Car Show last weekend - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

18Likes
  • 7 Post By HKalin
  • 2 Post By Robinls5
  • 1 Post By TerryAT
  • 1 Post By Pioneer4x4
  • 2 Post By Seven2bu
  • 1 Post By Pioneer4x4
  • 1 Post By Stalkingbear
  • 1 Post By Alan F
  • 1 Post By cuisinartvette
  • 1 Post By Seven2bu

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Garage
Unhappy Car Show last weekend

I went to my first car show in Prescott last weekend which started out in a manner that had me really frustrated. I had pulled the '65 out into the cul-de-sac and waited for my wife to park her car in the garage. Thinking I would be clever to grab the garage door opener before she shut the garage door, I moved the floor shifter to the park position and jumped out of the car.

When I turned back to the Malibu, it was not where I left it. I had, in fact, decided to move itself to my neighbors mailbox and in doing so, pushed it right over. I jumped back into the car and backed it away... mailbox post and mailbox were not damaged at all. The car just pushed it our of the ground along with a fairly large chunk of concrete. (Nice to know that the original installer didn't know how to dig a hole for a post!)

Seems that I didn't place the car into park... just neutral.

I walked around the front of the car and.... yep... dent right over the left front fender eyebrow. I do have another trim piece but the fender it dented.

This morning I will be taking it down to the body shop so the guy can give a quote …. my wife will follow me so she can leave her car so it can be repaired due to a backing up issue she had in a parking lot, even after all of the sensors were screaming at her to STOP!!!

And yes, I did enjoy telling her "now we are even..." when she started in on me about MY fiasco. That got her quiet right away.

Not a good couple of weeks in the car department.

But... the car show was great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 11:05 AM
Senior Tech Team
Brian

Re: Car Show last weekend

That stinks, but we all get in a hurry and stupid stuff happens once in a while. It can always be worse I guess. Hopefully you'll be back to cruising before long.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

My wife would have said to me, boy I'm glad I didn't do that I wouldn't have heard the end of it.
427L88, LeoP, Stalkingbear and 4 others like this.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 12:45 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Ouch!

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 1:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Here is what I did. Going to load my 1970 SS 454 M-22 ( Tlr. Queen) into the trailer for a show. So I am backing it out of the garage and I hear a thump/Thud. So I take it out of gear, Emg. Brake on and step out.
Then I see a RED tailight lens and some pot metal on the ground, I just backed my El Camino into my own F#[email protected] Silverado in my driveway.
Did not put a mark on the Silverado. I used a lot of words that will never make it into Websters big book !
Bob
Trust me ,, My wife will NEVER forget this...
LeoP and Stalkingbear like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 1:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Did you just leave the mailbox lay there?
Stalkingbear likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 2:16 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

I remember when my dad backed the El Camino into the garage and the floor jack handle was down at the back of the garage. He heard and felt a pop. When he checked the jack handle went into a taillight. It went right between the 2 stainless trim pieces that attach to the lens, and broke only the lens, nothing else. And that is the only part for a 1967 El Camino taillight you can buy new.
Stalkingbear likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 2:41 PM
Tech Team

Garage

Hey thats not all that bad . Imagine this my friend and I were camping once with our girlfriends at the time I think we might have been 18-19 years old . We are listening to the stereo in my buddys lifted 4x4 truck with a 4 speed in it and he asks his girlfriend who was a really cute little blonde gal to start up the truck and let it run to charge the battery . Well she didn't know it was a stick and would lurch forward when she turned the key . I'm sure you can see where this is going by now right ? She hit the key the truck fired right up in 1st gear and lurched forward and ran over a picnic table in our camp site then a Weber bbq in the site next to us and then came to a stop up against an Oak tree 4 sites away from ours . All the while she was trying to chase it and navigating the trail of carnage the truck left and jump up and reach the key to shut it off . We got kicked out of the camp ground until an older couple came and vouched that we weren't driving drunk and it was an honest mistake .
Stalkingbear and Saltherring like this.

72 Malibu Family Fun Car
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 3:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven2bu View Post
Hey thats not all that bad . Imagine this my friend and I were camping once with our girlfriends at the time I think we might have been 18-19 years old . We are listening to the stereo in my buddys lifted 4x4 truck with a 4 speed in it and he asks his girlfriend who was a really cute little blonde gal to start up the truck and let it run to charge the battery . Well she didn't know it was a stick and would lurch forward when she turned the key . I'm sure you can see where this is going by now right ? She hit the key the truck fired right up in 1st gear and lurched forward and ran over a picnic table in our camp site then a Weber bbq in the site next to us and then came to a stop up against an Oak tree 4 sites away from ours . All the while she was trying to chase it and navigating the trail of carnage the truck left and jump up and reach the key to shut it off . We got kicked out of the camp ground until an older couple came and vouched that we weren't driving drunk and it was an honest mistake .
Now-a-days, that would be on youtube.
Stalkingbear likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 3:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Garage

TerryAT…. as tempting as it was... I did not.

The neighbor is on vacation for two weeks, this happened at around 6:15 A.M. and there is a house going up across the street from his house. But, I did the right thing, contacted him via text and asked him what he would like me to do... try to replant it, wait until he got home, whatever he wanted. Also told him I would help him however I could and pay for any expense.

So his mail was not interrupted because he has it on hold.

And I did straighten the whole thing back up so it didn't look like anything happened. I know the Home Owners Assoc. would have written him a letter throwing a fit because it was not like the other mailboxes if I had not put it upright.

Body shop threw $500 for the repair, no bondo…. plus they are going to fix my hood that doesn't close quite right.

Enjoyed the stories you all shared!
LeoP likes this.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 5:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinls5 View Post
Here is what I did. Going to load my 1970 SS 454 M-22 ( Tlr. Queen) into the trailer for a show. So I am backing it out of the garage and I hear a thump/Thud. So I take it out of gear, Emg. Brake on and step out.
Then I see a RED tailight lens and some pot metal on the ground, I just backed my El Camino into my own F#[email protected] Silverado in my driveway.
Did not put a mark on the Silverado. I used a lot of words that will never make it into Websters big book !
Bob
Trust me ,, My wife will NEVER forget this...
Bummer. Just the lens and taillight housing?? ...or bumper/body damage too?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 19, 8:44 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

When I was 16, I remember that I was angry and going to leave in my car. My mother’s car was uncharacteristically parked behind mine and I didn’t see it out of the back window of my Mach1. She had a 70 Bonneville with a real big chrome nose on the front that made a huge divot in my bumper. Talk about feeling stupid, after I got over the anger.
Stalkingbear likes this.

People don’t like to have to think in high resolution. Jordan Peterson. That’s why we are forced in to so many binary choices.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 19, 9:21 AM
Senior Tech Team

Ah, it happens....was making some vid clips few days back and in one of them Im grabbing/turning the steering wheel. The car was rolling backwards as I never finished adjusting the ebrake. Oops!
Lease its fixable, youll be back on the road soon. The wife will "be mad til she gets glad"...whenever that is hah.
Stalkingbear likes this.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 19, 1:22 PM
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
Now-a-days, that would be on youtube.
No doubt about it !!!
Stalkingbear likes this.

72 Malibu Family Fun Car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in