, taring up cars in the process. (One guy took a girl's Camaro out and got it stuck in the pond and it froze there until they tried to pull it out and yanked the rear end completely out from under it.)

One friend ran out of gas near the back of the property, close to the railroad tracks so my son decided to take him some gasoline by driving down the railroad tracks from the street crossing nearby.

My Malibu was on the tracks when they heard a train and when he tried to start it, it was dead, no click, nothing. (found out later that the fusible link had blown and the kid has replaced it with a piece of 14-2 house wiring which came loose driving it down the tracks)

One guy put his ear on the rails and said, it's on this set of tracks so they pushed the car over close to the other set.
When the train came it was on the set of tracks the car was on and they said when the engineer was trying to stop the train he just looked and shook his head as the engine knocked the car several feet.

I could have parted it out and saved the bucket seats and console, as well as some other parts but I was so pissed, I just gave it away and had it hauled off.

The railroad said that he was going to have to pay for all the time that they had to close the tracks and stop all the other trains but they never did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69_train_hit.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	592850  
123pugsy and Daron Craig like this.
post #81 of 116 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 19, 8:25 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Think I told this story once before, but here it is again: Around 1966 I had a '55 Chevy, 327/4 speed. Buddy had a '64 Impala, also 327/4 speed. We would run against each other in friendly little quarter mile races. Sometimes he won, sometimes I did. I always said the only reason he would win is because his car was newer and had better wheel bearings....

Anyway, one night we decided to see who had better wheel bearings. There was a long hill on a nice blacktop road about 15 miles from our small town. We drove out there in each car with our GF's as passengers. This was around 1 am with no traffic around. We stopped side-by-side at the very top of the hill with engines off, trannys in neutral, headlights on. We stepped out of each car and gave a push to get them rolling, then got back in. So here we are, coasting down the hill for about a mile. Got to the bottom doing maybe 40 mph. We coasted past a side road at the bottom when a car came out behind us with red lights flashing. Deputy Sherriff, and he was watching us all the way down. We coasted to the side with him behind us. He got out of his squad car and asked what the hell we're doing. So we told him. He checked our licenses, just shook his head and said he couldn't give us any tickets for speeding or drag racing and we weren't impeding traffic. We all had a good laugh, he told us not to do it again, and sent us on our way.

BTW, the Impala won the "race" by about 1 car length. I guess it DID have better wheel bearings.....
123pugsy, Daron Craig and 68-13427 like this.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #82 of 116 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 19, 8:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Another 69 Malibu I had for a while;

My son's bud across the street from us got a restricted driver's license when he was 14 and was driving an old Honda or something to school and his part time job.

He said I want a Chevelle like yours so I told him about a 69 Malibu I had seen on a car lot and he bought it and drove it for two or three years or so and had it kinda wrecked in front and one quarter panel caved in and he quit driving it and had it parked in their back yard, behind an unattached garage for quite a while.

It was a small block automatic with factory buckets, console and tilt column and I wanted the floor shift tilt column so I asked if he wanted to sell it.
He said I think it froze up has a cracked motor now because the coolant runs out as fast as I pour it in.

So we agreed on a price (don't remember how much now) and I got it started and drove it across the street.
Then I saw that two freeze plugs had popped out so I pounded them back in and it had no coolant leaks.

I beat out the quarter panel, replaced the fenders with the old ones off of my 69 (which really didn't need replacing when I did my car but I had gotten a real good deal on a pair of new GM factory fenders) replaced the header panel and grill and put on a set of those ugly GM rally wheels.
I switched the tilt column with the one on my 69 (which I had sawed off the shift knub from and filled with body filler).

My son said "I wanted to buy that car from him" so I let him drive it.

He had rented an old brick house that was on 40 acres, with railroad tracks running across the back. The rent was cheap because it had a cistern for water and was an investment for the owner who was just waiting for it to become commercial property. (It's the main Carquest warehouse now)

Anyway, to my son and his friends it was party heaven and they liked to go four wheeling in back, taring up cars in the process. (One guy took a girl's Camaro out and got it stuck in the pond and it froze there until they tried to pull it out and yanked the rear end completely out from under it.)

One friend ran out of gas near the back of the property, close to the railroad tracks so my son decided to take him some gasoline by driving down the railroad tracks from the street crossing nearby.

My Malibu was on the tracks when they heard a train and when he tried to start it, it was dead, no click, nothing. (found out later that the fusible link had blown and the kid has replaced it with a piece of 14-2 house wiring which came loose driving it down the tracks)

One guy put his ear on the rails and said, it's on this set of tracks so they pushed the car over close to the other set.
When the train came it was on the set of tracks the car was on and they said when the engineer was trying to stop the train he just looked and shook his head as the engine knocked the car several feet.

I could have parted it out and saved the bucket seats and console, as well as some other parts but I was so pissed, I just gave it away and had it hauled off.

The railroad said that he was going to have to pay for all the time that they had to close the tracks and stop all the other trains but they never did.

That's crazy!

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed
post #83 of 116 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 19, 12:52 PM
John

I took my 69 Z/28 to a show. It's Daytona Yellow. This guy comes up and says "I like your car, but I hate the color." My reply: "I'm sure glad I bought it for me and not for you."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11-3-13 018.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	592906  
post #84 of 116 (permalink) Old May 6th, 19, 9:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage
Re: Everyone has a Story. What's yours? (no racing in the streets)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 SS L78 View Post
I took my 69 Z/28 to a show. It's Daytona Yellow. This guy comes up and says "I like your car, but I hate the color." My reply: "I'm sure glad I bought it for me and not for you."
What an Ass____! That is a nice Z.

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed
post #85 of 116 (permalink) Old May 6th, 19, 9:32 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
I'm not a yellow guy, but that car is gorgeous. It amazes me how people are these days. I see a lot of things at car and bike shows that I don't really care for and would do differently. But I never make comments to the owners about it cuz it's his car, not mine.

Sometimes my wife is guilty of critiquing cars when we walk around looking at them. I have to remind her not to do that. It's funny, she doesn't think giving her opinion is rude, but the way it comes out sometimes sounds rude to me...But also, if she like something. She will tell you all about it and point out all the cool stuff she likes.

Some people are just like that...... Not trying to be rude, but want to tell you what they like and don't like..

Hmmm, maybe that's the difference between being a "car guy" versus being just somebody that looks at cars....

Last edited by 68SuperSport*; May 6th, 19 at 9:52 AM.
post #86 of 116 (permalink) Old May 6th, 19, 10:18 AM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Quote:
There are very few cars that look good in yellow, but a '69 Camaro is definitely one of them!
post #87 of 116 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 7:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage

Definitely looks good in yellow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed
post #88 of 116 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 8:02 PM
Senior Tech Team

Yup 1 gen camaros and C3s
PEople that are always critical got something wrong with them. I wake up next to someone like that.
From the word go everyones bad, everything is bad, poor her. Has the world by the nuts...its never enough.

No real stories, did a lot of the same knucklehead stuff as the rest of ya...surprised Im still alive to be honest.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.
post #89 of 116 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 8:20 PM
Tech Team
Brad

Garage

Here's one that has nothing to do with shows or the car going fast. When I first bought my Chevelle I had a 1966 Corvette that was getting work done at Dick Guldstrand's shop in Culver City. I swapped the cars to take the Corvette for a bit to check things out. When I came back a few days later to let them finish up the work on the Corvette, one of the mechanics said he knew my Chevelle. Back in the day he used to do quite a bit of street racing, and there was a guy with a 1967 Chevelle SS with an LS6 and nitrous that was really fast. He pointed to a hole in my dash and said that's where the nitrous switch was.

I think that explains a lot about the car. Why would a Chevelle SS396 have a small block, T400, and 2.73 open differential? I'm guessing the guy either got into too much trouble, ran out of cash, or something like that. He either blew the motor or sold it off to another racer and parted the Chevelle back with whatever he could get. The family I bought it from had the car from the early 1970s (1972 or 1974 I think) and it was their daily driver family car.

The final surprise from the race days was when I decided to paint the car. Turn out the guy wasn't too good at keeping the car on the road. Both sides were creased really badly. I ended up replacing the right front fender, both doors, and the left rear quarter panel because buying replacements at the swap meets, replacing them, and making them straight was cheaper than trying to fix the mangled bodywork.

Brad Waller http://bradwaller.com/chevelle
'66 Corvette | 352/??? | 4-speed | Wilwood Brakes | 245/50/16
'67 Chevelle | ex-SS396 | 355/700R4 | F-Body Brakes | 275/40/17
post #90 of 116 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 9:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

whats wrong with street racing stories? love those
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in